2018 Archery Bear Success

dthome

Reaction score
Today was my ninth day out in the woods in search of bears. I’ve come across a number of bears during that time. One small bear crossed the trail in front of me at 8 yards when I was hiking to my destination. That blew my mind. Another was walking toward me on a logging road. We saw each other simultaneously at 30 yards, and I froze. The bear came within 20 yards to check me out before he ran off. I was never able to draw back my bow. Yet another time I stood on the edge of a berry thicket for an hour listening to a bear munching and breaking branches. It is amazing how many bears seem to be out this year.

This morning I decided to hunt the same area where I killed last year’s bear. I hiked in a short distance and sat on the edge of a meadow. I could hear multiple bears foraging in the alder thickets below me, and hoped they would exit in my direction when done feeding. I checked the wind, and was bummed to see that I was upwind of them. Oh well, I guess I can watch the sun rise. After about an hour of waiting, I heard some rustling above me, and turned around to see a bear moving behind me at 10 yards. I drew back my bow and watched as he moved through a tangle of tree branches. His head moved through a small opening, and I could see him smelling the air. Satisfied, he moved forward, and when his vitals were visible, I released an arrow.

The bear was hit in the lungs, and he turned and ran for about 40 yards before he collapsed and died. I could hear his last breaths, which were within 3 minutes of my shot. I am so grateful for this bear, which will feed my wife and I for the next year. Interestingly, when skinning him, I came across multiple yellow jackets attached by their stingers to his skin (see pic). It’s the price he paid for digging up their nests.

Attachments

Last edited:

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Super congrats dt! Wtg on filling your tag, a bear with a bow with a great shot and humane kill and filling the freezer what else could u ask for. thnx 4 sharing your story and pics!.....tra

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Well after hunting as many days as you did you earned him. Congratulations. Now you need to fill that deer tag.

Jake F

Reaction score
Congrats! That's a nice archery bear! Way to shoot.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks for the early season update!
Summer bee larvae and berries has me thinking you got some good eaten.

Wild1

Reaction score
Congratulations! Great looking color!

P304X4

Reaction score
Thanks for saring the story and pics.....congrats on a successful hunt.

Planetcat

Reaction score
Nice bear and great story! I was up north in b-2 this weekend and it was God awful hot.

dthome

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, guys. I've got a question for you: how do you display your skulls? Mine are all in a drawer, but I'd like to do something more with them. Ideas?

hntnnut

Reaction score
good looking bear, congrats.

Richard

Wild1

Reaction score
Beetles is one way, mine where done using warm water maceration = free.

artinmata

Reaction score
Great success story...you mind sharing what zone were you hunting?

dthome

Reaction score
This was in the Sierra Nevada. Zone D3-5.

Top Bottom