.22 Mag

uhunter

Reaction score
Looking at getting a 22 mag for yotes and bobcats and for fox later in life. I want to pick up a decent rifle for preds. I have 30-06, 30-30 and 12 ga. I know what these do. I just want something that wont cost me more than about 250.00  Just asking for imput any ideas and comments would be great.

Bill W

Reaction score
If I were to pick an ideal caliber for the uses you've described I go for a bolt action .223.  I personally think the 22 mag is too small for coyotes.  I know a lot have been killed with it but a lot are lost as well.  Moreover, I can't imagine even trying to take a coyote with a 22 mag out beyond 75 yards.  That is a pretty limited range for a rifle being purchased specifically for varmit shooting.  I have  a .22 mag and almost never shoot it. If the jobs is too big for a 22 LR, why not just grab a centerfire?

The only real advantage I see in the 22 mag is that it is a lot quieter than a .223 and that could be important in some locations.

Another up side for the .223 in my mind is that it is extremely accurate and effective to better than 300 yards.  (The .223 is hotter at 300 yards than a 22 mag v-max is at the muzzle).  As far as economy, the .223 gives you the option of shooting all of the cheap surplus ammo around.

I'd imagine a Savage Model 110 could be had for about what you're talking price-wise.  I have one with a sporter barrel that is a heck of an accurate gun for the price (3/4 inch groups at 100 yards-all you need for varmit shooting).

JMO

Bill

songdog

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with Bill.  I've shot more than a couple of coyotes with a .22Mag and it does work but it really doesn't leave any room for error.  Coyotes can take a lot of killing.

If you're hunting foxes, I think that the .22Mag is just about perfect.  Most SoCal coyotes are about 22-25 lbs while the little gray foxes that we have here are only about 8 lbs.  Even a .223 chews up those foxes pretty well.  

If you had to split the difference between the .22Mag and the .223 I'd opt for a .22 Hornet.  It's not ideal for coyotes out past 150-200 yards but it will kill them with a reasonable amount of authority within that range.  It also works quite well on foxes and bobcats in the same range and won't turn them inside out like a .223 or .22-250.

Unfortunately, there's no single round that will cleanly drop a coyote at 400 yards yet not turn a fox inside out at 20 yards.

There are a few Hornet models to be had for around $250.  I have a Savage 24F that has a .22 Hornet over a 12 ga shotgun that is a nice predator gun.  It runs about $279 new.  Ruger's little 77/22H is one of my favorites.  New it's probably closer to $379 but you could find one second hand in your price range.  NEF makes their Handy rifle in .22 Hornet for under $200 and is a solid bargin and good shooter.

For an 80 year old cartridge, the Hornet still works pretty well for bridging the gap between the .22Mag and the .223.

yotegetter

Reaction score
Hey Songdog,

I took my wife out coyote hunting a couple of months ago in Los Padres. She loved it and I thought I'd get her a Handi Rifle in .22 hornet. Where could I find it for under $200. I'm in So. Cal in the Long Beach area. Thanks!

songdog

Reaction score
I don't know too many places down there but the one that I do know of is The Stockade in Westminister.  The prices are so so but they have quite a bit in stock.  I like them because they're one of the only places in SoCal that stocks Ruger #1's (a personal weakness of mine).  They normally have 10-15 in stock which should tell you what they have for other more common firearms.

You could try your local Turner's.  The ones up here don't carry them but they could certainly order it for you.

One more excuse to build the Cabela's type store around here...

yotegetter

Reaction score
A Cabela's would be the greatest thing around here. I'll try the stockade. I know they're a bit pricy there. I'm willing to take a drive if it means saving some cash. Thanks for your help songdog

songdog

Reaction score
Remington just announced that their 2002 Classic rifle will be in .221 Fireball.  This is quite a bit more expensive in the $600 range but would be another really nice alternative to the Hornet.  It would buy you some extra range and still not make too much or a mess out of an 8lb fox.

