• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

2017 CA results are up. Anyone get lucky?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Finallly after 25+ years, Likely Tables, Zone 3 period 2. I got close last year as an alternate but didnt make it.

Anyone else get lucky?

Theres a ton of info on the forum too from others whove hunted it before. Time to do some reading.

scott0san

Im a lucky hunter too
Only took me 32 years (good grief)to be drawn. Ill be hunting Lassen zone 4 period 1
Yea!!!

HuntingFool03

lassen unit, Cherry Mtn... There in the flats but also hang out up higher on the hills. Seen some dandys out there last year.

Modocer

Congrats on the tag. If you come up to scout let me know. After so many years of being on your board, Ranchwife and I would like to actually meet you.

snoopdogg

Finding goats is not the problem. The website and biologist can tell point you in the right direction. Holding out for your special goat is up to you.

Congrats everyone who drew, I'll try again next year....

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
yes modocer, that would be nice to meet you and ranchwife and your family. Its looking like i might be there 2 days before season opens too scout and then all week to hunt and if i get lucky doing some sightseeing. Ive never been up in the NE corner of CA.

cjack

Congratulations, I've only been at it for 7 years so getting drawn in my lifetime probably isn't in the cards. Sounds like you are taking the right approach by allowing enough time to pre-scout and to get the job done. Best of luck!

BradCa

Congrats, Jesse! Best of luck! Be sure to catch up with Modocer and Ranchwife. They are good people. I will be hunting goats in WY this year.
Brad

Bigolwiggler

Big congrats on the draw Jesse ! Its some cool country over there, you like it. Double bonus is that you be able to meet Modocer and Ranchwife hopefully. I am sure they can point you in the right direction. I put in for Likely this year for the 1st time. ( I normally put in for Lassen ) . I have a close friend who grew up in Modoc and his family still lives there. He told me that he could help me out if I was drawn.

You are doing just like I did when I was drawn for Lassen. I had some maps and info from a friend , went up 2 days before , found my buck, got it opening day. One thing that happened to me was I showed up at my spot just as opening day broke . I could see two guys putting a stalk on the buck I wanted !! AARRGG !
During scouting I spooked that same herd myself so I knew where they might run if spooked. I jammed over to this area and waited. I heard the other guy shoot so I poked my head up to see which way the goats were running . Lo and behold , they were running straight towards me AND the big buck was at the head of the pack . I ended up letting the air out of the buck at about 125 yds.
Scouting Pays big time !!

I am stoked for you ......and a bit jealous ; ) POST PICTURES !

BOW

Last edited:

Jake F

CONGRATS Jesse and all others who are lucky enough to hunt the speed goats! I'm jealous has heck, cant wait to see pictures.

Halonhunter

Just hunted Likely Tables archery pronghorn. Saw lots of antelope on the tables but could not get close enough for a bow shot. Many 200 yard+ opportunities. You should not have a problem getting a nice one. Good luck!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
thanks halonhunter. I put in for years for the bowhunt and then switched off gun and then bow every year. Did you stalk mostly? I have one of them mel dutton decoys around here somewhere I never got to use.

For the boomstick I finally got a Browning Ive always wanted for this hunt, the Xbolt stainless stalker in .270 WSM. Lead free ammo for it was a chore to find. I finally found some Nolser etip in 130 grain and some Doubletap ammo in 110 grain. They had 150 grain also but would that be overkill for a antelope?

got my kneepads and bipod setup for just in case.

don766

Finallly after 25+ years, Likely Tables, Zone 3 period 2. I got close last year as an alternate but didnt make it.

Anyone else get lucky?

Theres a ton of info on the forum too from others whove hunted it before. Time to do some reading.

I drew Likely Tables period 1, 16 years of applying.

Top Bottom