1 pileated woodpecker pic

Willy4003

Reaction score
Nice predator. Looks like you'll be getting more alright.

dgl1948

Reaction score
Very hard to find these birds. Great work. That is the first nesting cavity of one of these that I have seen. Keep us posted.

abwtfanatic

Reaction score
The nesting cavity is about 18 feet high. I had been seeing/hearing these guys in about an 80 acre bush all spring and started looking for their nest. I was surprised it only took a couple of hours to find it. They usually drill into a large, smooth-barked live tree on the south or east side at least 15 feet high. In that 80 acres there were not very many trees that suited their needs so it wasn't too hard to find.

bpshorty9

Reaction score
nice! thats the male.... he's got the red under his eyes, the females don't! They are hard to get pics of!

wildebeast

Reaction score
Great picture, I found quite a few nests over the years, but never could find a way to set up a camera.

Have watched the nests and you should get some fantastic photos of the young running up and down the tree before they learn to fly. They won't stay long around the nest after they learn to fly.

That's a nice nesting tree for pictures and can't wait to see more.

cliff

Canis latrans

Reaction score
That will be great for pictures when there are two or three heads sticking out of the hole each with their beaks wide open screaming for food.

Would you mind posting a picture of your setup for us?

skeeterbait

Reaction score
I am assuming you have the cam on a nearby tree and are using a ladder or climbing stand to check it? Any problem with them swooping at you defending the nest? Very different, I am looking forward to future pics of nestlings.

abwtfanatic

Reaction score
I've mounted the camera on a mount I built out of 1 by 4. It is bunged to the tree 15 feet up and an offset section holds the cam about 30 inch's from the cavity. I'm using tree steps to access it which I remove to prevent easy access for the theives.

abwtfanatic

Reaction score
I have only seen the male at the cavity so far and he seems pretty tame. It doesn't seem to bother him when I'm around. Also, I'm not even sure yet if they are nesting in this cavity.

abwtfanatic

Reaction score
I will try to remember to take a picture of the set up next time i'm there.

Top Bottom