1st Annual JHO MO Whitetail & Turkey Hunt

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
This was our first JHO fall turkey and deer bowhunt on our farm in Northeast MO. Dave Blake from our Pro Staff came out from CA to try and arrow his first whitetail and turkey. He succeeded in sticking 2 deer, a button buck and a 6 pointer. The turkey hunt was interrupted by a coyote one day and a bobcat the next.

We were hunting about 100 acres of soybean and cornfields with mixed timber patches of burr and red oak, river birch and shag bark hickory. The corn and soybeans had not been harvested yet, usually by they are by the middle of Oct but due to late planting the fields were still up. The stands are wooden treestands built into the trees about 15 to 20 feet up. The stands are on trails that lead from the bedding areas to the fields.

The 2 does on the video busted me as I picked up my bow, actually it was the sneaky second doe that caught my movement. I checked for a tail end Charlie but she was back a bit in heavy cover. The trailing doe never would calm down so I was only able to video them for a bit. I picked up my bow a 2nd time when the first doe put her head down to feed but the 2nd nosy doe just wouldn't put her head down and wanted to play peek-a-boo with me. After about 10 minutes they finally had had enough and jumped back across the creek into the heavy timber.

Big thanks to my Dad for all the help with the logistics and getting the accomodations ready for an fun hunt.

Camcorder was a Canon GL-2.

We're gonna do this hunt every fall so if anyone would like to come out to MO for some bowhunting please let me know. We can fit about 3 bowhunters on the farm in early Oct and the first week of Nov when I'm back there. Speak up now if you want in as it will fill up quick I think. Lots of does and decent bucks with an occassional bomber running around the area.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5efJpivQGLw"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5efJpivQGLw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Way to go, Dave!

Jesse, did you stick to the camera or did you poke a hole in one too?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Spec,

The first days I was hunting by myself before Dave arrived and the wind was gale force. All the critters had their toenails dug into trees to keep from getting blowed into the next county. Didn't see much those days.

We went over to film at Swan Lake the 3rd day and didn't see many monster bucks like usual. Back to the farm and day 4 was spent clearing stands, mowing and other chores.

I did get a couple days in the stand we have on the other end of the farm from where Dave was but the wind was wrong both days. I played peek-a-boo with the 2 does in the video but never got drawn. The bad part about the east end of the farm is the deer like to hang out just over the hill from the trailer and when you come over the rise many times you blow all the deer out of that area. I knocked 8 deer out one afternoon going in. They usually will filter back in after a few hours.

Same for the next day but this time the 2 does were spooked coming in which is tough. I never did call any turkeys up there, they just don't seem to hang out on the east end of the farm in the fall like they do in the spring. Dave was seeing the turkeys on the west end where he arrowed the 2 deer.

antlrcolectr

Reaction score
I might be interested in this next time!
I'm too close not to be!

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Jesse >> Pencil me in for next November would ya.

I would love to grease one. Do you allow wheelie bows?

Jerry

Top Bottom