100 Feet

Swampy

Reaction score
I have a question for all of you refuge (Sac Del LDC) hunters. When you get a lucky draw and choose to hunt a blind or blind site, how close to the blind do you stay? I have seen guys that believe a hundred feet means the whole pond. A couple of times I have had guys move to within unsafe shotgun range of the tank I was hunting in. ( Yes, I hunt in the tank.) What does a hundred feet mean to you?

Duck Fan

Reaction score
Have hunted blind sites on refuges for 10 + years now and never had a problem with the 100 foot rule.  There are certainly guys that extend the range but I have had more issues with guys "sailing" high birds and then walking through my setup to get to them.  If I ever see anyone outside their 100 foot range, and not retreiving birds, but they are not bothering my hunt, I probably won't get too excited.  But, if they are taking over a pond that I share too, then that is a different story and they will "hear" from me for sure.

It sure beats the guys on free roam that plop down right next to me.....

(Edited by Duck Fan at 12:08 pm on Aug. 8, 2001)

hntndux

Reaction score
Well, 100ft means 100ft but it really depends on the blind your in.  Some blinds are far enough away from each other that 150ft doesn't hurt where others #3 and #5 at Delevan for example are so close that 50ft is too far from the blind.  I think if people just used common sense, which can be a rare find on the refuges, there wouldn't be a problem with the 100ft rule.

Jay

Reaction score
The spirit of the rule is to allow some freedom of movement outside the blind and yet not interfere with other nearby blinds. As long as hunters abide by the spirit I don't have a problem. The only problem I've had was a flagrant cases with a guy standing on the levee between blinds and pass shooting birds working our dekes.

The feds are toying with eliminating the 100 foot rule at Sac and requiring guys to hunt from the blind. Not this season but maybe next. It's easier for them to make a blanket "in the blind rule" than to  enforce the existing 100 foot rule.

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
That's funny, Jay, because the only reason we have the 100 ft rule is the old refuge manager went out hunting on Sac.  He figured out how crappy hunting out of the blind was and he, Denise and Greg moved to the nearest tule patch within the first hour.  The next year we had the 100 foot rule.  I think Kevin will veto the idea, last time I talked to him he wasn't in favor of eliminating the 100 ft rule, but said the state wardens had requested it for ease of enforcement.  It's nolonger about quality of the hunt, but ease of enforcement, NOT.  

E A Hunt

Reaction score
It's a shame the actions of a few blow it for everybody else. How hard is it for wardens to police this rule ? I hardly ever see a warden roaming about after shoot time anyway.
I have run into them on the way out but never while in the field.

You would think that if the refuge staff and wardens made it 100% clear in the morning pep talk and if the punishment for breaking the rules was stiff. Only an idiot would think about breaking the rules.
If you risked loseing your refuge privlages for the year would you wander to a tule patch more than 35 to 40 paces away ?

Duck Fan

Reaction score
I know that I would be VERY opposed to the elimination of the 100 foot rule....and from what I heard at the Sac meeting months ago, I don't recall any hunters that wanted it.

Obviously, it is hard to keep cover on every blind on a refuge so providing a hunter with an opportunity to stand outside the actual blind and stay hidden by somem tule patches is good for everyone.  I want the hunters "next" to me to be hidden as well as they can.  As we know, most of these "mud hills" have nothing to help hide the hunters, especialy when you have several of them trying to stay inside the "can".

I think we would have more safety issues requiring all 4 hunters (guns) to stay inside the pit blind...and the enforcement team would probably have more to deal with if we require everyone to stay put.

As said before, I have not seen a problem....and I sure hope no one tries to fix something that 'ain't broke as far as I have seen.

Jay - I liked the trip details...sounds like fun.  I just retunred from Alaska cruise and got in some nice salmon fishing with my wife.  Caught our limits of humpback (pink) salmon..Great time.  You gotta love "vacations"!

Greenhead

Reaction score
For me, 100 feet is typically the exact distance to the first decent tule patch I can find. I think that's true for most.

Jay

Reaction score
I like your measuring tape there GH. It's the same one I take out to blind.

twoducks

Reaction score
I think the wheels are in motion to move towards manditory stay in the blinds.  It isn't being talked about to much but I have heard the state staff at Sac. talk about it.  Two years ago there was a lot of people wandering around in the blind sites, last year I think Bill Fish, the Sac hunt area manager did a good job of staying on top of things.  The year before we had a manager by committe and not a lot of interest to enforce the rules.  I do not like to hunt in the blinds as a rule but will in certain blind sites. At Little Dry Creek there is not a 100 foot rule its STAY IN THE BLIND.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
One bluebird day at Wister I'm peeking out of a half shut eye from boredom and I see the guys 3 levees over rocking their stake back and forth. What the heck?

I BS you not, they pulled that stake out of the ground and moved down the levee to a different hole. About 20 minutes later we could hear another group hollering at the relocators to git back where they come from. Sure enough, the same 2 started down our way and we headed them off with some of our own hollering.

I always wondered what happened to the stakes in certain ponds, I got my answer that day.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom