257wby mag. or 25-06 for elk?

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
without everybody throwing out the numerous types of .30cals and other fire power for elk,
if you had to use either the 257wbymag. or the 25-06, which would it be and why, pros&cons.
keep in mind ,shot placement is the key.both rifles are tack drivers in my personal experience.
let er rip..

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I've seen Elk go down with both. The most stunning kill was with the 257 Weatherby.

snoopdogg

Reaction score
I'd say 257wtby because some loads hit as hard or harder than standard 30.06 rounds. 25-06 is sweet too, but go with some power.

AZ Jim

Reaction score
If you base it soley on performance, then definately the .257 Weatherby.

If you want to take into considerstion the cost and availability of ammunition, the 25-06 gets the edge.

Here is a good website that you can look up and compare the ballistics.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/

AZ Jim

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hatchet... you know I'm dying to ask about something else you have (or had) in your arsenal that would be ideal for elk... but maybe this isn't for you?

Anyway, .257 Wby gives you the edge as far as oomph. I guess it's still considered a "quarter-bore", but it hits like something much larger, so it's a bit more forgiving when the shot isn't perfect.

With a patient hunter and skilled marksman at the trigger, either one would be fine.

By the way, in CO a couple years back I helped track a cow elk shot with the 25-06 with an imperfect hit. At two miles (by GPS) from the shot, six guys on foot and two horsemen finally had to give up the trail. If you've gotta use it, make your shot count.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
thanks guys for the replys, speck you are correct sir, my .325wsm is my go to for elk,this is for a buddy
who has both and is on the fence, i told him for sure go with the 257mag, shot placement is EVERYTHING.just thought i,d pick your guys brains to see if there was any first hand accounts, good or bad, thanks guys

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
E=M*V^2

(Energy = Mass * Velocity-squared)

You want more OOMPH, speed it up; you gain energy at the square of the velocity as opposed to mass.

The Wby has the speed that the -06 doesn't for the same bullet weight/diameter, so it gets more whoop-dee-do to the Elk at range. And when you add velocity, the trajectory gets flatter since gravity is a constant (at least it has been all my life).

I've never hunted Elk, but from what I read here, Speck is right. Do it if you have to, but if you have a larger choice, take it.

Advertisement

Top Bottom