.250 Savage

Guard Dog

Reaction score
Hi all. I was visiting my parents a couple of weeks ago and I was talking to my dad about the fact that I wanted to buy a new rifle in a smaller caliber. The smallest thing I have now is a .270 and I wanted something smaller to chase yotes with. Any way, he opened up his magic gun closet and pulled out a .250 Savage that was never fired and still in the box! He gave it to me and said "go smoke em with this"! Anybody on the list have much experience with this gun? I went out and bought some rounds and the only thing I could find was 100 gr Remington's. Looking at the balistics on the box it looks like this should be a pretty good rifle out to about 200 - 250 yards. A little slower than the .223 / 22-250's but about the same energy. Any info or input is greatly appreciated.

Val

Reaction score
The 250 Savage was the first commercial ammunition that exceeded 3000 fps using an 87 grain bullet. The earlier ones had a 1 in 14 twist that made it ideal for the smaller weight pellets. The later models came out with the 1 in 10 twist that made them shoot the 100 grain pellets very well. My buddy has one and it's a very accurate rifle. With the 100 grain pellets it will do just fine on deer size game.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Great rifle. I know a pig guide who swears by his Savage 99. I'd love to have one in .250.

MNTNMAN

Reaction score
A Savage 99 in 250 is the no. 4 most wanted gun on my to buy list. There hard to find in good condition and priced in the working mans budget. Take care of it.

Guard Dog

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. When I got this thing I was looking to use it on varmints but maybe I'll break it out for some hog hunting when I go to Vandenburg AFB this fall. I wish it was a Savage 99 but it's not. It's a Remington chambered in .250 Savage. I think for a while remington was producing a different rifle every year in a kind of throw back or old school cartridge. That's what I was told this was. My dad got it in a trade for an old .41 Mag that he had laying around.

jmabbott888

Reaction score
I've got one, it's a 99 with an old Lyman All-American 4x scope on it & I love it. I'll sell every other gun & my wife & kids before I will get rid of it. I shoot mine with either 87gr hollowpoints or 90gr cast slugs & its just as accurate as my 243 I did sell. On pig my opinion is its probably a bit light but I've never tried it so I could be wrong. On deer, yote, squirrels, rabbit, bobcat & like size game its great. The other nice thing about it is both my kids ages 5 & 8 can shoot it without a problem except the stock is a bit long for the 5 yr old but he shoots it anyway lol.

jmabbott888

Reaction score
That was a pic of my youngest ready to shoot, here is another pic of the rifle

RayO

Reaction score
I have 99TD in 250-3000.I got it from an elderly friend a few years back.The bore didn't look to good but to my surprise it shot one ragged hole with his reloads at 100 yds.I've since made up two more barrels for it and really enjoy shooting this rifle.

Top Bottom