270 copper load. What are your recipes?

k_rad

Picked up a Tikka T3 in 270 with Leopold VX3i 4x14x40. It has the CBS system so I want to start reloading my own to try and make a long range hunter out of it. I laser bored at 25 ft. Then off to the range. First three groups were at 50 yds. A bit of windage adjustment and the last two groups were at 100 yds. Super happy with the first 15 bullets through his rifle. "I should have listened to Lt. Damn a long time ago". These were 130g. Barns factory loads which I will most likely copy and then try a 140 and 150g. Since everything will be copper in a few year, I am never going to shoot any lead through this gun. I want to develop a copper load only and see what it can do. I am going to use the new IMR 4166 with the anti copper fowling ingredient. What do you think? Does anyone have a starting load they like? Oh yeah and I have all Barns copper bullets to start...View attachment 88272View attachment 88273View attachment 88274View attachment 88275View attachment 88276View attachment 88277

ltdann

Told you! Tikka T3's are the most undervalued, underappreciated and accurate rifles on the market. Once you get the right ammo, you should be able to have three rounds touching @ 100 yards.
How about that action and trigger? Nice?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

k_rad

Told you! Tikka T3's are the most undervalued, underappreciated and accurate rifles on the market. Once you get the right ammo, you should be able to have three rounds touching @ 100 yards.
How about that action and trigger? Nice?

Trigger is drunken perfect, breaks like glass! That glass isn't bad either...

k_rad

I have 130 gr Hornady E-tips, 130, 140 and 150 grn.Barnes. The factory Barnes I bought are 130and that's what I posted the pictures of. Not too bad for first 15 rounds.

send from my stupid smart phone...

dunderee

I like the 4831 mixed with wlr primers and 150gr. Super accurate. Out of a winchester. Anti copper fouling, you just gave me some homework, thankyou.

ltdann

Dann do you roll your own, or are those factory bullets?

I started making my own....I can't find 30-06 150gr e-tips on the shelf anywhere. After 2019, I doubt anyone will be able to find lead-free, anything, anywhere, at any price. So I went to Nosler, bought the bullets and asked them for the reloading recipe, which they provided. I followed the recipe for the most accurate load and it's right on the money.

I don't believe Nosler makes e-tips in anything but 130 gr for the .270. That's still plenty for deer and hogs....

My Tikka loves e-tips. Just as well since I find Barnes to be overpriced junk.

Attachments

Last edited:

k_rad

Nice to know. I have the 130 E tips and ballistics are great on them but I want to use this for Elk also so I will be trying the 140 and 150 Barnes just to have something a bit heavier for the larger animals. I also have the Leupold CDS so that should help a lot with shot placement . Going for Elk in Nov. In Colorado and a few years ago I had to pass on some 500+yd shots on seriously trophy animals. Want to feel confident out to 600. 130 seems just a bit light. What do you think?

k_rad

ltdann

I'd have to see the ballistics table, but I can't imagine a .270 dropping an elk at those distances.

Mr. Luckypants

They say you need 1500ft lbs for elk (debatable). I ran a quick calculation for 130gr E-tip @3000fps:

At 600yds: 7Kft elevation

Energy: 1297ft-lb
Velocity: 2120fps

I think you should be good to go as long as the velocity is above 1800fps. This is needed for the bullet to expand. I think 300fps buffer is good insurance.

k_rad

On this chart for the Winchester silver tip in 270 with 130 grain bullet the velocity at 500 yds is 1805 fps. According to Barnes the TSX needs 1800 to open. So that is cutting it close. Although that is a lead bullet I don't know what a copper bullet is going to do. I'll keep looking. I have a 3006 and a 7mm remember mag but they bot kick this should!t out of me. That's why I opted for the 270. Jack O'Connor seemed to think it was more than capable...

ltdann

500 yds is a long poke for the average Joe. Most folks don't get enough practice at that distance. A Lot can happen to a bullets flight in 500 yards.

Me? I'd go 7mm and just suck it up, buttercup!

Top Bottom