• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

270 copper load. What are your recipes?

k_rad

Here's a recoil chart to bring things into perspective

http://randywakeman.com/FullRecoilComparison.htm

You'll note that the 7mm rem mag has less felt recoil then a heavy 12 ga load. Recoil for a duck hunter should be old hat, hmmm? Nothing a PAST recoil pad can't handle anyway.
You forget skipper I have the Beretta A400 which has like seriously "minimal recoil"...
My problem with the 7Rem Mag that I have is that it was my father-in-laws and is (much like my ex-girl friends) a bit "shot out" as they say.
Thanks Lucky pants that is good to know about the elevation factor and the velocity advantage of the copper over lead...
My plan is to practice so much that it will be all about shot placement anyway. Thanks for all the input fellers, it is always much appreciated!
KR

ltdann

Good, you've got my curiosity up. Always looking for a better load for my Tikka, if there is one. Where'd you get those supplies?

k_rad

Good, you've got my curiosity up. Always looking for a better load for my Tikka, if there is one. Where'd you get those supplies?
Bass Pro and reloading store at Angeles range

send from my stupid smart phone...

k_rad

First round of loads. My COAL is pretty funky on the Barnes 150's as you'll see in the pictures. I also noticed that the trim length that was asked for seems off... it was hard to seat the Nosler E-tips because they kept slipping so I got them as close as I could and crimped everything...

The 150's compared to Barnes off the shelf

My set up

cjack

Hey k_rad! When are you heading back to Angeles? I'm shooting lead in Arizona for Elk hunt and my Tikka is dialed in for that but I have some work to do with the coppers for my California Deer hunt.

KTKT70

Any advice on were to start off with a 30-06 Remington 742 woodsmaster? The gun has only had leaded ammo shot in its 40 years. I just had the gun broke down and a full clean up of everything. Also replaced a few parts to get it back in top notch shape.

Is there a good place to start with getting my gun in shape for the field? Do I shoot a bunch of regular rounds and than switch to lead-free or would it be best to just use lead-free only all the time.

I do not have access to make my own rounds. I would definitely be interested in learning to reload but for now will just have to buy ammo. The rifle has had 3 test fires just to make sure it cycling right. Those rounds were lead if it matters.

Thank you for any and all help.

Last edited:

k_rad

Is round of loads,. I won't bore you with the details as it is my first set and pretty light loads. I also shot three round groups let the barrel cool between but put 6 rounds in each target so they look like 1.5" groups when they are really.5- .75" groups.

k_rad

Any advice on were to start off with a 30-06 Remington 742 woodsmaster? The gun has only had leaded ammo shot in its 40 years. I just had the gun broke down and a full clean up of everything. Also replaced a few parts to get it back in top notch shape.

Is there a good place to start with getting my gun in shape for the field? Do I shoot a bunch of regular rounds and than switch to lead-free or would it be best to just use lead-free only all the time.

I do not have access to make my own rounds. I would definitely be interested in learning to reload but for now will just have to buy ammo. The rifle has had 3 test fires just to make sure it cycling right. Those rounds were lead if it matters.

Thank you for any and all help.
Sorry KTK, IDK anything about that gun. Best place to start is at the range! Haha! You will just have to run factory ammo through it until you find what it likes... CJack, I sent an email.
KR

k_rad

So far the 130 TTSX shoot the best no matter what load I use. But I really want the 150 for Elk. Will keep trying hard to make it work but also found a new Barnes long range bullet. It only comes in 129 grn. But next to the 130 you can see the BC is a bit different. The 129LRX is on the top...

Mr. Luckypants

I would pick the upper left group. Play with seating depth and you should pull that right in. Vertical groupings is your enemy for "long" range shooting/hunting.

k_rad

Got some great groups with the 129 Barnes LRXs. Not so great with the 150's. They did good with the IMR 4166 anti copper fowling powder but the Hodgen4350 tighten up my groups even more. Now I just have to play with the COAL

Top Bottom