22. for coyote

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dermody15

Reaction score
Is a 22. to light for coyote hunting or will it get the job done anyone have experinces with 22. hunting? also whats the longest accurate shot you heard of with a 22. rimfire?

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
a 22 is too small. a 22 mag is a LITTLE better but still falls short. save it for squrreils and wabbits. stick whit the 223, 243, 22-250 and you should do ok.

EVAN III

Reaction score
     I agree .22 LR is to small. .22 mag also in my opinion is also to small, not to say I wouldn't take a close shot with the 22. mag.  If you are looking for a small caliber to hunt yotes with I would say the smallest would be the .22 Hornet.

EVAN III

songdog

Reaction score
I agree with Evan.  A .22 Hornet is the smallest I would go with a coyote.  With a Hornet, I'd limit it to about 150 yards too.

I've shot them with .22/.22 Mag but the results vary greatly.  Sometimes they go right down.  Other times they're over the horizion before you know what happened.  Yes it will kill them, no it's not a good idea.

Dermody15

Reaction score
well wouldnt a clean shot from any cal. to the head or heart do the job? im kinda new to this sport and have a ruger 10/22 with target barrel and stock and kinda wanted to try it out on coyote. what r  the reasons y a 22 is too light? will the coyote like charge u are something? i would have to say that with a accurate shot a .22  could  defently kill or drop the coyote. But i dunno i have never tried hunt coyote with it befor. has anyone here ever hunted with a .22 befor?

(Edited by Dermody15 at 3:14 pm on Aug. 3, 2002)

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
all you are going to do with a 22 is wound the coyote. the idea is not to shoot it 20 times to put it down. regardless if you have a target barrel or not. the target barrel just makes it heavier and harder to get a good shot. it is not at all like shooting paper. he may run towards you or more then likely it will run away from the noise. what you are looking for are humane kills. if all youy have is the 10/22 then save your money and buy a 223. their cheap to shoot and you can find one anywhere. when i first started i had this super wham gun made only it turne out to be WAY to hearvy to lug around. it was ans is the most accurate gun i have ever ownedbut it was more of a bench gun then a hunting rifle. i had another one built atfer that but i wen to other direction. i figurd small and accurate is what i needed so i had an XP-100R built. sweet ass gun but not being much of a handgunner i couldn't hit the side of a barn with it. my could shot the **** off a fly with it but i never could get it to perform for me. after that i bought a cheap H&R single shot 223 and used that. it's a good cheap gun that puts them where you want them. but lately(the past year) all i am using is my 30-06. coyotes are good practice for bears. LOL i know i know , kind of extreme but i've never had one run of after being hit!

cc

Dermody15

Reaction score
maybe your right a .22 is too light. do you know any good manufactors for varmit rifles?
which would be better for coyote .223 or 22-250 (which has more range)???? also do you know of any fast shooting varmit gun that can double as a deer rifle?

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
it all depends on your budget or what you are willing to spend for a gun. the 223 is probably the most popular choice because it is relatively cheap to shoot. the 22-250 has alot more range but also cost more for a box of ammo. as far as a coyote/deer rifle i'm not sure if the 22-250 would make the cut or not. but i think the .243 is the smallest you should go. also let me say that i do not have very much experience with the 22-250 either. but i thinki rememeber EVAN saying he had one maybe if he sees this again he will be able to better inform you in the 22-250 as a deer round.

cc

songdog

Reaction score
This is just opinion but it's based on hundreds of called in coyotes so take it for what it's worth...

Any rimfire, .22, .22 Mag, especially the new .17 HMR are all too light for coyotes.  Yes, they will all kill them at times but not consistently... or even more than half the time in my experience.

The minimum that I would use for coyotes is a .22 Hornet.  Even that is light in my opinion for a "coyote rifle".  In the right hands and held to about 150 yards or less, it will work.

The "ideal" coyote rifles are in the .223 to .243 class.  They'll kill them even when hit around the edges - which is important.  Coyotes aren't big and often provide a moving target.  It's not uncommon, even for an experienced shooter, to put one off center in a coyote.  

Anything bigger than a .243 will certainly kill a coyote but probably deader than it needs to be.  However, I'd much rather see someone shoot a coyote with a .300 Win Mag than a .22 any day of the week.

