270 win problems

Socal hunter

Reaction score
I am not a new reloader, I have a problem. I loaded up for my 270 with nossler balsitic tips. I now have not fired any because i can not close the bolt al the way. I am shooting in a savage 110. What is your overall finished dimensions length and width of the round. I can fully close the bolt with resized empty brass.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Did you check the overall loaded length? And are these resized once fired from your gun only?

RELH

Reaction score
Since you can chamber sized empty case, the shoulder of the case is not causing the problem. You either have a overlenght problem with the bullet, or the dia. of the case neck is too large after seating the bullet. If this is the problem, do not shoot any of the rounds due to possible very high pressures. Check your overall case lenght, in the event the cases have exceeded the max lenght due to previous firings, if that is ok, you will need to check the neck dia. after seating the bullet to make sure it is not oversized due to thick brass in the neck area. Most reloading books will give you the min.-max. measurements for the case.

RELH

ricciardelli

Reaction score
Are you crimping the bullets? If so, are you doing it the same time you are seating the bullets?

Cda55

Reaction score
I show a 130 Nosler BT is 3.33. Nosler Partition 160 at 3.335.

hamradiofan

Reaction score
Just went through this with my 300 winmag. Check overal case length. Mine was to long and had the same symptoms. Had to really push hard to close bolt. Unfortunately I shot mine a couple of times until I figured out the issue. See below.

Case length issue

Andy

almtnman

Reaction score
Originally posted by Socal hunter@Aug 13 2004, 11:29 PM
I am not a new reloader, I have a problem. I loaded up for my 270 with nossler balsitic tips. I now have not fired any because i can not close the bolt al the way. I am shooting in a savage 110. What is your overall finished dimensions length and width of the round. I can fully close the bolt with resized empty brass.
It could be one of two problems. The brass might have expanded (got longer) if they have been reloaded several times or you have the bullets seated out too far in the case. If you are trying to seat your bullets close to the riflings for accuracy, you must make sure the cases are all trimmed to the exact same length.

deerhunter1

Reaction score
Had the same problem when i accudentally picked up some 30-06 and threw them up with my 270 brass. i adjusted the dies when i loaded the 30-06 brass but forgot to put them to theit origional setting. the brass was puckering at the neck . adjusted my dies and no more problems. also might waunt to clean your dies the air vent may be blocked.

Top Bottom