• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

2008 JHO Tejon POR - Memorial Day

One Track

Answer #1:

Yes, because once the hogs hear the trucks rolling in, they will head for cover and stay there all weekend. Park a 1/4 mile away from your glassing spots or honey holes. I've glassed up in excess of 100 hogs before 2pm on a single Friday. And, I've seen them head for the deep no man's land areas as the trucks started cruising the roads. The next day, I was lucky to see two in the same area.

Question #2:

Would it be wise to shoot the first mature hog you see?

Speckmisser

Thanks, Mark!

Don't be shy to ask me too, fellas... all the veteran Tejon hunters are glad to help.

Hey guys... anyone object to stepping back the breakfast to 0800, and starting the check-in at 0930? Barbara has another group of slackers...er... hunters to check in after us, and wants to get us done early as possible.

chirohunter

Earlier Check-In?? I'm for that!! 8am...sounds great to me! We could be hittin the hills by noon! Are we there yet??

I'll be hunting my third ever pig hunt...and third time at Tejon. I'll be bringing my Nephew(26 yrs)...it's his first attempt at wild pigs. He has hunted deer a few times with his pops, but has yet to be successful at harvesting any big-game. I'm hoping to hit the same area I was successful at this past March. My number one goal is to get him his first pig. We may be asking for some help/ideas, if we are without a pig by mid weekend. Thanks!

100% is my second goal...but a good one at that!

Steve

ozstriker22

Answer to #2 - Hell yes. Anything over 130lbs and I would Drop him at 11 am on Friday morning if I could. Then you get 2 full days to help other guys get theirs... and to drink... and to relax... and to drink.

Done and done!

One Track

Steve:

I hope you and your nephew score big. I hope to see you guys Saturday night 'round the campfire. Here's something an old man taught me on a Sunday afternoon at Tejon. Don't pass up a shot to go grab your buddy so he can kill first. And, man, it's so true. I've done it too many times and found myself sweating bullets on Sunday afternoon. You'll always want your guest, or newbie greenhorn buddy, to kill first. That's natural for kind-hearted folks like yourself. But, I've found that if I kill first, I have the rest of the weekend to concentrate on getting my buddies on hogs. And, you won't have to tote a bow or rifle. I think it's more fun putting my buddies on hogs than it is killing. But, you gotta get your hog tagged before you can really relax and enjoy it to the max. And, passing up a shot nowadays is risky. If your nephew is ready for the shot, then heck yah, let him have it. However, if he's fifty feet away looking at some pig dung, take the shot. As you know, hogs can vanish in a second. Take it for what it's worth. I'm just pumped and can't shut up.

ozstriker22

This is me dancing in my seat at work:

We're gonna shoot some piggies

chirohunter

OT,
Words of wisdom? I'll take it! It makes alot of sense...thank you!

Let me ask this: What do you think of the ole "1-2-3-shoot" method?....that is ONLY if a group of shooters present themselves within range, AND two pigs are positioned for a clean shot? Both take the shot, or just one shooter?

One Track

Both. Pull the trigger when you hear the R in Three. Say three like this. Tha Ree. Go over that with your buddy before shooting. Actually, for the counter/shooter the pause gives the brain a chance to engage the trigger finger and pull naturally with the next sound.

Speckmisser

Brent, took you long enough to figure that one out!

I love to help other hunters, especially new guys and gals, but there are limits. I'm no trophy hunter, so give me a good opportunity and I'm busting caps. First day, last day, it doesn't make a difference to me. The only reason for holding out on the first day is if you really are looking for a trophy. As many folks can attest, that pig you passed on Friday night can often be your last opportunity.

Steve, my recommendation for your scenario is to get your shot and take it. That counting thing is a sure fire way to miss two pigs instead of one. Decide who's gonna shoot and then go with the plan. Maybe you'll get a chance at the second one or maybe not.

MJB

Banned
1..2..3 does work some times but your best bet, is to have one of you shoot first and the other wait for the pigs to stop after the scramble you will get a shot, as long as they don't know where you are and don't be afraid to go running after them I have done that many times too. So after you shoot don't go screamming with joy until your buddy has on down.

Suprise, suprise, suprise......is the name of the game.

chirohunter

Thanks for all the input, guys. It gives food for thought! I think I will stay with the one shooter plan...all it would take is two monsters sitting in front of us for that plan to fly out the window.

Can not wait!!!!

hifi55

The event is finally upon us!

I'm heading out tomorrow for some last-minute bow tuning then its up to Tejon in the eve staying at the Ramada off grapevine. See all ya folks Friday AM, will be at the Flying J at 8!!!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
I've got a pretty good spot for Friday night if anyone needs a spot. It's where Russ got his pig last year. Not hard to get into from the road on Squirrel Ridge.

Snow level will be high, 8K. I would bring chains and tow straps for the mud if you have them. You never know how much rain we'll get.

Got 2 big turkey breasts from MO to fry up. I also have a pork roast if anyone has a way to do that up. What do you think would be best?

8am for breakfast sounds good.

QEU

Myself and Live2Hunt will be there to join you guys. It will be our first trip to Tejon so any help will be appreciated. We will also be there at 8 for breakfast...

grtwythunter

If anyone wants in the biggest hog jackpot see me at breakfast or at the check-in. I'll be in a white Tacoma with a shell. I'll be out hunting early so we need to get it taken care or early.

$5 entry, winner takes all. Speckmisser's scale is the official weigh-in and the weight MUST BE WITNESSED by a non-partisan party.

Scott

Batch61

I haven't been to Tejon in a few years. I'll be bringing a new hunter and any help will be appreciated.
One more looong day at work.

MJB

Banned
Rain????? The ranch is really dry so a little rain won't be too bad. They just bladed the roads a couple weeks ago so it should be good.

Here is the view of the ranch......if you take a look about 3pm you'll see me on the cam!!!! Look for the green GMC truck!

http://www.lonejuniper.com/

rusman66

Hey Phillip it looks like I am not gonna be able to make it. My father in law is in the hospital and I don't think he is gonna make it through the day. I called and left a message with Barbera. Let me know If there is anything else I need to do. I would much rather be with you guys this weekend but ya gotta do what ya gotta do Family first and all that... Good luck to you guys and as Big Black puts it "DO WORK SON"

Top Bottom