22 WMR for Turkeys?

Muley

Reaction score
Hi Fellers. I've got a stupid question and don't have the current California DFG Regs in front of me.
Some of you know that I'm recuperating from a few heart operations and won't be shooting a shotgun for a few months yet. However, with Spring Turkey season coming up, I need to find something I can shoot. Is hunting turkeys shotgun only, or can a person use a 22WMR? I've hunted with an 870 during turkey season for many years and this is a question I never considered before. If it is legal, I could mate it with a scope with a red dot or the like. Any turkey within 1000 yards would be mine. Well, maybe I could revise that figure a little. Anyway, is using a 22WMR legal in California?
Thanks a lot,
Muley

MC

Reaction score
Yes Muley, shotguns,pellet guns of .20 cal. and firearms rilfles and pistols used for taking rabbits and squirrels, but not in L.A. Co.

Muley

Reaction score
MC...Thanks. Thats good news. At the moment I don't have a 22 Mag. Plenty of everything else. Years ago I shot varmints with a Mossberg 620 and loved it. At least this will give me an excuse to buy another gun and keep me hunting until I can handle my shotgun again.
Muley

Fubar

Reaction score
The legal methods to take turkeys in California are

1 Shotguns 10 guage or smaller holding no more than 3 shells and using no shot larger than size 2. You may use black powder shotguns.

2 Archery equipment using broadheads no smaller than 7/8 inch.

3 Pellet rifles shooting pellets .20 or larger

For information go to the DFG website
http://www.dfg.ca.gov
or check out the information in Jesses Hunting page

It is not legal to take turkeys in California with rifles or hand guns. No centerfire or rimfire weapons may be used.                              Fubar

Muley

Reaction score
Dang!!  You know you just ruined my whole day.  The only thing that may pull me through is that they are showing a "Tales of the Gun" marathon on the History channel.
I wonder why pellet guns would be legal and not center fire or rim fire guns?  No logic to some things.  Thanks for the DFG website, Fubar.  I'll look through it.  I should have had it on my "favorites" page anyway. Also, I'll try to find the info on Jesse's Hunting Page.
Thanks again.
muley
muley

Muley

Reaction score
See?  I'm so upset, I'm starting to stutter.

Fubar

Reaction score
Muley I have been looking at some .22 cal pellet guns. I would like to try taking a turkey with one. My friend bought one and is going to try one also.          Fubar

Muley

Reaction score
Fubar...I know they make some really accurate and powerfull pellet rifles now.  Over the years I've had a few. One of my favorites was a .177 Winchester pistol. Also, I've had a few spring operated one pump .22 cal rifles. I'm confident that if an old Tom was in about 10 yards or so, that a head shot with one of these would do him in good. Maybe even farther out, depending on the shooter.  Also, a second shot might be very possible due to the lack of noise.  It's something to think about.
muley

Whoadog

Reaction score
 Thank god they don't allow turkey hunting with a rifle in CA, if they did I would have to give up turkey hunting.  It is bad enough hunting with the crazies on public land with shotguns let alone guys shooting across canyons at them, you, or your decoys.

Brian

overunder

Reaction score
I just bought a RWS 22 cal pellet rifle a few months ago so I can hunt on some property inside the city limits without alarming the neighbors.The rifle spits out the pellets at 850 fps.With the BSA scope I mounted on it ,I can put the shots in a 1" ring at 25 yards consistantly.Not quite the same type of gun I had as a kid.Not a toy by any means.I'll let you guys know if I shoot a turkey with it this spring.

Muley

Reaction score
Overunder.....Great. I'll be looking for your report. I hope you let us know early. I may not have a 20 GA by then. I've held a RWS and aimed it at all the bird mounts on the walls in the gun shop, but never have fired one. I've heard they are really fast and accurate. Good luck. BTW, I saw a couple of nice Toms this morning. Unfortunately, on private land. I stopped and asked the nice lady if it would be possible to hunt on their property when season came around. I was able to make it back to my pickup without injuries, but it was close.
Good Luck,
muley

rlwright

Reaction score
overunder,  that should be more than enough fps. What kind of pellet are you using?

Top Bottom