2.5mm Stereo Jack????

spotty

Reaction score
I'm trying to make up a parts order for a couple of new homebrew cams. I built my first cam using RS components and have had great results. I'd like to save some $$ by ordering the components for my next two cams. I will still use the RS 49-425 PIR. My question is actually in two parts....

I would like to use the 3 wire set up and mount a 2.5mm jack in the camera. Does anyone have a part # and/or source for the 2.5mm submini stereo (3 conductor) jack?  Is there enough room in the PF for the RS #274-245 jack? It looks quite a bit bigger than the 2.5mm mono jack that's shown in the pics in the homebrew pages.

Another question is about the reed relay. I found three reed relays on All Electronics web page and I'm wondering if one of them will work. None of them look identical to the RS 275-232 and I didn't see a big difference in their details. Here are the part #'s for the relays I found in All Electronics: RLY-395, RLY-407, RRLY-15.

I did a search on JHP before I posted this but nothing came up. I know there are sources other than Radio Shack. I looked on Mouser, MPJA, MECI, All Electronics, Alltronics and a couple more with no definate matches.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

RS now has the 2.5mm submini stereo plugs. They have a right angle plug # 274-298 and a strait plug # 274-244. They are $1.99 each.

Thanks.....

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
The allelec relay is the rly-395 from ATT.  They work great.  Guiet too.  I use c-grid crimp connectors for my camera hook-ups.  they are 0.3" x 0.1" .  I run the wires out a drilled hole in the front of the canera , right below the 1st n in canon and hot glue them flat to the camera.  I use a male version to the timerboard.  The hole set-up costs a dollar.  Maybe someone else can help you with the stero jacks.  I couldnt find one I liked.  I'm pretty sure the guys taht were using them were getting the jack from RS.

spotty

Reaction score
ArkElkhtr,       Thanks for the info.  I used RCA plugs on my first camera, which is an AF w/round dial.  I ran the wires out the front as you described and haven't had any trouble with that set up.  I'd like to try the stereo jack & plug on the PF camera.  I've found the 2 conductor jacks (mono) 2.5mm submini #274-292 at RS.  The 3 conductor 2.5mm submini (stereo) #274-245 at RS looks much bigger than the 2 conductor.  
I'm not sure the 245 will fit in the PF housing, that's my main concern.   I'd like to find the 3 conductor in the same size and design as the 2 conductor.

I'm not familiar with the c-grid crimps. I'll have to look into them.  I don't set my camera up over bait, so I've not had a need for a timer, yet.

Thanks.....

spotty

Reaction score
Thanks Pens,   I checked it out and it looks good.  Have you or anybody else found one that would work other than the RS?  The RS jacks are just 2/$1.99 but I'll probably order my switches and a few other things from All Electronics. May as well try to get it all at once.

Thanks.....

Latest Posts

Top Bottom