As far as varmint weight vs. standard weight setups.  Varmint weight guns are great for varmints - those are squirrels, prarie dogs, etc.  Coyotes are predators.  Carry a 12lb gun from stand to stand and you'll find it a liability not an advantage.  Stick with the sporter weight if you're buying a "coyote rifle".

Just an opinion so take it for what it's worth...

Dermody15

Reaction score
i dunno if this means anything but i just looked in the cebals shooting catologe and they have 22lr with 80gr tips. it shows a pic of them two they look really wierd. but will this added wieght be more deadly on coyote?

songdog

Reaction score
Use the right tool for the job.  A rimfire simply isn't the right tool to use to hunt coyotes.  Sure you can drive a screw with a hammer if you beat it hard enough but a screwdriver makes it a lot easier.  A .223 will kill coyote cleaner.  Kill them further away .  Loose fewer and overall make your coyote hunting a much better experience.

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
songdog definately has it right! now just put your 22 away and start saving for a bigger  gun. shop around and if you have a question ask it at the gun shop or if you are not comfortable doing that ask it here. there are plenty of people here with field experience to get you pointed in the right direction and help you pick the right gun for the game. it doesn't matter how good a shot you are while you are shooting paper the game changes when you are hunting. try this, it's something my buddy use to do for combat  pistol comps. drive someplace where you can target shoot, like the desert. mark on the ground(scuff it with your foot or place a rock) where you plan to shoot from set up your target then RUN back to your truck and run around it 10 times. then imediately run to your shooting spot and draw on your target and shoot. my buddy did this type of practice and it help him shoot and acruire his target faster and more accurately. all the running is to get your breathing up. sounds stupid but it works.

cc

EVAN III

Reaction score

As for an Yote/deer gun, I would say go with nothing less then a .243..  A well placed shot from a 22-250 would probly take down a deer ( with the proper bullet and weight), but I would not recommend useing it. I don't own a 22-250 yet, so this is just my opinion. If you are looking around, I suggest you look into a .243.. The ammo is easy to find and it won't cost an arm and leg. For coyotes you can use the lower weight ( 55gr) bullets and for deer you can get heavyer bullets (75 gr. and up) The difference in bullet weight will throw off your sights, so be sure to sight in when ever you change bullet weights,brands, and loads.  Personally I would forget all about hunting yotes with .22 LR/ .22 Mag. To anwser your question about head shooting yotes with these calibers, yes it would kill a yote, but 99% of the time you won't get the clean shot. You will only end up wounding and causeing unnessasary suffering to the animal. If you are looking for an inexpensive yote rifle, I would recommend the New England Arms Handi-Rifle. It is a single shot break action rifle, I have one in .243 and it is a great rifle.

EVAN III

TScottW99

Reaction score
Dermody15,

I agree with what the guys have said 100%.  You can't go wrong listening to Song Dog, i've listened to him on several forums for over a year now and have learned alot.  Like Evan said the H&R/NEF single barrel makes for a great coyote gun.  Since your looking for a yote/deer gun I too will suggest the .243.  Just make sure you use the proper bullet weights when it comes to deer hunting..i,e... 100grains.  The H&R/NEF's run from $160-$$225 depending on what you want.  Extra barrels can be bought through H&R/NEF for around $70 which gives you the option of going to a bigger caliber if you so choose to do so.  Here's thier link in case your interested..............

H&R/NEF

look around thier sight and see if you like anything.  the next step is to try one on for size at your local dealer.  Good luck to you.  

Scott

headshot223

Reaction score
Well everyone is saying not a good idea, but there has to be someone that stands out.
Guess thats going to be me. I think that a 22 lr would be a good choice for yotes. BUT it would have to be a 22 that could put the bullet in the same spot every time and your shot would have to be dead on in the head or neck at the base of the ears.

But I wouldnt use a 22lr for yotes anyways. Unless you are going to do something with the hide. I would use a high powered rifle something like a 270 or a 308, what ever you have for a deer rifle.

Headshot223

Remshot

Reaction score
Dermody15,when I was 15 or 16 I taught myself varmint hunting.I had no mentor and it was all trial and error.I hunted alone and all I had was a stock 10/22 and CCI mini mags. I shot a lot of coyotes and sometimes had to chase 'em down. I guess I was just lucky in my ignorance.But a word of warning,sometimes they'll turn around and chase you!

rlwright

Reaction score
for coyotes your 22lr has about the same range as your shotgun, so get a close shot.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Advertisement

Top Bottom