24hr/day/night option

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Question:

I have tested the day/night/24hr option up and down and I have come across a question for ya'll.  Lets say you had your camera set to take pictures in the day only would you want the PIC to count the times it triggered at night as well.

In other words the PIC would count every time it was triggered more like an event counter whether it was setup for day or night mode.  The PIC would not take a picture but it would count.
This is the way I have it now but I thought I would ask to see what every one thinks.

Count all the time or just when it should take a picture.

Just about got it all working really well and it draws zero additional power to have this option on the PIC.  It costs more because I had to use addressable switches to free up a pin for the CDS cell.  It will cost about six dollars more and will probably only be available on a preassembled board.

Operation:

ONce again I have used the existing buttons to make the change from 24hr to day/night.  Now when the PIC is powered up it waits about a minute for the RS or MS20 sensor to settle to keep from getting false triggers.  I used this dead time for the 24hr/day/night option.
Once you power the PIC up it will blink the LED.  During this time you can push the count button once and the LED will come on for three seconds this tells you that you are now out of 24hr mode.  Now if you push the count button again it will blink once for day mode and twice for night mode.  You can push the button over and over and toggle the day and night mode by watching the LED blink accordingly.  Once you are satisfied that you are in the correct mode just stop pushing the button and the PIC will wait the remaining time for the one minute delay and blink the LED once more to let you know you are now ready to take a picture.

If on power up you do not push the count button it will default to 24 hr mode automatically on every power up.  This way you cannot accidentally take it out of 24hr mode.

Example:  Power up the unit.  The LED will blink once. Now if I push the count button the LED will come on solid for three seconds.(if I do not push the count button at start up(after first blink) then the unit stays in 24hr mode automatically)  Now any push of the count button will toggle the day(one blink) and night (two blinks) from one to the other.  IF you stop pushing the count button it will go back and time out the normal one minute delay and do the usual confidence blink that it has started up and ready to take pictures.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I think having thr counter go continuously would be good. Just My openion.

Butch

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Thats a tough one.  Can't we have our cake and eat it too.  after all you can't eat cake if you don't have any, and what good is a cake if you can't eat it.  Seriously though, I guess just count all the time like you've got it.  I would rather have the option to do both, but then I would rather have been born rich and good looking too.  Great job,  I can't wait to try one.  Looks like a good option for my s100.    

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I think I'd like it the way you have it too:

<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>
In other words the PIC would count every time it was triggered more like an event counter whether it was setup for day or night mode.  The PIC would not take a picture but it would count.
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

As Always, Good Job!

Another Question:

on the Theft Shutdown Feature.   Do we have to wait for it to go into shutdown mode or can we enter the Re-Set code and reset the Theft shutdown counter back to zero?

Tinhorn

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
The way you have it sounds good to me Brian. Thanks for all your hard work.

jayber

Reaction score
Sounds good the way you have it.  Of course, I'll need a revised cheat sheet!  HeHe  But that sounds like a great option you've added.

(Edited by jayber at 8:45 am on April 24, 2002)

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Sounds like I will leave it as is and it will count the whole time.

Thanks for the info guys.

Tinhorn,

No the only way to clear the security is wait until it gets into this mode then enter the code.
Sorry.  I figured it was complicated enough with all the other stuff.

You can always cycle the power on and off until it reaches the security and then clear it if you don't know how many it has.

The chip allows you to put it in test mode so you never have to cycle the power on and off in the field to check your film.  This helps with the security feature too.

(Edited by Brian at 8:55 am on April 24, 2002)

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Brian,
I'd have to go with the count only while active (that's how I'm *trying* :-( to set up my code).  Without a time/date stamp on the event counts while pics are not being taken, the information is not really useful - you'd know something triggered the PIR, but not the timing of the events.

Maybe offer two different programs??

Archilochus

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I could definitely do that if someone didn't want it to count while not taking pictures.

NO problem. Might just be another option.

Top Bottom