24hr/day/night VS. Digital Clock

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I am looking at Two Options and I would like some opinions.

First,

24hr/day/night -- As ya'll know I have been working on the addition of the day/night/24hr options to my boards.  I have it working but it is difficult to do.  Each CDS cell(Arch has mentioned this before) requires its own tuning even when it is out of the same batch.  So the calibration numbers for one are not the same as for another.  This can be over come but it is a bit of a pain and time consuming on my part.

Second,

Ability to shutdown the PIC using an alarm clock.  I used one of my deer feeder clocks to alarm the PIC and set a flag so it would shutdown the PIC and associated functions until it received another alarm to turn things back on.  This works fine but the cost is somewhat expensive until you look at what you are getting.  The clock alone is $25 plus additional money for shipping.  I can't build an accurate clock for this amount of money and get the mounting hardward plus the operator interface(LCD and buttons) plus the accuracy of the clock.  The clock also has six alarms which would allow you to have three times for shutting the PIC down and waking it back up again.  It also has a test button which would allow you to alarm the PIC on and off.  The LED would flash when you alarm with the clock letting you know which mode it is in.  On power up the PIC would default to take pictures. The code required is minimal.  It does require a couple addressable switches which adds about $6 to free up a pin for the alarm.

I guess my question is this worth the addition for the cost.  The clock is ten times easier to deal with than the CDS cell and there are no more instructions for interfacing with the PIC except what you already know.  Set the alarm for turning it off and on.  You would have a test button for toggling it on and off manually.  The power on reset would default to 24hrs.

Any comments would be appreciated.  BTW,  After looking at the cost ya'll can put your hats back on.  Very expensive addition that the cheaper CDS cell can almost provide with a little more trouble.  I don't figure most will want either but I wanted to mention it none the less.

(Edited by Brian at 1:52 pm on May 1, 2002)

jayber

Reaction score
So, the total cost for the clock would be $31 ($25 clock, $6 switches) + shipping?  And the cost to use CDS cell again?  Just handy to have both in front of me when I 'comparison shop'.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Brian,
I used one of those electronic appliance timers from RS (#61-1060 - $19 on sale) to do just that with one of my older cams.
Works great!  Single AA batt lasts forever.
Only problem is the LCD panel stopped working at temps somewhere below +15F or so.  The LCD also must have gotten a bit frozen - there's some of that black stuff around the edges of the display.  The LCD does come back to life as temps climb.

What's the temp range on the timer you're using??  The RS is spec'ed to +32F

Arch

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Another Question:  would this option be available for the build-it-yourselfer.  I'm sure the difficulty in dealing with the addressable switches probably preclude this option, just wondering.  

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think I'd probibly use either at this time. Only reason I think anyone would really care is Camtracker has it. My 2cents.

Butch

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I plan to use mine on fort Chaffe this fall before bow season.  Thats just begging to loose a cam, I know, but I'm gonna try, but I dont want the coon hunters seeing it flash.  I don't want the Camera wasting film when the flash is off either.  I have also noticed that the deer behind my house really don't like the flash.   Everyone told me all kinds of great reasons why the corn was piling up, but I know it was the flash.  They watch me do yard work and all kinds of other things.  I watched them spook at it.  I turned it off and they came back.  Maybe jusy my deer are that way, but I would like only day pics on the feeder.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Spoiling your babys Elk. Entered Game and Fishes drawing yet?

Butch

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Yea I know but they love me.  Saw my 10 pt this week.  His knots are the same diameter as his ears and about three inches tall. He ought to be a bruiser this year.  I have an eight year old son and that buck is just about right for a starter buck.  he was a good 18"+ last year with descent mass.  may not make P&Y this year, but he'll be close.  No guns, to many houses around but my boys a pretty good shot with a crossbow.

Do you mean have I donated my $10 to the AGFC.  Not yet but I will.  I'd have to drive around for 24 hrs or so to make elk hunting feel right anyway.  

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I would like the clock. I know it adds a little cost but over time it would pay for itself by stopping false pics during the hot part of the day this summer. Thanks for all your hard work Brian.

(Edited by TNDEERHUNTER at 7:21 am on May 2, 2002)

Dbworld

Reaction score
Does calibrating the CDS cell require changes to the pic.  Or is this something that you can add that be calibrated by the user?

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Dbworld,

It does on my part but not on the user.  Each cell is different and I handle this ahead of time.
>>>>>
I have donated mine already.
>>>>>
I will use it to stop the flash for tresspassers this summer.  I had one destroyed last summer and I know it was late in the after noon and it flashed letting them know it was there because I have several pictures of people trespassing up till then and all of them were in the middle of the day.

Ark,

The do it yourselfer would be somewhat difficult.  I would have to label the addressable switches for which one was which and they would have to be placed accordingly causing the construction to be a little more difficult but I think it could be done.

>>>>>
Arch,

I say that timer and it does work great.  I built a deer feeder for a friend out of one of those.  It can also be used in place of the other one but the other one has all the mounting hardware included.  I think the temp range is the same for this one as well.  I don't live in a cold enough environment to know.
>>>>>
Jayber,

Yep.  The additional cost for the board would be $6 and then add the cost of the clock $25 plus shipping from spin-cast.

The additional cost for the CDS cell alone would be only $6.  not much of a comparison there huh.  The clock of course is easier but the CDS will work.

jayber

Reaction score
Brian,
I just think that you need to decide which design you'd like to deal with.  If people want them, they'll pay for them or look elsewhere.  You'll never make everyone happy.  I'd probably make it as easy on myself as possible, but hey, that's me!

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Jayber,

You are probably right but I like to get everyone's ideas to try and come up with the best solution.

Sometimes that is just not possible but it is how a lot of the stuff I offer now has come about.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The clock sounds interesting to me.......

Tinhorn

Latest Posts

Top Bottom