270 copper load. What are your recipes?

k_rad

Oops I doubled up here is the third decent group. Remember this is five shots...

send from my stupid smart phone...

Last edited:

ltdann

No. The couple of 270's I've shot seemed to kick more than my 06

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ltdann

The charts say they have about the same recoil energy, but......

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ltdann

I know, I know....doesn't seem to make sense to me. I can shoot my Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 and not really feel the recoil. I shoot my buddies big ole heavy .270 (with 130 gr I think) and I really notice it. Seems sharper somehow.

k_rad

Funny, that's one of the main reasons I switched to 270 from 06 because of the recoil...also the flatter shooting trajectory. Maybe the pad on your buddy's old gun is stiff...or it's just different perceptions. Any way I think I am getting the slower burning Enduron IMR powder. It is only 1 spot away from H4350 on the burn chart. The H4350 has the best groupd so far but it definitely leaves more residue than the IMR.

Mr. Luckypants

The lighter the bullet the less felt recoil. I shoot a 300WM and going from 180grn down to 130grn is like having a 8yr old punch you in the face vs. a grown man.

k_rad

The lighter the bullet the less felt recoil. I shoot a 300WM and going from 180grn down to 130grn is like having a 8yr old punch you in the face vs. a grown man.
Makes a lot of sense... Now narrowed down to the Barnes 129 grn. LRX and 4451 IMR with Enduron (anti-copper fouling).

k_rad

So the first round of final loads. 129 LRX Barnes w/ 53-54.5 graines of IMR 4451 playing with the COAL of 3.230 and less definitely a sweet spot in there...

Last edited:

k_rad

Had to wait for more Barnes LRX Bullets with a BC of 463 they are definitely the flattest shooter in my Tikka. Latest is down to 52grns of IMR 4451 now just have to narrow down the COAL

KTKT70

2 and 4 look nice.

I wonder what they would look like with a fourth round? I also don't know the order of fire but. It seems 2 are on point and than one is a pull. Maybe flinch or breath pattern. Would the fourth shot group tight with the 2 or shy off with the outsider? Just my thinking and learning out loud. Maybe 4 rounds is not necessary or guys have other technics. Thanks for all the good info.

Hope to have my 30-06 rounds soon. Can't wait to get out there and do these test.

Keep up the good work buddy.

Last edited:

k_rad

Yes I have noticed as I shrink the COAL on some of these loads the group gets tighter but there is always 1 wild flyer. Pretty sure that is from the bullet jump... Almost there though have a bunch of data to go through, just a couple more loads...

rogsworld

Wish I saw this thread sooner. I think you are on the right track with the Barnes LRX, between my buddy and myself we have taken six hogs between last year and this year although the bullets were 7 mm all except one Hog dropped in its tracks the other one made it about 15 yds, yes that bullet hit the opposite shoulder. If you want to shoot a long range elk you can borrow my 28 Nosler but your shoulder might not like it. Sorry pic won't post

Last edited:

k_rad

Roger, what's up?! Just to finish this discussion. I hit 5 out of six at 600 yds. That with about 15 mph gusts! Ready for Tejon

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom