2 to 3 second delay

lope1

Reaction score
Great site,  I just built my first camera I used a canon df,  It takes 2 to 3 seconds from when the led goes off till the camera fires?  Any help would be greatly appreciated

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I assume you meant Owl "PF"

Unfortunatly, the delay is normal for the cam but is usually only about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 sec if the cam has been fired within the past few hours.  Then if not used (but "ON", the lens cover is opened") for a long time, like several days or sometimes, just over night, the delay seems to increase as the flash circuit takes longer to charge.  You will see this delay, even if you press the Push Button Manually, BTW.

If the delay is really troublesome, you will have to think about building a "Refresh Pulse" circuit that is being talked about from time to time on the Forum.

This circuit will send a refresh pulse to the cam's "Half Press" to keep the Flash Circuit charge up.

Also, the problem seems to get worse as the AA batts weaken, even if the batt indicator says they are fully charged, try replacing them.

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 9:13 am on Aug. 13, 2001)

lope1

Reaction score
Thanks, I was just wondering if I had wired something wrong.  I think I can live with the delay, compared to dishings out the $400 for the camtrakker which I did several years ago.  

Fubar

Reaction score
lope1  Welcome to Jesses Forum. I hope to see some of your game cam pics soon.       Fubar

dharter

Reaction score
How long will the batteries last on a canon owl pf date if it is just left on?
The manual says that it will take several rolls of film, but maybe that is when you turn it off after each picture.

gizz

Reaction score
dharter - I often wondered this myself. Seems that the camera bat's should have a shorter life while the lense cover is open. I figure on replacing the AA's every 3 or 4 months when the cam is being used. Anyone ever have their's run down?

glen71

Reaction score
I'm a newbie, so suffer me a newbie question: Does the 9v (or 12v) battery that is wired to the PIR sensor only power the sensor? From the posts above about the AA batteries, I now realize that the camera is not powered by the large battery!?

gizz

Reaction score
glen71 - Welcome to the BBS! We seem to be getting alot of "newbies" here.
The cameras have their own batteries just like always. These power the flash, film motor, etc.
The PIR get powered seperately by it's own battery. Not a dumb question really. I remember having the same question about 8 months ago.
Are you gonna build one?

glen71

Reaction score
gizz - Yep, my Canon Owl PF Date should arrive tomorrow (shipped Friday from Amazon.com), and I located all the RS parts today. I am still undecided/confused about which timer assembly to use. I need a timer as this first camera will watch a protein feeder. Hopefully, later this fall I will get some pictures of some of our S. Texas bucks.

wvhunter

Reaction score
I have never had the AA batteries run down, BUT I change them about every 4 rolls of film.  It seems like the delay gets worse as the batteries get older.

glen71, welcome to the BBS (IMHO the best on the net) :D

glen71

Reaction score
wvhunter - Thanks for the welcome. I came primarily for the game-tracker info, but I have sampled several threads and am favorably impressed. This is a more refined and polite BBS than most (IMHO). I just hope this Texas boy can hang with all you electronics "brainiacs".

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Reaction score
WHERE CAN YOU GET A 12 VDC RELAY TO FIT THE REGENT MS20?  IF AT RADIO SHACK DO YOU HAVE THE MODEL #?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom