.17 Swager or Aussie extruder

reelman1

Reaction score
AMMOe or wildbirdhunter, MarinePMI or any of you guys ever try the swager route to a .17 from .22lr? I think the Australians and the military have done some of it, but I can't find the old links.

I've got the urge and some bolt guns lying around that need to be used(modified). I am thinking the Aguila reamer, reground, would give the
throat need to get things started down the tube.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I know of one smith that is still doing that Randy at CPC.
He is the guy to talk to on this.
here is his web site.
CPC

WBH

reelman1

Reaction score
I finally found the "real story" on the Myra .17/.22 extuder if anyone is interested.
2100 fps was claimed by some, with a bc that really outdoes the current .17 rf's.

Matilda2pdr

Reaction score
I have an article / review in a magazine done on the .20 Myra Extruder... It's accuracy was good and the reviewer stated that he thought the round hit small game significantly harder than the standard .22lr (due to increased bc of the swaged projectile and the increased rotational force imparted to the projectile as well).

The rifle in the review was built on a Norinco JW-4 or JW-15 action and fitted in an inexspensive Aussie mad synthetic stock.

One of the main reasons I can see for this round is that it uses standard .22lr ammo and this is generally significantly cheaper to purchase than the .22mag and newer .17 cal rimfire rounds.

Top Bottom