1911 barrel bushing how tight do you like them?

bsanders8181

I have a RIA 1911A1, and was not happy with the accuracy. It probably shoots around a 4-6" group at 20 yards. My guess at the main problem being the loose factory barrel bushing. So I finally got a match grade barrel bushing. At first it would not fit at all. 10 minutes with some 400 grit and it'll go into the slide with some coaxing, and I need a bushing wrench to turn it. I've spent some time turning it in the slide, and it is smooth, but still too hard to turn by hand.

My question is, can I take off more material, so that I can turn it by hand and still have increased accuracy, should I leave it where it is now, or should I just go shoot it and see if it helps first?

Thanks,
Brad

inchr48

So what did you do? Just getting in to 1911's myself, so didn't have an answer for you. How did you make out?

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
I good shooting 1911 needs a wrench, but it shouldn't be so tight you can't turn it by hand. A couple of thousandths clearance should be fine. The fit on the barrel is equally important; make sure that's not sloppy.

Next, you want to look at the locking lugs and the lugs across the top of the barrel. Sometimes you have to weld up the lower lugs in order to fit them tightly over the slide stop pivot.

Man, this is fun; it's been TOO long since I've been into a gov't model.

bsanders8181

I took a touch more material off with 1000 grit, but it does not turn by hand, with what BelchFire said I need to take a little more off. The groups did tighten up a lot, so I stopped messing with it. Also it got hard to find cheap ammo there for a bit, so I've only put a hundred rounds through it since I started this last year

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
It's OK if it's tight, it just doesn't need to be. Leave it tighter than loose unless you plan to dissemble it a lot. :thumbs up:

bsanders8181

Well I went from shooting at cans at 15yards (and missing half the time) to flipping cans on the move at the same. So I'm happy for now.

There are too many things you can get or do to these. Its addicting.
Besides the bushing, I put in an extended mag release and a new trigger. I had a new hammer too, but I did not like it, so I went back to stock. Then later an extended slide stop, and a wrap around hogue grip.
If I ever warp the barrel I already have a new match barrel I need an excuse to buy.

quaildeath

The tightness/fitting is a double edge sword. You gain accuracy but sometimes at the loss of reliability.
You hear people bitch about 1911 reliability issues. This was never an issue until people got crazy with tolerances.

I have a 1911. Trigger(very good), bomar style sights, polished/supported ramp, extended slide release. I had your grips but changed them to the Pachmyer combat style grips. It's about a 2" gun and you can release the barrel bushing by thumb pressure.

Man o man, if you threw some sights on your gun, watch out! Seriously though, stock 1911 sights are notoriously bad.

KTKT70

do all 1911s have trouble or are sum brands better than others? I have seen some real nice Kimbers but I don't have that kind of play money yet. Got to stick with Glock for now.

bsanders8181

Not at all, there's no way they would have been adopted by the govt if they all had problems. I'm pretty sure the problems come when people customize them, or push the limits of what they want.

inchr48

My latest toy. Have some 200 gr. SWC coming to try. I've only put about 50 rounds of 230 gr ball ammo thru it. Last 5, one ragged hole at 10 paces.

Top Bottom