2004 Archery Deer

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Just wondering what your thoughts are on the early opener are as far as advantages or disadvantages on taking deer. All the crops will still be in the fields, providing cover for deer, and all the vegitation in and around the timber will still be pretty thick.
The deer that I have seen are mostly does, and all that I have been able to see of them are their heads, mostly the eyes and ears sticking out of the 3-4 foot tall beanfields. I have seen one buck that would probably easily score 150, but he was on the railroad tracks, and the City has property on one side of the tracks and I can't gain permission to hunt the property on the other side. I'm wondering what kind of stratedgy should be used with this early opener, given all the cover that will be available for them to hide in.
Appreciate your comments.

gastler

Reaction score
I think the earlier open date will take the deer by surprise. I have seen more bucks this summer than ever! The beans will be turned already, so the deer probably wont pay much attention to them. I think my best bet will be sticking to the clover and any areas with some berries of any kind. I dont think any acorns drop in september, but when they do the bucks are easy pickings in the oak flats. Are you in an are with the point restrictions? I am also unclear whether you can take a doe and a buck with a bow before Nov. 13th. Any help is appreciated.

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Gastler~ thanks for the reply. Im not in an area that has any point restrictions. I hunt Johnson County. I have never really paid any attention at all to the acorns, mainly just the trails to and from bedding and feed. They are always in the corn and there after its done too. I am fairly sure that once archery opens, its open for 1 buck and 1 doe, and also 2 turkey. I havnt heard or read anything about any restrictions prior to Nov 13th on what can be taken. They also seem to hit the beans after harvest pretty hard. I have 2 new stand locations this year, old faithful, and have added one right at the corn/bean transgression on a treeline, then added one closer to the bedding area for later in the season.
Good Luck!

StringShooter

Reaction score
September is just too early for me. I not only enjoy hunting but I enjoy being out in the woods with the crisp air and changing colors. Too many chiggers, ticks and other pests out that early.

I normally wait until the end of October.

Chairman

Reaction score
I hear that, Stringshooter! Ticks, chiggers & mosquitoes...

This early opener really has me steppin' & a'fetchin'. I just got my food plots in, 2 weeks ago.

The heat is another factor. I can't take too much of it, so it isn't really that enjoyable sittin' out there. Not to mention the fact that spoilage of the meat is a real concern...

I usually stress out, trying to get all my ducks in a row, in time for the opener. I'm not even prepared, this year. I guess I'll just take it as it comes...

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Hey Chairman,
Sounds like your a procrastinator...LOL....I've been out since the opener, when weather permits. Amazingly, I have not seen one tick, but I have had quite a few skeeters buzzing at me. Good thing I have the net facemask. As for spoilage, it's all in getting it to a cooler asap. I'm use to that, coming from S. California and having bowseason in the dead of summer (August). But, it is a much more enjoyable hunt when theres frost on the ground, your in the longjohns, and moisture from your breath freezes on your facemask. Good Luck to you this season!

Chairman

Reaction score
WEll, I'm gonna have to wait at least a couple more weeks. I had to have cortizone shots in my right forearm, the other day. The tendinitis is acting up, and the Doc suggested i give my arm a rest for 2 weeks...

If nothing else, I'll get out there with a camera and take a few "shots"...

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
Chairman~ Wishing you a speedy recovery! Get out there and get some camera shots and post them. The pictures help wet the appetite for actual hunting.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom