• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

2 Bore Jones Underlever B/P Cartridge Rifle

CowboyCS

Thank you. I have several current projects, the very next one is a 2 Bore Muzzleloading Boxlock (rifled this time and left handed), but just like the one I built last year. I have a flintlock Chunk rifle to build after that, I have a 45 cal Boxlock, a couple of odd projects adn a restoration job....and then I have a real gem....I have been commissioned to build a 2 Bore Jones Underlever Cartridge rifle in a side by side double rifle. The 2 bore double is about 2 years down the road though.

Colin

inchr48

"2 Bore Jones Underlever Cartridge rifle in a side by side double rifle"

A full pound of lead in the chambers, waiting to be sent downrange.

Can't wait to see that one.

Ever build a BP shotgun SxS ?

CowboyCS

I was having a bit of trouble with the CCI#35 Arsenal Primers(50 BMG primers), I wasn't getting the type of reliable ignition I wanted from them due to the angle of the firing pin and how hard the Arsenal Primers are compared to other types of primers. So I turned a couple of bushings and sleeved the primer pockets to accept 209 Shotgun Primers. Problem solved....other than now I have to turn a bunch more for all the rest of the brass my customer has already purchased. I have already spoken with S&H and the next batch of brass I order from them will come already set-up the way I want, so no problem in the future, I just have to order Minimum quantities from him. It's nice to have a supplier that is willing to work with me on this stuff.

Here's the latest video of me shooting it, just a couple of shots in a row with a picture of the target this time.

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HMEXxW-Se5w&hl=en_US&fs=1?rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>
YouTube - 2 Bore Jones Underlever Black Powder Cartridge rifle - 2 Shots

A little bit of final polishing and then a little bit of bluing and the rear sight(whole rifle) is finished and ready to ship, other than changing the primer pockets in the remaining pieces of brass. I'll try to remember to post a picture of the wad cutter I made to go with this in the next couple days.

Colin

myfriendis410

I would love the opportunity to refuse to shoot that monster! Now, if you ever get attacked by a killer whale, you'll be prepared. Thank you for sharing this with all of us; it's what makes this forum worthwhile.

CowboyCS

I promised a picture of the wadding(wool felt wad in this case) cutter. This was pretty simple to make, the handle is removable and it has a 1/2" shank if a person wants to run it in a drill press, but it cuts easy enough just by hand. A couple twists back and forth and it goes right through 1" wool felt.

I was also asked to post a picture of the case with a 209 primer in it.

Colin

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Hey Cowboy; have you got any ideer what kind of velocity that thing's juicing? I'm wondering what kind of crazy azz energy it's delivering and I could calculate it if 1) I knew the velocity and 2) I had enough calculator for all those zeroes. I won't even ask about the ballistic coefficient of the "projectile". (In this case the projectile could, arguably, be at either end of the gun)

CowboyCS

Dog gonner mister...that sure is a bute! How many projects do you turn out a year?
Rodney,
It depends on the size of the projects, these one off custom big bores take a long time to build and I can usually only do 1-2 a year, but I also squeeze in a few smaller projects(like the 50 cal Wesson Rifle that's for sale) at the same time as well as modification and repair projects. When I'm building normal flintlocks or caplocks I can custom build 6-8 a year depending on how fancy they are.

What most people don't realize is the difference in hours I work compared to the normal guy...the average person working a normal job, works between 2000 and 2500 hours a year. My average year is 3500+ hours in my shop.

Hey Cowboy; have you got any ideer what kind of velocity that thing's juicing? I'm wondering what kind of crazy azz energy it's delivering and I could calculate it if 1) I knew the velocity and 2) I had enough calculator for all those zeroes. I won't even ask about the ballistic coefficient of the "projectile". (In this case the projectile could, arguably, be at either end of the gun)
Belch,
I haven't actually chronographed the final sight in load, but my best guess would be about 1000fps.
Here's the numbers from Beartooth Bullets Calculators:
Wheel Weight cast ball(1.325") - 3375gr
350gr FFg Goex
Best guess of 1000FPS

A Taylor KO Value of 639 with a bullet that weighs 3375 grains, a velocity of 1000, and a diameter of 1.325.

Energy of 7,496 foot-pounds for a 3375 grain bullet at 1000 fps.

Recoil Energy of 229 foot pounds, and Recoil Velocity of 26 fps.

Colin

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
I'd have to load 355 gr of powder just so I could get 7,500 ft-lbs of Whoop-Tee-Do. Holy bananas, Batman!

Rodney Hood

Rodney,
It depends on the size of the projects, these one off custom big bores take a long time to build and I can usually only do 1-2 a year, but I also squeeze in a few smaller projects(like the 50 cal Wesson Rifle that's for sale) at the same time as well as modification and repair projects. When I'm building normal flintlocks or caplocks I can custom build 6-8 a year depending on how fancy they are.

What most people don't realize is the difference in hours I work compared to the normal guy...the average person working a normal job, works between 2000 and 2500 hours a year. My average year is 3500+ hours in my shop.

Belch,
I haven't actually chronographed the final sight in load, but my best guess would be about 1000fps.
Here's the numbers from Beartooth Bullets Calculators:
Wheel Weight cast ball(1.325") - 3375gr
350gr FFg Goex
Best guess of 1000FPS

A Taylor KO Value of 639 with a bullet that weighs 3375 grains, a velocity of 1000, and a diameter of 1.325.

Energy of 7,496 foot-pounds for a 3375 grain bullet at 1000 fps.

Recoil Energy of 229 foot pounds, and Recoil Velocity of 26 fps.

Colin

Holy cow...3375 grains!!! That's dang near half a pound. (7.714 ounces)

CowboyCS

The new owner received his rifle today and here's what he has to say:

The 2 bore Jones cartridge rifle arrived today and it is a magnificent piece of work by Colin. It is basically a work of art that shoots and it depicts old world craftsmanship at its best. In my 60 plus years I have never been more impressed with a firearm. The color casing is right up there with Doug Turnbull and the stock finish and checkering are flawless. The satin rust blue on the barrel and other blued parts are perfect. The rifle even came in a custom built wood shipping crate which would take a considerable amount of effort to damage.
This is the best part of what I do.

Colin

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
And it's well deserved from the pics. Just wish I could fondle it see it in person. Your work has always been impressive, but when you add size, it's just phenomenal.

Bulleye

Very nice build! Will your client use it in Africa? With that kind of power I am sure it would drop an elephant in its tracks!

CowboyCS

Thank you,

I'm not sure whether it will go to Africa or not, he had mentioned hunting Africa in a couple of his emails to me, but never gave me a clear indication that this was a rifle he intended to do that with. I certainly hope that if he does take it to Africa, he will send me pictures of his hunt. I would love to see how it performs on Dangerous Game.

Colin

CowboyCS

The 2 Bore and a rather unbecoming picture of me in full recoil(and of the cases by S&H) and a very nice write up by Craig Boddington is in the May 2011 issue of Guns and Ammo(Gun Notes page 30,32 and 33).

Many Thanks to Craig and Jay(S&H) and a special thanks to my Customer for starting this project to begin with.

Colin

myfriendis410

How very cool! Can I have your autograph? Seriously; you should be proud. You've obviously worked hard and it shows in the result. Awesome.

CowboyCS

Sure I'd autograph a copy for you, it won't add any value to the Magazine and you likely won't be able to read it because my hand writing is horrible.:rotflmao:

Thanks for the compliments though.

Colin

Top Bottom