24 1/2 pd bird

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 woke up to a clear morning this morning,Wasnt in no hurry because i was tired(just about didnt go)so i drove out to my spot,got there at 6:25 AM walked in and started down hill towards some birds on the next ridge that were gobbling,then on the hill i was on one let loose to my left and slightly down hill about 200 yrds away.
 So in a rush i looked for a high visible spot to set out my Dekes,got them set up then backed off of them about 25 yrds and set up,pulled out my slate and called soft like and he went nuts,after calling him to about 75 yrds(still out of my sight) i pulled out my trusty plunger box and just kept purring.I could hear him drumming as he came in,when i seen him he was at my dekes(There was a rise in the hill between me and him that the dekes were on)Strutting and mad,i give him a cluck and he dropped strut,BAMMM bird down at 6:50AM What a perfect day it was for me,im tickled to death.
 He weighed in at 24 1/2 pounds has spurs 1 1/4" long and a beard that measures 10 1/2"  I will post a pics today as soon as possible.He had some bare spots on his wings,dont know if it was from fighting or if it was from the flopping in the woods that took them off.
 Tommarow is a new week and my second tag is good then,heard several others tearing it up so maybe??????Also these Dekes are what made the difference,i dont know how it would have gone without them,i had a hen in the mate position and a jake behind her.

(Edited by Passthru at 2:49 pm on April 28, 2002)

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Wow. Sounds like a great hunt. And an awesome bird.

You hafta like those quick hunts now and again. Sounds like everything
went just right for you.  Good Luck with #2.

MBullism

Reaction score
6:25 to 6:50?  What the he!! were you waiting for?  LOL  Congrats!  You gotta love it when a "plan" (?) comes together!

woodsman

Reaction score
Nice! thats my kind of hunt ,get up late and still bag a bird (a big one to boot ) congrats:bounce-green:

(Edited by woodsman at 3:44 pm on April 28, 2002)

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Thanx guys,I was excited to say the least,this is my second biggest bird.Sorry about the file being so big.

RSB

Reaction score
Congrats Passthru! That is a big bird I hunt in south Miss never seen one there that big. I also had a turkey with a lot of feathers missing under the wings also the breast and a some tail feathers. Looked where I shot him the feathers were not there.

KIDKY

Reaction score
way to go passthru, in KY we call that one a biggern!!

:toast-yellow:

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Good One Jeff,

you make it sound EASY  ha ha

My biggest has been slightly under 23 lbs I got 3 years ago (how come they are never slightly over?) in Phelps County too.  My buddy got a 24-1/2 lb in Phelps last week over by Anutt but it only had 3/4" spurrs

Good Luck with your 2nd bird, I've yet to get my 1st and am afraid the Season is about over, they been gobbling a long time

See Ya!

Tinhorn

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 It aint over till the fat bird sings:smile-big-blue: i think they will gobble most of the season this year,for some reason i think the weather around here has delayed their hormones somewhat:smile-big-blue:

rrmcgruff

Reaction score
Good story,  

Hey I am a newbie at this, what did you mean by the Plunger Box?  It is a push pull yelper.

I liked how you set up the tom with sending out the contentment calls--purrs,  I have been  working on that technique out here,  purring and cluck on my box call.  My push pull is really scratchy when I try the slow motion to get purrs.  Should I worry about it?

It is a plastic, knight and Hale model.

Any thoughts?

Thonzberry

Reaction score
passthru, Congrats on the big fat bird. take a bite for me.:eat-burger: cheers :toast-yellow:

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Nice turkey Passthru. Them fat turkeys are an ordeal to drag out if you have to hike in vvery far.

Can you post a pic of those bare spots you mentioned in his wings? How big were the bare spots?

Welby

Reaction score
Great bird, Passthru!  Great bird!  It's funny how after hiking a half mile or more back to the vehicle they all feel about 100lbs.  I'm glad yours only shrunk to 24lbs...that is a really big bird.

We wanna see beards and spurs and Spectr17 wants to see bare spots??  I know, I know...just kidding.  I couldn't resist.

If you don't mind, Spectr17, what are you looking for in the bare spots?

killinturks

Reaction score
goodun, hey mcgruff, is that one of the adjustable calls? theirs is supposed to have a knob that you can dial it in with. ive never used one thats just what i saw in the ad.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 hey im sorry i didnt see the post Jesse,here is the best pic i could find that showed the bare spots,these bare spots looked as if they had been plucked clean and was kinda bloody,whitch leads me to believe he lost them from fighting,my gun is covering the one on the left wing but the size of the spots were about 4" in circumfrence. wish i had thought to take a close pic of them.
 KillinTurks,I never thought of taking a pic of the spurs but i did cut them off and save them,i guess i could scan them with a ruler beside them,ill try that tommarow.
 I only have 2 more days to get # 2 and it doesnt look good i can tell you.

(Edited by Passthru at 12:49 am on May 11, 2002)

killinturks

Reaction score
dont give up. it can happen at the last minute. a friend of mine got his first bird after 4 years of trying last saturday at 4:45 pm. hunting ends at 5:00 here.it was just a jake but he was pretty tickled, and  i dont believe a trophy should be measured according to standards set by others as long as an animal is taken legally and sportsmanlike.

Top Bottom