2 Way Radios in Maine?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Are 2 way radios legal to use in Maine?

Could you use one to tell a buddy that you jumped a buck and he's heading for the 4200 road?

Can you only use it for emergency use, like getting a hunter out of the woods?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
We use them too, but was wondering if there are any limitations to using them. Could you use them in a legal deer drive?
I can't find anything on the state's website.

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
I was under the impression that driving deer in Maine was not legal................Stillhunting in a well spread out group of 3 max is tolerated but anything more is a no-no. That being said I have seen more than my share of drives go by me while on stand on a certain state property.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Nope. Driving deer in Maine is legal. They changed the law 2/3 years ago. You just can't have more than 3 guys.

I heard that 2 way radios were legal to help in emergency situations and to locate hunters, but not to assist in any way the actual hunt, like explaining where you might come out to have a hunter set up on a road, or tell someone you jumped a deer.

I searched the Maine Hunting website rules and could not find anything. Guess I'll contact the Game Warden I know and get the thing straight. I'll post my findings.

Sgt Mike

Suspended Account
Reaction score
Driving deer or taking part in a deer drive is unlawful, except that 3 or fewer persons may hunt together, without the aid of noisemaking devices. Driving deer is an organized or planned effort to pursue, drive, chase or otherwise frighten or cause deer to move in the direction of any person(s) who are part of the organized or planned hunt and known to be waiting for the deer.
Mike
Taken from the Maine Deer hunting Website

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Public Law 1999, chapter 588 allows 3 or fewer persons to hunt together without being guilty of driving
deer, provided that they do not use noisemaking devices.

Correct. Two guys can make a push working together towards a shooter on a road.

I know first hand this is legal, but can I use a radio to tell that guy on the road that a deer has been bumped up?

It's not my style of hunting but a guy I hunt with is curious.

Parker650

Reaction score
Personally I can't see why it would be illegal. It's not like you have a 100% chance of being successful with them or that it gives you any advantage. A deer can make a lot of directional changes in just a few feet, like to so many monsters that just needed to take one more step for a shot and never did.

I don't think they are advantageous at all, unless you are using them when not hunting trying to communicate with others doing other things in the woods other than hunting. I have some city friends that hunt with us and like to use them to 'keep each other company' when hunting...earbud mics and everything. The 2 years they have been bringing them out, I don't think they've talked to each other once, either they don't have them on, turned up to hear the beep or just out of range.

Just another trinket to take up space in your pack or pocket. Not to mention the noise you have to make. But outside of that, I go in the woods to hunt and be alone on MY terms. If I wanted company I would have gone fishing. They should concentrate at outwitting these deer and not screaming 'Can you hear me now?'.

BearHunter

Reaction score
my group has been using radios for several years. They are for the most part turned off until we hear a shot. Then we listen to see if someone needs help dragging one out.
this helps in several ways.
the person that shot can call and advise he needs help tracking or dragging or that he missed.
without a radio you would have to try to find the other person or meet somewhere to find out whats up..
the radio saves time so everyone can quickly get back to hunting.
also at the end of a long day if another in your group is still on the way out after dark it helps to be able to contact them so you know that everything is ok.

as far a being legal we have all had our radios in plain sight and used them to talk to one another while a warden was with us at lunch.

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
They have many uses, but a bunch of guys in Lincoln told me that they are illegal to use while hunting, so I always keep mine concealed and have never heard from the horses mouth if they are or not.

Bill/NH

Reaction score
Well, if it is illegal, they certainly should have it stated in the regs. Unless I became blind or illiterate I find no such provision on the IFW website. People have had them for years and I'm sure IFW is aware of it, I would think that if there is an issue with radios that it would be addressed in the regs. Then again, I'm no lawyer. Bill

Latest Posts

Top Bottom