2001 So. CA Quail forcast

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Does anyone know how the quail hunting in So Cal going to be this like this season?

(Edited by Qbn Hunter at 5:03 pm on Sep. 12, 2001)

songdog

Reaction score
I'm guilty of spending 3-4 early mornings or late afternoons per week driving around coyote hunting and scounting for quail or deer.

I've seen more quail than I've seen in the last 4-5 years (which have been good years).  I've seen the typical signs of a "double hatch" with a second set of young birds after the first group that we see every spring.  I dare say I've seen a third batch here and there but that may be wishful thinking.

Most coveys have been apx 40-50 birds with some over 100.  I average seeing 4-5 of these coveys in 1-2 hours of driving around.

On a related note, I've seen more Mountain Quail this year than I've ever seen before.  They tend to be pretty rare down here in the southern part of the state and they're normally only on the side of the steepest hills.  I've seen coveys of 10-20 birds (mainly 2 adults and a bunch of large but pin feathered chicks).  I've seen about 10-12  of those coveys this last week and most have been in very huntable areas.

Just one data point, but from here it looks pretty good.  I'm excited.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Songdog,

Thanks for the reply. I am planing to go with a buddy of mine to do some quail hunting in the Eastern Mojave desert aera. Have you been there before, if so how's the hunting?

songdog

Reaction score
I haven't spent too much time in the Eastern Mojave.  I'm south of there in the Santa Clarita area.  I quail hunt mainly the area north of the 210, south of the 138, east of the 5 and west of the 15 freeways.  That's where I've seen the majority of these birds.

I've seen several good coveys of Gambels/Desert Quail while dove hunting out near Niland over the past couple of weeks but that's about the extent of my true "desert" scouting this year.

A number of friends who hunted AZ for dove also reported a large number of quail (when they weren't busy shooting all the dove they ran into).

songdog

Reaction score
...not to rub it in or anything but I'm looking at 44 birds out the window of my home office right now picking up gravel on the dirt road below my house <g>.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
You guys have to stop this idle banter.  I'm still on my dove high and now all I can think of is "how are my spots looking for quail".  I may not make it in to work!  I can guarantee that I will have NO quail outside my window.

C

Cazador Suerte

Care to give any more specifics about acess roads for that quail spot?

How was the dove hunting at the Niland fields?  Going down for the closer to the area to check out one more fat whitewing.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Your one lucky person songbird. If I was working were you work I would not last one day. The area were  you hunt is it public?

songdog

Reaction score
I'm blessed to have my house back up to the Nat'l Forest.  I've shot limits of quail, dove and a nice mulie last year walking from my house.  Not trying to rub it in... too much at least :wink-yellow:.

There's a lot of Nat'l Forest land up here so about the only time I'm on private land is Tejon Ranch.  The vast majority of my hunting takes place on Nat'l Forest or BLM land.

One area you might want to try can be found by going north on the 14 exiting on the first Soledad exit.  Make a left on Warm Springs Road going under the 14 freeway.  There's a PG&E gas pipeline and a service road that parallels it.  You'll find some good hunting in that area.

Re: dove in Niland - I hunted the end of Montgomery road and shot a limit pretty early.  Since then I've been shooting them near home.  I haven't heard of any major weather out there over the past week or so, so you might find some good hunting.  Let us know how you do.

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
SongDog,

Thanks for your info. I will try to go there this season. Have you hunted pheasant at the Antelope Valley Gun Club. We go every year its great.

rusman66

Reaction score
I have hunted quail in the area just off the 40 freeway, just before needles north of goffs. And have had pretty good luck. Good rabbit hunting too.
If you go up around the old abandoned shack the quail seem to stay around that area.

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
Hunted the Niland area for the dove closer.  Very slow with few birds in the area.

Bring on the Ducks!

songdog

Reaction score
Haven't hunted at the AV Gun Club but I've driven by it a few times.  Been temped though.  I believe that it's a bit more reasonable on the pocket book than the High Desert Hunt Club near Gorman.  That's a really nice place but pretty pricey for both memberships or one time hunts.  Excellent quality though.

I keep wondering what/if the wild pheasant population is around those clubs from escaped birds.  There is year round water in the area and the winters may be cold but not compared to So. Dakota.  Why wouldn't there be a decent population?

Makes buying 100 acres, planting a bunch of corn and a couple hundred pheasant in that area kind of an interesting proposal... until you consider the cost :wink-yellow:

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
AV Hunt Club is reasonable. For about $65.00-$70.00 you get three Pheasants. You can hunt in a private field as well. I heard that High Desert relaeses birds for lots more than AV Hunt Club.  

songdog

Reaction score
The High Desert Hunt Club is quite a bit more.  They have a combo hunt that is 3 pheasant, 6 chukar and 10 bobwhite for $495 ($395 for members).  You can also opt for 5 chukar and 5 pheasant for $275 ($475 non member).  Single person membership is $1900/year with $1000 of that going towards hunts.

I've often thought about going out to one of the bird farms near Norco and grabbing about 10-20 pheasants for $10/each and going out with some friends and planting them just like the hunt clubs do.  I think that you might be limited to doing this only during the pheasant season in CA unless you have "game bird farm" status.  You would also need to stay within the bag limits which you don't on a private planted bird hunt.  Just speculating here but I'd want to be sure before trying it.

Is AV better than Rahaugges?  I hunted there once and that was it.  The "fields" were marked with white chalk and probably no more than 75 yards wide and 125 yards long, if that.  Everyone else had adjacent fields so you were really crammed in there with other hunters.  None of the birds had tails.  Two thirds of them were hens and there were some birds that looked like the shape of a pheasant but were some strange color.  Few if any of the birds flew for that matter (unless it was out the far end of your field into the off limits areas surrouding the fields).

I think that's the difference between a $50 hunt at Rahaugges and a $400 hunt at HDHC.  HDHC you feel like you're in So Dakota both because of the birds and how much you paid to get there :wink-yellow:

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
I know people who have hunted in Norco and at A.V. Hunt club and have told me by far A.V. Hunt club was better. The birds all have long tails and the feild are huge. It is well worth it.  Ithink that their season starts Oct. 1.

songdog

Reaction score
I think I'm going to try it.  It's closer to home too for that matter.

Thanks for the info.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I can vouch for A.V. Hunt Club(actually A.V. Sportsman's Club). I worked there for a season and still hunt there. The fields are large and usually have good cover. The birds have good tails and fly better early in his season. Later in the season they are fat and lazy and sometimes need a foot under their butt to get them moving. I have never hunted Raahauges or High Desert so I can't compare them but have never had a bad time at A.V.  Good Luck     Scott

Qbn Hunter

Reaction score
Scott,
I have a question regarding the A.V. Sportmans Club. My group and I have hunted there many times. Sometimes we do not get our limits. The birds that are left in the fields, do they usaully stay there and get eaten by coyotes or do they multiply. Also, is there any quail hunting there?

(Edited by Qbn Hunter at 7:55 pm on Sep. 20, 2001)

JustBob

Reaction score
QBN Hunter
I dont know about AV but in most places the birds are basically domesticated and that night go back to pens where food and water is. One way in no way out.
What a life.

Top Bottom