2 down

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
I got a bird and a good lesson today.  I hunted a new area a friend saw turkeys in while fishing.  Sat until 8 a.m. without hearing or seeing anything and decided to walk a dirt road towards a big meadow in the canyon below me.  I would walk 200-300 feet and call down into the oaks and brush hoping to hear a response.  I got down to the meadow and searched for sign for about 30 minutes.  By now its 9:30 and I have to climb out and decide what and where to try next.  As I hiked out I was just absent mindedly purring and such very softly.  About half way back up the hill I was shocked to hear a bird gobble about 30 yards below me.   I dove for a small group of liveoaks on the uphill side of the road, got an arrow nocked and called at the bird.  NOTHING...  I grabbed my box call and gave an excited cackle (which usually makes them thunder back).  STILL DEAD SILENCE...  Okay I'll give him my ol' yeller slate with some yelps...  NOPE...  By now I was afraid that the bird had seen me or heard my sprint for cover and had taken off.  As I calmed down ( a gobble that close makes your hair stand up) I realized that he wanted the soft calling he had responded to.  To give myself a little insurance I tip toed up the road about 50 yards and set up under a big oak with hanging limbs.  I figured this would make my calls come from someplace new and it gave me a better field of fire.  I did a soft purr on the slate.  GOBBBBLLLLE!!  It sounded like he had moved down the hill about  100 yards further from me.  I gently scratched the ground and BOOM he thundered back at me.  I gave him about 5 minutes of silence and scratched the ground.  GOBBBBLLLE!!  He was still interested but he had not got any closer.  I decided to set the bow down and scratch the leaves and purr on my slate ( I can make a softer purr with a slate than I am able with a mouth call).  Boy did that crank him up!!!  He gobbled twice and about 30 seconds later gobbled much closer.  I frantically grabbed the bow and got ready.  Five more minutes of silence.  I reached down and scratched the leaves with my free hand.  GOBBBLLLE!!  But he was back down the hill.  Okay this is exciting but now I'm frustrated.  I decided to try purring softly on the mouth call and stay ready.  Before I was done with the first call he was gobbling.  I started giving him hoo-wits and purrs as soft as I could and he gobbled every couple of seconds.  Suddenly he went quiet and I knew something was going to happen quick.  Either I had lost him or he was finally coming back.  30 seconds later I saw his fan floating up the edge of the road and I quickly drew on him.  As he stepped up on the road about 15 yards to my right he suddenly dropped strut and turned.  Before he could step off the road I shot and saw him pile up.  I feel he had stepped up on the road had not seen the hen and was getting out of there.  When I got to him I was amazed to see that he was just a big jake.  His fan was almost completely mature, but he had a 4 1/2" beard and big nubs for spurs.  

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Good story and congrads on the turkey. Its a good felling to get one with a bow.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
SS >> awesome hunt. I love reading folks hunting stories. They are all different and it
is a chess game. Congratulations on making all the right moves.

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Arrowhead,

I definitely would not call it making the right moves...  More like I kept plugging away until I finally got it right...

killinturks

Reaction score
congratulatins. taking one with a bow definately would add to the already challenginging sport and also to the satisfaction level obtained.

MBullism

Reaction score
Congrats on the bow bagged bird, and on the ability to realize in the moment what that particular bird needed to hear...  I have not yet (lord knows I've tried) bagged one of these tormenters with a bow.  I know my odds are better in the early part of our season, but I usually try to get a bird under my belt with the 870 before I drag the bow out.  This is actually the first year I've taken the bow out prior to scoring, and again it wasn't to be.

Sooner or later I'm gonna arrow one, but for now I have nothing but admiration for those who have pulled it off...Congrats!

M

woodsman

Reaction score
Nice job shovelerslayer! sounds like a hell of a hunt
" It's not the size of the bird It's the quality of the hunt " .
:smile-big-blue:

SAW

Reaction score
Shovelslayer,                                                                                                                  Congratulations!What a rush it is gettin'em with a bow.                                                       SAW

Top Bottom