2007 D-4 harvest

driftmaster77

Reaction score
Well I got my usual D3-5 tag a couple of days ago. Had it last year and concentrated on D-4. It,s a relatively small area compared to D-3 or D-5. In browsing through the big game booklet I noticed there were 213 bucks shot in this zone last year. I hunted a couple of days in every week last year. Talked to almost everyone I saw. The total number of deer I know were taken and heard were taken added up to less than 20, on public land. I know I never saw anywhere near 200 hunters the whole season. The general feeling from everyone I talked to was "very few deer". I hunted from the I-80 side, Yuba Gap, Immigrant Gap, Cisco Grove. Came in through the Foresthill side. It was all pretty much the same. I'm figuring the vast majority of the kill must be low elevation private land bucks. It would be interesting to know what percentage of the total harvest in these D zones is actually taken on public land. 213 bucks just seems like an incredible number in D-4 judging from what I saw last year. Any opinions?

MQ

Reaction score
I dont have any numbers, but a look at the 2006 spot-kill map shows that there are many taken in the lower elevations, the majority in mid-season.

madhunter

Reaction score
Where do you find those spot kill maps? I know I found them last year but I am having trouble finding them now.

fpscabs

Reaction score
Too bad not every zone has a 'spot-kill' map.

swayback

Reaction score
Funny this subject came up. I just got done looking at pics from a buddys d4 buck today, what a buck, 25" 3x3 with gads of mass. Bases had to be 71/2", with some guards. Hunted d4 hard last year and never saw horns the whole season. I live in d4, and have plenty of bucks around. Sure would be nice if we could hunt the Auburn Rec Area, thats where the majority of our deer reside. Unfortunately the Auburn Rec area runs WAY up the American River canyon. Hunters got duped in that deal AGAIN! Many sq miles of huntable habitat that is only useable by horseback riders, joggers etc.

FresnoHunter

Reaction score
I thought Auburn State Rec Area allowed some hunting? I am fairly new to the area and have researched online as to hunting opportunities in the area and this seemed like a possibility. Have things changed to the point there is no hunting allowed in the rec area?

swayback

Reaction score
You cannot hunt the portion of land surrounding Auburn all the way up past Weimar (just below Colfax). I reside in Weimar, and have seen some dandys. Closest access is from Foresthill Rd, starting about Drivers Flat.There are tons of deer in there. Very steep. The deer vacate the canyon in summer and raid everybodys gardens for the remainder until the rains come.

Top Bottom