2007 Alaska Caribou Hunt

sagebrush

Bonny and I both shoot Browning A-Bolt Hunters in .270. Rob shot a custom built .300 Wetherby Mag. and BobbyG shot a Remington 700 in 7MM rem. Mag. Our A-Bolts are blued with wood stocks, so each night I would dry them out with paper towels and then wipe them down with pre-packaged gun wipes. We had no rust issues with any of them.

The camp gear was all provided by Northern Air Trophy. They gave us Cabelas tents. All of the gear they provided worked flawlessly. We all wore Cabelas Microtex camo in various patterns. The Microtex worked great. It was warm enough and dried very quickly. We had two sets of camo, so we could wear one and let the other hang to dry for a full day. We layered our clothing with Under Armor, then Microtex, then fleece and the final layer was Cabela's Rain Suede bibs and parka. We used Cabelas DuraTrax 18" rubber boots for most of the hunt. I wore leather boots one day to let my rubber boots dry out. BobbyG wore his leather boots most days and rubber ones to let his leathers dry out. Rob, Bonny and I all used Kifaru packs with the gunbearer system and cargo chair. I used to buy a new pack every year trying to find the perfect one until I bought a Kifaru. I've used this same pack for the last six years. BobbyG used a Cabelas external frame pack. It worked well for carrying meat, but he's buying a Kifaru after seeing ours in action. Rob has three different sizes of Kifaru packs, the Spike Camp (which Bonny and I also use), the Day Hunter and the Long Hunter.

I was happy with our choice of equipment and wouldn't change any of it. If I was buying a new rifle, I would buy an A-Bolt Stainless Stalker just to be on the safe side in case of really bad weather or if I ever had the chance to use it on a coastal hunt.

If anyone wants to book a trip like this, I will be happy to share more detailed information one on one to help make your trip enjoyable and successful. I did a lot of research on the gear we selected for this trip and the logisitics of getting up there and back. I actually had a very good plan for getting our meat back, but abandoned that plan with the schedule change. In retrospect, that was a poor decision, but one does have to rely on the service provders to actually do their jobs. There is no need to re-invent the wheel if you want to do this trip and you can use my plan as a basis for creating your own plan. I will emphasize that a trip like this must be well planned and executed by commited participants. There is no room for error in the Alaska bush.

sagebrush

Minor correction to my last post. Rob's arsenal of Kifaru packs includes a Late Season, not a Day Hunter. There is no such pack as a Day Hunter.

Huntr Pat

Sagebrush,
I probly read your hunt atleast 3 times and its as if I was there. Someday if I can find the right guys to go with I may get modivated to do a hunt.

warren nelson

Very nice story, What a hunt and with great friends is a plus. I second Huntr pat get the right group to go makes it even better.

jstevens

Sagebrush- I got about halfway through the story before I saw Matt and Julie's names. I flew in with NAT last fall for caribou out of Kotzebue. It was a heck of a nice trip and we got plenty of meat as well as horns. I'll stick some of my pictures up here with yours when I have time.

Jim

warren nelson

It was a great read, Sage that the kind of hunt I was thinking about, I will have to sitdown and pick your brain, Thanks Gator

jstevens

I did a drop hunt with Matt in 2008. It is a good time, although we went through a horrible storm with about 50mph winds one night and most of the next day. As a matter of fact Matt's plane was tied down and still got rolled over and had some damage on one wing, had a considerable amount of duct tape on it when he picked us up. We also had to pack some of ours as far as 3 mi. by GPS, so it can run into a little work.

Huntr Pat

Its been a few year since I last read your story. I still enjoy reading as if its my 1st read. Having the right people in your group makes the difference in a good team to effectively make a safe and successfull hunt. I would enjoy doing this hunt but putting together the right people.

zatoan

Thanks for a great story. I really enjoyed reading it. Congrats to the entire party on four awesome bulls. Sounds like this trip tested you all physically and mentally. I know those kind of trips are incredibly fulfilling when it's all done. Nothing compares. However, next time you go caribou hunting will you...Do It Yourself again, or treat yourselves to an outfitted hunt? Just curious.

sagebrush

DIY, the only way to go. I think a guided hunt would take away too much from the experience. I enjoy making my own decisions and living with the result, good or bad. I never want to come home from a hunt and feel like I was just a trigger man.

Huntr Pat

All I can say envious and amazing adventure. I would do a diy trip with the right peeps.

Last edited:

Hog slayer

Well just got around in reading your story, what a great trip and adventure. Alaska the last frontier. Nice looking bulls. The encounter with the griz worked out. I am sure that was a little nerving. Nice story. Well written and I felt like I was on the hunt. Thanks for sharing. I am planning on doing a Caribou hunt sometime soon.

Huntr Pat

when is the next hunt. There should be a bunch of peeps interested in doing something like that. I would be interested.

Top Bottom