Just another thought...

coyotehunter 1

Reaction score
Songdog,
I wonder, Remington is going to re-introduce the 221 in a classic... will they produce factory 221 Fireball ammo again. It is a great cartridge, it's good to hear. I shoot a Remington X-P 100 first issue pistol in 221FB, it's strictly a reloaders cartridge at this time. The 10" barreled X-P runs around 2650 fps mv. with Rem. factory loads. It will be interesting to see what the rifle will produce in muzzle vel.
Also good advice on the 22 mag... at best a "iffy" round on coyotes.
ch 1      

songdog

Reaction score
I don't know if Remington will reintroduce ammo.  I would assume so if they're going to chamber this gun for it.  Even so, if you walk into most gun shops, they still have a number of boxes on most shelves.

If you already have a press it's only another $30 for dies and you're set.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Yotegetter-I ordered a Handi Rifle in .22 Hornet today...$236.00. 10 more days and those varmints better watch out!!!!       Scott

uhunter

Reaction score
grtwyhunter, hey any chance you can share some info on where you ordered that 22 hornet from?
fred

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I ordered it at The Gun Shop in Lancaster. Ron (the owner) is a great guy and will order just about anything.

jrifenbark

Reaction score
I am going to buy a Ruger Single Six.  It comes with an extra .22 Mag cylinder.  It this enough to hunt coyote at close range?  I've obviously never hunted yotes before.  It seems that it would be light.  I'm not sure at what ranges coyotes are taken.  

What is the largest animal that I could humanely take with a .22 Mag at 25 yrds?  I will probably get the 6.5" barrel.

Thanks

BirddDog

Reaction score
Shot placement is critical if you're using a .22 Mag. on coyotes. I don't reccomend it for serious use on coyotes. I've hit them perfectly with a .17, .222 Rem., 22-250, 6mm and still have them take off, they can be pretty tough. Consider that a lot of three legged coyotes got that way from getting shot or his by cars and they survive the injuries. I've caught several like that in traps over the years and it always amazed me that an animal with a debilitating injury like that is fat and sassy.

EVAN III

Reaction score

I've hit coyotes with, 44 mag 240 gr. doing about 2100 fps (out of a carbine), and a .270 150 gr. partiton, and they still either run or do the death spin for a few seconds. So as BirddDog said they are pretty tough. .22 mag will work, but as songdog would say "shot placement is everything". If you want a pistol for close range yote slaying, I would say .357 mag would be suitable. Good luck with your choice.

BirddDog, welcome to Jesse's. There are a great bunch of guys and gals here, so settle in and enjoy. I look forward to more post from you.

EVAN III

songdog

Reaction score
A .22 Mag will kill a coyote, no question about it.  That being said, I'd grab just about every other gun in the safe before a .22 Mag when going out after coyotes.  A couple of reasons.

Like Evan and the other said, they can be pretty tough to kill for a 25lb dog.  Even when shot with something big and mean like a .44 with a solid hit in the boiler room.

When you hit them around the edges - which happens all to often on a moving target which they normally are - you have very little "shock" ability put them down with a .22 Mag.  Will it still kill it?  Most likely, but after 24 hours a mile away under a bush.  I posted a picture a while back of a coyote that a friend shot basically right in the butt with a .243.  He flopped down on the ground and went nowhere.  The same shot with a .22 Mag would have been a lost coyote.

If all you have is a .22 Mag, go for it.  Make sure that you're shooting good ammo and I'd make sure that they're close enough for a head shot for the most part.  That probably means 25-50 yards.  I'm sure most of us can hit a 4-6" target at 100 yards without too much problem but when it's moving, you're excited and you're trying to keep from being seen, smelled, etc. that range shrinks suddenly.  If it's with a pistol, I'd cut that range in half (unless you're related to Bishop and have that handgun shooting gene that they all seem to have :wink-yellow: )

yotegetter

Reaction score
If it's all you've got, go for it. Just be ready to take a few shots at him, which is difficult on a running shot with limted range caliber like the .22 Mag.

I'm not sure if it was you that shot that pig with the 30-30 at Tejon. If it is you, I'd definitely use that instead of the .22 Mag. My trusty 30-30 94E has claimed 2 yotes. No dancing, biting, twirling, but a quick drop at around 100 yards.

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
I could easily be mistaken, but doesn't a .22mag out of a pistol have about the same ballistics as a .22lr out of a rifle?  If that is the case I'd say not to use it.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom