1st turkey

Rob4x4

Reaction score
got my 1st ever turkey!! its not the biggest but hey still pretty excited since we called him in, hes just a young jake with a 4inch beard or so. shot him at 40yrds with my 20 gauge 391 beretta.

jerryt

Reaction score
That's awesome. You can't eat the beard. Way to go.

tom wingmaster

Reaction score
Congrats! I remember my first and my daughters - Something special about the first one.

dthome

Reaction score
Nice job, Rob! That's a good lookin' bird. I also like your off-road wheelchair with the knobby tires! Keep up the good work!

palladin

Reaction score
Congrats on the turkey!

Definitiley tell the story!

Abourda

Reaction score
Great job Rob. I've been waiting to see some of your trophies since your deer a couple of years ago. Way to keep at the outdoors!!

Rob4x4

Reaction score
Thanks guys!!

Basically the story goes like this, usually when we get to our spot we can hear the turkeys going crazy in the morning but this time there was not a peep. so we got to our spot where we kinda figured out they cross when they come from their roost. so we get setup in some rocks and setup a hen decoy about 30 yrds away. around 6am or so we heard a gobble which seemed very faint and off in the distance so we thought that they might have allready passed us prior to us getting there. we proceeded to make some calls and about 15 or so minutes pass we hear another gobble and this time it seemed much closer and perhaps down the ridge either across the creek or near it. continue with a few more calls and again 5 min pass and hes very close. next thing you know i see his lil head pop up over the hill about 50 yrds away.

he continues to make his way towards the decoy and is very interested. i position myself ever so slowly but me being a righty the angle i was in and the gobbler was would have required me to move the chair much more than i wanted to so i got ready left handed..lol. as i got ready my dad is like wait for him to get closer which i was going to do anyway. so as the gobbler made his way closer to the hen decoy he stopped as if he wasnt too sure what was going down. this is when my thoughts were hmm wonder what his plans are now and about that time he started to back away and turned towards the direction he came from. at this time i made my mind up and said im taking him i think hes going to try and get away. so clicked my safety off the 391 and put the ole bead on his head and let him have it. soon as i fired he flopped around and started flapping his wings so i knew he was hit hard but he made his way down the hill and out of sight.

so my dad went and took off down the hill and sure enough he was dead about 30 yrds down the hill. when my dad got back he paced off the distance which was 40 yrds or so which was a pretty good lil poke for the 20gauge i thought and was pretty excited this being my 1st gobbler. ya of course you want to get the biggest and baddest bird out there but cant always get that plus this was the 1st turkey i got and 1st turkey my dad has called in and taken so he was pretty excited about that as well. overall it was a successful hunt and may try and go out this weekend since its the last weekend and see if we can take another one.

Last edited:

RR1

Reaction score
Congratulations! Good story and bird. Thanks for sharing.

rick7m

Reaction score
Good job Robbie! Great looking bird. Is the old man popping for the taxidermy?

Rick

sean english

Reaction score
Good job Rob.
I have not even been turkey hunting yet. Hope to do it next year after I move to Sacramento. That is a big bird to me.

TonyS

Reaction score
Rob, awesome job! I am hoping I get to finally connect on one this year.

Top Bottom