205-pound deer carcass stolen from Virginia hunter's yard

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Saturday, November 17, 2001.

'They said they had been eating very well this week'
Stolen deer turns out to be suspects' meal.

Andy Blanton is having second thoughts about pressing charges against the two men.

By LAURENCE HAMMACK, THE ROANOKE TIMES

A set of antlers that Andy Blanton held in his hand Friday afternoon is about all that is left of the majestic eight-point buck that the proud hunter once hung from a tree.

The rest of the 205-pound deer is gone - reportedly eaten by two men who police Friday that they stole the carcass from the yard of Blanton's Southwest Roanoke home, officers said.

Earlier this week, Blanton took out a classified ad in the newspaper that gave the "worthless slimeball who stole the deer hanging in my front yard" two days to return the evidence or face criminal charges.

But now that he has the culprits in his cross hairs, Blanton said he's not sure whether he wants to file charges. He says information police gave him about the suspects' personal circumstances is one reason for his indecision.

Although he declined to elaborate, it seems the "slimeballs" were hungry at the time of the crime.

By the time authorities caught up with the men on Friday, they learned that all the venison had been served before justice could be. The deer's head, antlers and hide were all that was left.

"They said they had been eating very well this week," Blanton said. "I'm glad, because it was a beautiful animal."

Although Blanton has his doubts that two men could have eaten so much deer meat in five days, he's relieved to have part of his trophy back.

On Friday, police returned the antlers to Blanton, who plans to have them mounted.

"I had no expectation of getting anything back," he said, praising the "fabulous job" police did.

A break in the case of the kidnapped carcass came earlier in the week, when police learned that on Sunday night, a patrol officer had spotted two men dragging a dead deer down a street not far from Blanton's Arlington Road home, police spokesman Shelly Alley said.

Although the officer did not have enough information to charge the men, he took their names and addresses before letting them go. When Blanton reported the theft the next day, police tracked the men down.

Alley also declined to comment on the suspects' personal circumstances that have apparently given Blanton second thoughts.

Whether the men will be charged with larceny is up to Blanton. The 40-year-old health supply salesman said he hopes to make a decision by Monday. In the meantime, he's planning another hunting trip.

kuff

Reaction score
If the circumstances are what I guess they are, the men would have probably only needed to ask. I don't think most hunters would object to giving someone who is less fortunate some food, I know I would have.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Odd that someone would do that, but if they were really "hungry"...  I'd have a hard time pressing charges too.

Someone nabbed a cooler full of a freshly butchered doe my brother had just killed a couple of weeks ago (in NC).  He said he had it sitting in the shade behind his van while he went in to move his tree stand, and someone took it while he was in the woods.  

Damned dangerous, stealing from a well-armed hunter.  Just hard to believe someone would steal meat like that.  

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
I too would have a hard time pressing charges if the men that stole the deer were in dire need of food.  However, I don't beleive that stealing the deer was the right thing to do to aquire food.  In our state, we have so many "road" kills, anyone that is hungry can get on a list, and when a road kill pops up in your area, they call you immediately to come and get the carcass!! At least the guy got his trophy rack back.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
If your hungry and you have not eaten in days you would do anything to get some food (i.e. if they had kids to feed) anyways stealing it was wroung, at least he got the rack back.

Top Bottom