14th Annual Gun Dog Showdown Mar 9

JForgy

Reaction score
The San Gabriel Valley chapter of Quail Unlimited will be having a Gun Dog Showdown on March 9, they use Chukars and limit the hunter to five rounds to take 3 birds, and the hunter/dog team are timed.  Pointers virsus Flushers, lots of friendly competition, if you want more information email sgvqu@onebox.com

JForgy

Reaction score
The San Gabriel Valley chapter of Quail Unlimited will be having a Gun Dog Showdown on March 9, they use Chukars and limit the hunter to five rounds to take 3 birds, and the hunter/dog team are timed.  Pointers virsus Flushers, lots of friendly competition, if you want more information email sgvqu@onebox.com  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoadog

Reaction score
 Where is this located, probably southern CA since i have never heard of San Gabriel Valley.

Brian

QEU

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from Whoadog on 12:43 pm on Jan. 21, 2002
 Where is this located, probably southern CA since i have never heard of San Gabriel Valley.

Brian<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>
San Gabriel is about 15 miles Northeast of Los Angeles.

JForgy

Reaction score
The entry fee is $50, it's a great way to spend a Saturday morning.  The contact phone number that was in today LA Times is the secondary number.  You can leave your phone number at 866-206-9070 extension 6715, or email sgvqu@onebox.com and have an entry form emailed to you.

JForgy

Reaction score
The article in today's La Times about the Gun Dog Showdown lists the secondary contact phone number.  Please leave your phone number at 866-206-9070 extension 6715 or email sgvqu@onebox.com to have an entry form emailed to you.

Gr8Unknown

Reaction score
Here's the info from thier website

Event Information
Event: Gundog Shootout at Prado  
Description: 14th Annual Gundog Shootout, friendly competition between the flushers and pointers  
Event Date: 03/09/02  
Start Time: 7am  
End Time:  
Contact Name: SGVQU  
Contact Phone: 8662069070x6715  
Contact Email: sgvqu@onebox.com  

Gr8Unknown

Reaction score
Here's the info from thier website-
Event Information
Event: Gundog Shootout at Prado  
Description: 14th Annual Gundog Shootout, friendly competition between the flushers and pointers  
Event Date: 03/09/02  
Start Time: 7am  
End Time:  
Contact Name: SGVQU  
Contact Phone: 8662069070x6715  
Contact Email: sgvqu@onebox.com  

JForgy

Reaction score
About 40 dog/owner teams were there.  First place went to Bill Hinz with a Yellow Lab, second place went to Scott King with a Yellow Lab, and third place went to Kimberly Terry with a Pudelpointer.  Sorry I don't have the names of the dogs.

Gr8Unknown

Reaction score
I attened this event as a spectator, I don't own a dog. I live nearby in Corona. I have to say that it's a unique facility. I wish I'd known about it when I had my Brittany. If your looking for a place to train your dog you should check it out. Most of the dogs were GSP, Labs, Brittanys, with a few Musterlanders and Pudelpointers. It was a nice show case for a variety of breeds and their abilities.

long shot

Reaction score
Is this a yearly event? Any English Springer Spaniel ,(field bred), enter this year?

rlwright

Reaction score
Long shot,

Welcome to the forum, Jesse has the most comprehensive and updated site on the net, you'll end up spending alot of time here.

I was wondering the same thing, I plan on entering my springer next year when she's older. As far as I know it's a yearly event.

Gr8Unknown

Reaction score
  I arrived a little late. It started at 7 am, I got there about 9:30. I didn't see any springers, and it looks like a yearly event.

JForgy

Reaction score
Results of 14th annual Gun Dog Showdown from March 23, 2002

On March 9th we gathered at the Prado Dog Training area for a fun day of friendly competition.  This is always a day that is as much fun for the competitors as it is for the spectators.  With 10 different dog breeds and 41 runs there were plenty of variety and hunting styles to observe.  This year was very competitive with 11 dog/human teams collecting 3 birds in less than 10 minutes.

In first place was Bill Hinz and Buddy, a Yellow Lab with a run of 5:45, 3 shots 1 safety, score 61.  In second place was Scott King and Simon, a Yellow Lab with a run of 5:40, 3 shots, score 57.33.  In third place was Kim Terry and Blitz, a Pudelpointer with a run of 6:21, 3 shots, score 54.6.  In fourth place was Ron Gibbons and Heide, a German Short-Haired Pointer with a run of 7:32, 3 shots score 49.87.  In fifth place was Scott King again, but this time with Tucker, a Yellow Lab with a run of 6:31, 5 shots, 1 safety, score 47.93.  In sixth place was Kim Terry and Blitz again, with a run of 8:30, 3 shots, score 46.
In seventh place was Ed Claire and Cameo, a Brittany with a run of 9:20, 3 shots, score 42.67.  In eighth place was Craig McClury and Jake, a Brittany with a run of 9:32, 3 shots, score 41.87.  In ninth place was Paul Stoeffler and Heike, a German Short-Haired Pointer with a run of 9:41, 3 shots, score 41.27.  In tenth place was Wendell Deppe and Ginger, a Brittany with a run of 9:56, 4 shots, score 35.1.  In eleventh place was Tom Mitchell and Hunter Bear, a Lab with a run of 9:56, 5 shots, score 30.27

So this year the flusher/human teams took the first two spots.  With Kim Terry placing third it marks the first time a woman has placed in the competition!  Kim proved this was not a fluke by having two scoring runs.  It also marks the second year in a row that Pudelpointers have placed.  As many have never seen a Pudelpointer, this is a great example that the Gun Dog Showdown is a place to see a wide variety of breeds in action.

Thanks to Vahe Alaverdian, Robert Armijo, Dave Bills, Tim Bovard, Hugh Bowles, Wendell Deppe, John Forgy, Kinde Forgy, Rusty Fraser, Philippe Lapin, Mary Morris, Gerard Orban, Blair Pike, and others who helped make the Gun Dog Showdown a success.

See you in March 2003 for another great Gun Dog Showdown presented by SGVQU.

JForgy

Reaction score
The review of the Gun Dog Show was written and results compiled by Tim Bovard, Chariman of SGVQU, it will appear in the April Newsletter.

Next years 15th Gun Dog Showdown will be in March of 2003.

rlwright

Reaction score
Went to Prado today (4/14/02) with the dog and she got one chukar, must be a left over. I never fired a shot at it.  

Top Bottom