• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

2019 Archery Bear

dthome

Reposting since this thread was lost in the transition:

Like last year, it took me 9 days in the woods to get a bear, and just like last year, I got lucky on September 1. But in past years, I’ve hunted at 6,500’ elevation in the Sierras. This year, I focused on 3,500’ instead. I prefer the higher elevations because it’s cooler and prettier (with more evergreens), but the key to bear hunting is always the same: find their food sources. Because of this year’s heavy snows, the choke cherries had not yet ripened, so I moved down in elevation to hunt the blackberries, and it paid off.

I found this bear foraging on blackberries, and made a heart shot at thirty yards. I’ve never seen an animal die so quickly. After I shot, the bear ran uphill for maybe 20 feet, then stumbled and fell back down from where it came. No need to trail blood. Grim reapers are effective, that’s all I can say. Not only did I not have to trail this bear, but it was within a few feet of an old skid road, and I was able to back my truck right up to it. Years ago, I installed a winch at the front of my truck bed, and attached the winch cable to a removable plywood floor in my truck bed. I pulled the plywood floor out of the truck bed, and leaned it against the tailgate like a ramp. Once I dragged the bear up on the ramp, the winch pulled the plywood with the bear into the truck bed. It was slick as snot. Then, I drove to the cabin and butchered in record time.

The most interesting part of this hunt was right after I shot the bear. Some hikers came upon me, and asked me what was going on. I told them I had hunted this bear. They responded, “Is it going to be ok?” “No”, I said, “it is not going to be ok, but that was my objective.” They then asked, “Is someone going to come and get this?” I replied, “No, I’m going to take it home and eat it.” I really don’t think they could comprehend that. Society has become so far removed from the source of their food, that they don’t recognize it in its unprocessed form. It’s very sad, and I think it’s dangerous for the political longevity of our hunting heritage.

Anyway, one last thing: attached is a picture of where I removed a hindquarter. Look at that layer of fat! I rendered a ton of lard this year. Happy hunting everyone!

F53BD9C5-48F4-4EDD-A790-02E49C375696.jpeg

E925CB90-4AD3-42D8-B626-2EAFC6C6CA17.jpeg

B7E66383-DDB6-4E85-B916-1E89FDA5DF8E.jpeg

7E5FD2AE-C793-4E91-986A-877BF3F6138B.jpeg

3A7D9B5A-E73B-4D6C-A580-894886343522.jpeg

Bossbrott

Nice coat on that bear along with some great looking fat.
It's truly a disservice to our education system whereas our children don't learn more on food and processing your kill.

Bankrunner

Nice and thanks for sharing your adventure!
That's way cool you harvested the lard, it would be nice to hear how you work it into your cooking. Seams like it would get along nicely with a cast iron skillet and some browning. I had an established knife maker tell me the best thing you can do to help preserve a bone handle knife is to rub animal fat on it when your cleaning an animal. I would imagine that your bear lard would work just as good or better.

TheGDog

I bet that Bear fat would be The Bomb addition to various recipes where I person might normally add Bacon Fat.

Zanglo

Hey sorry if it’s a dumb question but how do you harvest the fat? Do you scrape it from the hide or do you cut it off the meat? Or do you cook it off the meat like bacon grease? Nice bear congrats!

dthome

Hey sorry if it’s a dumb question but how do you harvest the fat? Do you scrape it from the hide or do you cut it off the meat? Or do you cook it off the meat like bacon grease? Nice bear congrats!
Not a dumb question at all. As you can see, the fat is in a thick layer over the muscle. You can cut it off in big sheets. Then, you render it. I grind it, then put it in the crock pot on low for a couple hours. It liquifies, and you can pour it in jars for storage.

Top Bottom