12 ga. for upland game

gordon

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a 12ga for upland game been looking at Wal-Mart.. They have an 1100  auto for 369.99, A mossburg 835 in camo 399.98. & a Daly Auto for 299.98... For the money what would be the best ???

Thanks
Gordon

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
I'll probably make some enemies with this post, but here goes:  I'd stay away from the Mossberg.  I 've not had good experiences with them.  Truthfully, I haven't used one that was made in recent years but the guns I had 7+ years ago were all junk ~ broken firing pin, broken safety, just plain low quality.  I'd buy a Remington much sooner than I would a Mossberg.  Don't know anything about the Dalys.  Now I shoot a Beretta Pintail.  Talk about a sweet gun, hoo-boy!  I just love this thing!

Best of luck choosing your new toy,
Paul

Fubar

Reaction score
Gordon  I would have to agree with Paul. If you are only going to use the gun for Upland Game the 1100 would be my choice. You didnt say if these guns had fixed or changable chokes. Used to be all shotguns had a fixed choke. Now most new ones have removable choke tubes. I like to be able to change the choke. A friend of mine has a Mossburg 835 in camo.He has had very good luck with it. He shoots 3.5 in shells at ducks and geese and it has withstood all the punishment. I have inthe past seen some Mossburgs give up. They may be making them better now. If you think there is a possibility that you may hunt Waterfowl or Turkeys in the future you may want a camo gun with 3.5 in capability.                      Fubar

steve

Reaction score
I would agree if your only going for upland game go with the 1100,I would not be afraid of buying the mossberg.I've used a mossberg for 15 years and virtually no problems .

mtngoat

Reaction score
Ultimatly your better off with the gun that fits you the best. Shoulder them and see what naturally goes into position the easiest without much adjusting. That will be the gun that you have the best hunts with. Semi-autos are nice to shoot, but tend to jam at the most unsuspecting times during the hunt. With proper maintance and the right shells this can be avoided, but its still a risk. If you hunt hard throught the brush its impossible to keep your gun in nice shape. This is also a situation where debris in the chamber cause the semi to jam. So don't spend a lot of money for an upland game gun unless you have to. I have an over and under berreta, its very light and fits my shoulder well, but It's a little pricey for smashing throught the bushes. However the money I've saved in the cost of shells over the first two seasons has paid for it. I was disapointed in the shape it was in after the first season and since then have come to respect it as a tool rather then the work of art it really is. My hunting partner uses an 1100, and it works well as long as he keeps it clean and changes the o rings once or twice a season. Hope this is helpful?  

BigDog

Reaction score
I guess I have to put my two cents in here. For me, there are two major points here. One, where are you going to hunt. I hunt clubs but I also tend to occasioally find myself out in the rough stuff. So, for me, it would be a waste of money to buy a fine gun that I would have to worry about scratching or dinging it up.
Two, what am I going to hunt. Lately, I have been finding that my 12's are too much for upland birds. Especially pheasant. Even light loads will damage a bird that is close. I just went out and bought a little 20 that I am going to try this year.
So, anyhow..... for me, for the best all round 12 that I can use hard and not worry about, I would vote for the Remington 870. For now that is.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey Gordon,

Any reason you're only looking at semi-autos?  Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, only curious.  I'm personally not real big on autoloaders... too many cases of jams at the worst possible time.  But I know a lot of people swear by them as much as I swear at them.  

I use an ancient 12 ga. Savage/Fox side by side on everything from ducks to quail, and love it.  (I also have a side by side black powder 12ga that's great for quail and doves.)  

Before I went to the doubles, I used a couple of Mossberg 500s, one in 12 ga and one in 20.  The 20 was probably the best gun I ever owned.  I could empty six shots as fast as any Browning A-5, and hit what I wanted with every shot. Of course, I was shooting that thing every day.  Ahh, the joys of growing up in the boonies.  

For upland birds, I'd highly recommend a 20 ga, either in pump or double.  Easy and relatively cheap to shoot as well as light on the shoulder and in the hand.  Of course, if you can only have one shotgun, you'd be best to stick with the 12 ga.

That's my two cents' worth, and it didn't cost you a penny.  Just remember, you get what you paid for.  ;-)

gordon

Reaction score
Thank You One & All !! Affordability is more of a facter then Auto or Pump. Back in the day I shot Browning Auto Savage double.. I'll be hunting in rugged area. I'm going to hunt turkey, quail, rabbit, & waterfowl with it.. So I was looking for one that could take a licking and keep on ticking..
Once again.. Thank You All !!

Gordon

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Well, heck, you didn't say that affordability was a major driver.   In such a case, I'd have to agree with the BigDog and go with the Remington 870 Express.  Those things are absolutely bulletproof.  Far and away the best value for the money.  

Happy hunting,
Paul

bjw99

Reaction score
I'd take a look at the Baikal shotguns.  I have two.  They're solid guns and they are a bargain.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Gordon,

For the price and durability the REM 807 Express is hard to beat. I've drug mine through all kinds of muck and it still shoots even though it looks like a beater. A little TLC and paint and back in business.

I've seen too many Mossbergs in the field go belly up to recommend them to anyone. I like their ambidextrous safety since I'm a lefty but I have seen that plastic piece broken off more than once.

I do too much sneaking in the nasty stuff to only get up for a shot and have my gun jammed or inoperable.

Kentuck

Reaction score
I would stay away from the 870 express if most of what you are hunting is upland game. I have one and love it for waterfowl and turkey but can't hit the broadside of a barn when quail hunting. It's just too heavy for that type of shooting for me. Not that it wouldn't be for you, I just found I could not swing it fast enough for quail. just my .02

Jay

Reaction score
For upland game shorter is better, for waterfowl longer is better. Barrel length that is.

I love a 24" barrel on pheasants, dove and quail. But for ducks and geese nothing shorter than 28" will do the job for me,

A

Ashl;ey Wolf

Sorry Boyz, My vote goes to the 1100. Bought it with my paper route money 31 years ago and still blasting away.And! get this. I'm on my second O ring.Through Mud ,rain and snow have 1100 ready to go.Burn that powder!

db 183

Reaction score
I HAVE A MOSSBERG 500. IT HAS NOT BEEN A PROBLEM WITH DURABILITY BUT IT DOES NOT PATTERN WELL. I AM GOING TO BE REPLACING IT AS WELL. I AM GOING FOR AN AUTO LOADER AS WELL BUT ONLY BECAUSE OF A DISABILITY I HAVE. I WILL PROBABLY GO WITH A REMINGTON.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
Like mntgoat, I've got a Beretta O/U & its light weight is perfect for the long treks after those quail.  I still use my 870 for the Dove opener (my first shotgun).  I've got two buddies who WERE pretty good shots until they bought autoloaders.  Now, they know they've got three quick shots on every bird and they usually use them.  My sweet O/U does me and my tummy just fine.  Shoot straight.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom