28 gauge choices?

Tonopah01

Reaction score
I haven't looked into shotguns in a very long time. Wondering about the 28 gauge. O/U or S/S. Who makes them now a days? I know that Ruger does and know that is a fine shotgun but half my family owes them and I am sort of interested in something different. Recommendations?

Sanger_Rainsford

Reaction score
It seems that there are now more offerings in 28 than in a long time.
My 28 is an SKB-made Weatherby Athena Grade III O/U. This model is a couple of years old, before Weatherby switched to Fausti for their gunmaker. There are still quite a few out on the market, if you look.
The SKB is a nice little gun, very lively. I particularly like the Prince-of-Wales grip that Weatherby put on it, and the fact that the barrels and chokes are proofed for steel. If (when?) the state bans lead shot, I'll still be good.
SKB also made a bunch of SxS's, under their name and for Ithaca. The model #'s below 385 have fixed chokes, and the 385/485 are tubed. Great guns, awesome wood.
Beretta, Browning, Ruger, and Weatherby are among the better-known brands offering 28 gauge O/U's. AyA, Fausti, Grulla, Ugartechea, and more expensive names offer SxS's. It all depends on what suits you and what you're willing to spend. But you get what you pay for. Buy a budget gun, especially in a less-bought gauge like 28, and you'll end up with budget manufacturing. I did that with another gun, and took a big loss selling it.
Just my .02.

Mntngoat

Reaction score
I have a Ruger Red Label in 28 and Franci makes a AL- 48 auto loader in a 28 I believe.

ML

brushstomper

Reaction score
Check this site out. I bought a SXS in twelve but they also have them in 28 gauge. I am very happy with the gun so far and I still have some money in the bank. For the price I think they are hard to beat.

http://www.dhshotguns.com/

myfriendis410

Reaction score
If you don't want a Ruger, look at the sub gauge Brownings and Beretta's. If you like a gas gun, the 1100 Remington Sporting is a nice one, and a lot less expensive. Of course, now you have to bend over and pick up those empties at $.20 each!

There is a company that is making a S X S based on the Ithaca/SKB model 280 that looks nice--I think it's Connecticut Valley Shotguns. They might have something interesting for you. What is your price range? You could get an AYA for less than $30,000 if you look long enough! Or how about a nice Merkel? Or a Rizinni? If you're like me, that ain't in the budget.

Advertisement

Top Bottom