• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

2018 Archery Bear Success

OPAH

God I miss Bear Meat ! so freaking good
Wlid1:
Warm water maceration Marceration ?
Got it:
1 the softening and breaking down of skin resulting from prolonged exposure to moisture.

Guess the brin would just pour right out, How long of a soak ?

Last edited:

dthome

You were out there for 9 days at a stretch?
No, the 9 days was over two trips. The first trip was for 6 days. The second was 3, obviously.
I typically hunt for 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening. I chase quail and grouse the rest of the day, or loaf around a bit.

dthome

God I miss Bear Meat ! so freaking good
Wlid1:
Warm water maceration Marceration ?
Got it:
1 the softening and breaking down of skin resulting from prolonged exposure to moisture.

Guess the brin would just pour right out, How long of a soak ?
You should remove as much tissue as possible before you soak. Including the brain. A pressure washer works well, and you sometimes get the added bonus of brain backspray all over your face if you're not careful. You can also use a 12 gauge brush and a drill to pulverized the brain.
It typically takes several months for my skulls to finish the maceration process.

cjack

I clean my bear skulls and set them on a shelve in the "man cave." People always enjoy looking at them!
Wild1, what did you use to make the skull in the top photo glossy? I'm getting ready to do my first skull and I like the look of the gloss.

TheGDog

You should remove as much tissue as possible before you soak. Including the brain. A pressure washer works well, and you sometimes get the added bonus of brain backspray all over your face if you're not careful. You can also use a 12 gauge brush and a drill to pulverized the brain.
It typically takes several months for my skulls to finish the maceration process.
There are two bony areas kinda where the earhole would make it's way into the cranium. With an old screw-driver or 1/2" chisel, you can poke-out and pry-out these certain bone pieces that snap out easily and help provide you with more access holes into the cranial cavity to ensure you've gotten out all those tissues in there.

And on my last buck I got with bow... I just said fuggit and tore-out as much of the thin little sinus cavity bones as I could. Cause so much little impossible-to-get-to tissues gets left-behind in all that sinus space. Any flesh that's left behind requires longer and longer amounts of time simmering in a solution with peroxide in order to cure the flesh bits which are in there so they can no longer support bacterial growth. And since you're new to it and trying to be cautious... in the beginning you end up having to redo that simmer a number of times because there'll still be some bits stuck up within that sinus part you can't just rip-out, the hemostats won't reach-in that far. And since you're being cautious and don't want to boil it too long and somehow make the bones themselves get too soft, you end up not simmering enough out of caution.

ALso... I've find it much easier to go back and clean their teeth after you've done the simmer and then did the mop&glow brush-on. It's then that I grab a brass-brush and a Q-Tip I dab with the peroxide creme right onto the tartar-line on the teeth. And ya gotta let that stuff sit there for quite a bit to work on all that build-up along where the gumline was. When it's time, the Brass Brush works fast and doesn't seem to hurt the tooth surface!

Stevehazard

Somebody did me the disservice years ago of serving me some bear they got from Alaska... the bear must of been eating nothing but rotting salmon because that's what it tasted like. I've heard that the Sierra bears taste great but I still have the trauma of that rancid steak in the back of my mind.

With the maceration how often are you guys changing the water?

dthome

Gdog,
Not sure what all the “simmering” is about. Maceration is when you soak a skull in warm water for months. I use an aquarium heater to keep the water warm. The nasal cavity turns out beautifully. Bear teeth are very sensitive to heat, so boiling or simmering will cause the teeth to crack and flake for years into the future. I know from experience.

Steve, I change the water once a week or so. No biggie if I forget.
Diet is everything with bear meat. Even Alaska black bears can taste great if harvested in the spring, when they’re eating greens. Check out this thread for how bear tacos are made: http://www.jesseshunting.com/showthread.php/264867-Bear-Life-Cycle-in-Pictures

Stevehazard

The logical part of my brain knows that none of the bears I've seen around here or back down south would never taste like that. Then there is this illogical sub conscious part that was scarred by something I ate in the past. Sort of like people who drink too much of something. To me it tasted like somebody bought the cheapest oldest salmon they could get, left it out for a couple of weeks, and then infused that taste into a terrible steak. My guess is that is exactly what the bear had been eating, the fish that die after spawning and wash ashore. The only thing I've had that I'd say was worse was some goat that was served at a wedding of all places. Sadly my family also had that bear so that is their impression as well. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing to have freezer full of meat that only my daughter and I would eat if I ever got one. What do they actually taste like... the ones that haven't been gouging on rotting fish that is?

About maceration I think I heard somewhere that changing the water more frequently makes it go faster so I was curious as to how often gave you that time frame. And yeah simmering or boiling is something I've done in the past. Everything about it sucks.

Top Bottom