1st camera done BIG PROBLEMS

Good Ole Boy

Reaction score
ok guys, I finally got through the soldering headache and was very excited to try my cam. I connected the power, and damned if it didn't work.....AHHHHHH. Any way here are my findings:

1. Unit only seems to work in Chime mode, and will not work if  DPDT switch is in middle position.
3. If DPDT switch is in Up position, LED stays on
4. When DPDT switch is flipped to the Down position, Camera automatically fires, but is not triggered again after this first firing.

Hope someone can make since of this, and if it helps, I could not tell which side was which when I wired the DPDT switch so I just chose a side and wired it to match the diagram.

PLEASE HELP, I HOPE I AM NOT BURNING ANYTHING OUT THE WAY IT CURRENTLY IS.

MBullism

Reaction score
Good Ole Boy-

1.  The center position on the DPDT switch wired as shown on the diagram is neutral., no cam, no LED so that's normal.  

Check for stray solder, bridges etc.  I'm assuming the chime/alarm stuff was working when you played with it before you hacked it (I know you tried it, LOL)  Is the relay wired to pin #2 on the IC?

(Edited by MBullism at 4:10 am on July 13, 2002)

Zeke

Reaction score
The last cam I built using the RS sensor didnt work in the alarm mode, only in chime. Im assuming thats what you used by the Chime/alarm in your post. I didnt check out the sensor before I hacked it, so I dont know if it was defective before or after I modified it. Doesnt really matter though...I never use the 30 sec alarm mode anyway.

As for your cam taking a pic when you flip the switch....Are you giving the sensor time to reset itself before you throw the switch???

TmKarren

Reaction score
Did you try to put something over the sensor lense?  I do that when I test mine.  That way it can reset it's self.  I don't know you could try that..  I only work with ms20s.  sounds like your DPDT switch is ok.  To set mine up.  I have to put it on the led, and wait till it resets itself.  Then I switch it over to camera.  That way I avoid a false picture.  When I set it up in the woods..  If you wired the DPDT switch up like the diagram It's right.  I put the switch in.  So when it's on camera it's switched down.  When it's on led.  It's switched up.  Just a example.  It doesn't matter which way it's wired.  just when you put it on the box you know whats what..

(Edited by TmKarren at 6:10 am on July 13, 2002)

Good Ole Boy

Reaction score
ok guys, got up this morning with a fresh mind. Mine will work in both modes, but the LED will not work in alarm mode. What was and is happening is in chime mode, either the LED will stay on for 10-20 seconds then go off and lock up the unit or the camera will flash and lock up the unit depending on which way you have dpdt switch. Basically to reset it I have to pull the 9v batt for a minute.

Maybe this helped someone figure out how to troubleshoot this problem.

Please let me know!

bat

Reaction score
Hey GOB, do you have msn instant messenger?  If you do let me know.  I use only RS pirs on mine maybe if we can hook up with the messenger we can get that bad boy going.  bat

davered1

Reaction score
GOB,

You have power through the LED or RELAY constantly, thus lock ing everthing up. Which soldering sequence did you use? tinhorns,pic on front page, or hooking relay to the speaker wires?

Hang in there first one is kinda tough but the rest fall into place

Dave

Good Ole Boy

Reaction score
I used the real colorful drawing on the webpage. Here is how I have it wired:

-Red PIR Power is going to "off" side of my SPST switch
-Black PIR Power is going to black side of 9v receiver
-I also joined to the bottom board solder of the black power which is wired left leg of the relay (if you pointed the 3 leg portion of relay up, you would have _ | _ L M R)
-Red side of 9v receiver is going to "on" side of my SPST switch
-Pin #2 on bottom of board is soldered to right side of 3 leg portion of relay
-Red speaker is wired to 2 leg of my DPDT switch
-First Leg of my DPDT switch is wired to Red LED wire
-Black speaker wire is soldered to black LED
-Pin 5 of DPDT switch is wired to one of the camera receiver legs
-Pin 6 of DPDT switch is wired to middle leg of relay on the 3 leg side
-I have a wire going from bottom pin on relay to the other leg of camera receiver.
-also diode is soldered from the left leg of relay to right leg of relay.

UPDATE: Bat had me correct my wiring on the IC it is now wired to the 4 solder point on the bottom of the board. Seems I had wired to pin one the first time.....this hasn't corrected my problem though.

(Edited by Good Ole Boy at 12:01 pm on July 13, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
Are you sure you are on the right pin? You should be 2 pins down on the outside row of IC chip (board positioned like this ___|-outside)

not sure what you mean by "Bat had me correct my wiring on the IC it is now wired to the 4 solder point on the bottom of the board"

If you were wired to pin1 first you should go down one pin, is that what you did?

Firemn

Reaction score
Hey GOB,

It looks like you are on the wrong pin.  If you are soldering on the side of the chip, like I do, you need to move up one from your first location.  I find it easier to solder on the top side for this connection.  Basically, the chip looks like a bug and you are soldering on one of its legs.  Personally, I try to stay away from soldering on a joint right on the board.  Also, make sure you use heat sinks and especially flux.  Like ****** said, a 15 watt iron makes a world of difference too!  Keep us updated.

Top Bottom