• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

2007 Alaska Caribou Hunt

One Track

Thanks for a great story. I really enjoyed reading it. Congrats to the entire party on four awesome bulls. Sounds like this trip tested you all physically and mentally. I know those kind of trips are incredibly fulfilling when it's all done. Nothing compares. However, next time you go caribou hunting will you...Do It Yourself again, or treat yourselves to an outfitted hunt? Just curious.

sagebrush

One Track

I would go DIY again. It's just the way I like to do things. I think everyone in our group would agree. All lot of the work was hard on us but it meant so much more to DIY than to just be the trigger man. I don't think an outfitter could have made the experience any better. If I were twenty years younger, now that would've made a big difference!

One Track

Roger that Sagebrush. You guys aren't spring chickens. It really comes down to mental toughness. You guys are nails!!! Awesome.

bodega

Sagebrush, that was a great read. Thanks for the story. Congratulations also. Those bulls have character. I had a buddy do a DIY caribou hunt in Alaska a few years ago - three weeks floating down a river - and after hearing his stories and looking at his mounts, I decided that I have to do that trip before my hunting days are over. Thanks for the info and I'll definitely check out the same flight service you used.

Speckmisser

Sagebrush, that was an absolutely awesome tale! If the hunt was half as good as the story, you guys had the hunt of a lifetime!

Caribou is next on my "list" of dream hunts. Yours sounds like it meets the definition perfectly.

tmoniz

Banned
What a great story. And some fine bulls. Especially enjoyed the Grizz encounter.

Brings back old memories.

I need to talk to the wife about a trip.

She never says no.

bjake21

Congrats to all four hunters. Awesome story and pics, thanks for sharing. How much meat did you end up with and how is it?

Huntr Pat

I would love to do a trip like that at least in this life time. Great story and awsome pics Did you have any bow range shot.

BDB

WOW, that was one of the best hunt reports I have ever read on this site. Congrats on putting in the research and making it all happen. That is one HARDCORE hunt, big congrats to all of you.

sagebrush

bjake21

Our Alaska adventure had a little bit of a sad ending. Since we came out of the bush a day early, we had to change our travel arrangements for our return trip. We opted to fly home that night instead of staying in Anchorage for two days to catch the next available flight. We turned our packaged meat over to Alaska Air Cargo instead of trying to take it as checked luggage at the last minute. Unfortunately, Alaska Air Cargo didn't get it on the next flight and didn't put our meat into their cooler as promised. So our meat sat for two days on the tarmac and spoiled. When I went to Ontario to pick it up, one of the packages was open and all were full of rotten meat. Fortunately, our capes and antlers made it back in better shape, but we were really disappointed with the meat. After carrying it out, managing it for several days to maintain freshness in the field and boning it out in Kotzebue, only to have it spoil. The really sad thing is Alaska Air charged us for the freight and won't even extend the courtesy of a return call.

hunter pat

On our hunt, we saw many caribou, but none were in a situation that would work for an achery hunt. It wasn't like those hunts in Quebec you see on TV where they fly you out in front of a group of migrating caribou and wait for them to cross in front of you. We had to do a lot of hiking, then spot and stalk. All of the animals we spotted were on open tundra with no cover for a close encounter. On the second day of our hunt, several hundred walked by camp, but if we would've set up an archery ambush in anticipation of this event, it would've been a long wait and probably would've been busted by the lead cows before any bulls got to us.

Huntr Pat

Sagebrush,

I am really sorry you lost your meat, and what made it worst is that they did not take resposibilty for the lost. You should try small claims court. That really sucks. Thanks for the reply. What caliber did you all use? Thanks again I still think it was an awsome hunting story.

daddy63

Great story for sure... I hope to do the same hunt in the near future . I'm also curious about the gear you used? What calibers were used and also what packframes were used also? Any changes to gear if you were to do this hunt again?

Thanks again for the great story... Next best thing to being there.

bjake21

Sagebrush-

I'm sorry to hear about your loss and hopefully the airlines will try to work with you. Amazing hunt and memories, thanks again for sharing.

Top Bottom