• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

17hmr vs 17wsm

jbcaptain11

Performance between the 17hmr and 17wsm

From what i can tell the 17hmr is tried and trued and seems to do its job well.

The 17wsm interests me a lot more because of the stronger power, but there are not that many rifles availible in it.

Im posting this because i want a fun ranch range plinker and for how cheap the ammo is i feel i want one of these. Just looking for some opinions and flaws between the two.

ebrown

I have a heavy barrel 1-in-8 twist B.Mag which I put it into a Boyd's stock. I like it but I haven't really done anything with it. I only have a little range time, no hunting. I shoot about two inch ten shot 100 yard groups with it. At least a half inch of that is me and probably more, so the rifle is pretty accurate. Compared to my 30-06 it seems like an air rifle.

Beastmode

I have about 1000 rounds through my 17 wsm. It is a good shooting gun but if I had it to do over I would get the regular hmr. While it shoots pretty good the ammo isn't very consistent from lot to lot. I might shoot a .5 moa group at 100 with one box and the next box, same brand same bullet is 2 moa.

This is my best 100 yard group which if it constantly did this I would highly recommend this gun.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

quaildeath

I like fast rimfires. I owned (stolen) a 22 mag in the Ruger VMBZ. Bull barrel target/varminter model. It was awesome. Cut cottontails in half at 150. Very brutal on small game.
From my reading over the years:
-22 mag was almost exactly 2x as fast and flat as a 22 lr
-17 hmr was almost 25% faster than the 22 mag and shot about twice as flat
-17 wsm is 400-600 fps faster than than the 17 hmr and again much flatter

I want one. The one drawback is the extremely light bullets get really messed up with wind. At least with a 22 mag you can get a 40 something grain bullet. When the wind gets up break out the 223 or 22-250.

A history must read....
http://chuckhawks.com/17_super_mag_first_look.htm

And for us CA folks we can get a AR platform rifle in a rimfire round, I say approaching tentatively, ballistics to a .223/5.56 skirting potential future legal hurdles. However there is not something equivalent in rimfire to a centerfire.

quaildeath

I have about 1000 rounds through my 17 wsm. It is a good shooting gun but if I had it to do over I would get the regular hmr. While it shoots pretty good the ammo isn't very consistent from lot to lot. I might shoot a .5 moa group at 100 with one box and the next box, same brand same bullet is 2 moa.

This is my best 100 yard group which if it constantly did this I would highly recommend this gun.

Most accurate rifles like a preferred food. Find a round your rifle likes and buy two cases.

Beastmode

That's what I am getting at it isn't like most rifles. Very particular. Ammo isn't abundant enough to buy a case. When you find it it's usually 3-4 boxes. You can buy all 4 and each box will shoot different. Same lot # or not.

mezcan

Looking for a 17 hmr rifle for a northeast Kali squirrel adventure this coming spring . It will be my intermediate gun , since I already have a proven 22lr and 5.56/223 in my quiver . Looking at the Savage lineup including the A17 semi as well as some of their higher end bolt options . Any first hand experience with their lineup or recommendations ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbcaptain11

i want one to pass down to the kids, I'm willing to spend 1200 on one but i would prefer not to. The sake quad is my first of choice from what i have looked at, then the rugged, then the cz, then the savage. Although the savage is the cheapest i have heard mixed things about them, and i would prefer just a traditional wood stock of good quality, one reason i am considering the savage less. right now the cz seems to be the most practical/ bang for my buck correct?

Beastmode

Have a friend with the cz 17 hmr and absolutely loves it. Seems to be consistent.

quaildeath

Looking for a 17 hmr rifle for a northeast Kali squirrel adventure this coming spring . It will be my intermediate gun , since I already have a proven 22lr and 5.56/223 in my quiver . Looking at the Savage lineup including the A17 semi as well as some of their higher end bolt options . Any first hand experience with their lineup or recommendations ?

Friend got this. I shot it. No problems. Too easy it's so accurate.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/93R17BTV

Last edited:

mezcan

Have a friend with the cz 17 hmr and absolutely loves it. Seems to be consistent.

Saw a cz on you tube . Looked like a larger capacity mag than the savage bolt actions and a heavier barrel . Will have to give it consideration .

mezcan

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Thank you very much for the feedback. Enjoy your families, eat well, hunt hard !

jbcaptain11

shoot my marlin39a shoots .5 groups i have known well mad rimfire lever guns to be tack drivers from my experience.

mezcan

shoot my marlin39a shoots .5 groups i have known well mad rimfire lever guns to be tack drivers from my experience.
I've shot lever action with open site OK, but with the scope, even mounted low I can't get a good cheek weld. Just me and my opinion and experience

Top Bottom