2019 South Dakota Pheasants

warren nelson

My Brother and Nephew are raising up a bunch of chicks(700 of a mix run of chicks) this year due to the winterkill that hit the Midwest pretty hard. They are see lots of roosters still but not a lot of hens. So we are hoping we get at least 50% of the chicks are hens. We might get a late hatch from them after we turn them loose.
We plan right now to be back there 2nd weekend of Nov again this fall.
I will be taking back at least 3 dogs and a few more hunters.

pilgrimbizket

Are they incubating the eggs? I'm no where near a professional but doesn't an incubation with higher heat produce hens?

warren nelson

No they are straight runs of chicks which means they don't sex the eggs before they hatch them out and you get what you get.
These chicks are 3-4 weeks old. Should run close to 50/50 deal 50% hens and 50% roosters. But the straight run are cheaper then asking for all hens.
350 hens would cost us just as much as a straight run of roosters and hens so we are willing to have more birds and less hens and still hope we get a 50/50 split.

warren nelson

They changed up and brought a bunch of full grown hens that they have already released. The weather was so cold they didn't want to try and keep those chicks alive and well.

warren nelson

Well the counts are down, But any day hunting ditch Parrots is a good day of hunting.
Our area didn't seem to get the winterkill as some area, Places with Large sloughs seem to hold more birds and they wintered better then the smaller area's.

warren nelson

snow and wet weather has slowed down the combining of the corn lots of corn will still be standing by the opener.

cjack

South Dakota pheasants is still on my list of things to do. Going deer hunting in Southern Colorado in 3 weeks, if things go well there and I have the time I may shoot up to South Dakota. If not I will definitely put it in my plans for 2020. You stories every year get me in the mood to give it a go.

warren nelson

Will do, \The only good new is the rooster count is up by 2 %.
BUT the overall pheasant count is down by 12%
Cold weather is always a factor. That wind chill is the worse.
Those 20 mph winds makes it a touch harder to knock them down.
Warm socks and long johns are a must no need for t-shirts.

warren nelson

Tough hunt LOTS OF HUGE unpicked corn fields, soy beans, etc, flooded sloughs, High winds for several days and a few days was just flat a$$ cold but that helped to freeze the sloughs so we could walk in them.
still ended up with 34 birds for 5 days of hunting 5-7 guys (some days only 5 guys) did get to see a bunch of birds was happy with the amount we put up in the air. When that 20 mph wind pushing them they are hard to knock down. LOL

cjack

Great numbers, 20 mile per hour winds can make it tough though. I did a planted pheasant hunt for CA DFW, 65 degrees and sunny with no wind! I'd still rather be in South Dakota chasing wild birds. Thanks for the report!

Top Bottom