2018 Nov 9th headed to SD for pheasants

warren nelson

We turned 100 hens loose in April some of them nested for sure.
Cutting road side ditches middle of July and hens was still sitting on nests of eggs.
Going to be a bunch of late young birds,

9th thru the 16th we will be there.

T.R.

Last year my friends and I hunted near Mitchell, South Dakota. We had a great time!

TR

OPAH

I would love a good Pheasant hunt again, been too long sence the last one.
But I thought it limit was two in hand, maybe that was just for the hunt I was one
Got a dog and handler for free as a training exersize for the dog, worked out really good

warren nelson

We are northeast of Huron. Hunt a lot of family owned land plus a bunch of Neighbors land that they let us on.
My brothers are see some 2nd hatch birds, Hope they all make it.
3 a day is the limit. Will be take back a new Pup this year.

cjack

Very encouraging, thanks for the updates. Hoping to do my first SD hunt this year, maybe combine it with my Nebraska deer hunt.

warren nelson

They are combining corn right now and the birds are there.
Lots of fields will be combined by the opener.
They had a little bit of snow last week.

cjack

Oh man, I'm jealous! I'll be stuck in California but I may try a California Wildlife Refuge for the opener next Saturday. Also planting birds and doing cleanup for a DFW hunt here in So. Cal. the following weekend. Haven't ruled out a trip to SD later in the season though. Looking forward to an update from you after the trip, best of luck to you warren nelson and crew!

warren nelson

CJack
you missed a good one. 3 DAYS OF SUPER COLD AND 30 MPH WINDS THEN 2 days of awesome dog work and hunting.
Lots of standing corn made for tough hunting but as the corn dried and the combines start to roll the birds showed up in great numbers has some huge flushes and not enough hunters to stop them from getting away. Huge sloughes held huge numbers of birds, the problem was just one shot and it seems like very bird flew, pretty to watch but didn't do much to put a bird in the bag.
But SD lived up to it rep on numbers of birds that was seen.

cjack

CJack
you missed a good one. 3 DAYS OF SUPER COLD AND 30 MPH WINDS THEN 2 days of awesome dog work and hunting.
Lots of standing corn made for tough hunting but as the corn dried and the combines start to roll the birds showed up in great numbers has some huge flushes and not enough hunters to stop them from getting away. Huge sloughes held huge numbers of birds, the problem was just one shot and it seems like very bird flew, pretty to watch but didn't do much to put a bird in the bag.
But SD lived up to it rep on numbers of birds that was seen.
If you need more hunters to keep them in check keep me in mind for next year. Sounds like you guys had a good time despite the early cold snap.

warren nelson

Now that all the corn is combined They are seeing a lot more birds then before.
Hoping for a mild winter for a huge carry over for next year.

The guys who are hunting in DEC will see tons of them and have a awesome hunt.

Top Bottom