3.5 mm stereo jacks

WSHUNTER

Reaction score
I am on my last step of my new game camera all I have to do is solder the wires from the camera to the female jack and the wires from my PIR to the male jack.  What I am wondering is from the camera which wire is positive and what tab is positive on the female 3.5mm jack.  Also also the other end I only have 2 wires coming from my PIR which one is positive and seeing there is 3 pins on the male 3.5mm jack, which ones is positive and which pin should I use for ground?

Hope someone can help me out    Thanks!

Lew

Reaction score
There are others that can give you a far better answer then me, however, usually the camera goes to a relay to connect the two wires.  Which is postive or negative is of no meaning.  The PIR goes to a timer and which in turn activates the relay.  You may have a system entirely different then one that I am familier with.  But that is my take on your question.  Lew

homer

Reaction score
WSHUNTER, The 2 wires coming off your relay and going to your camera don't carry any electrical current and so don't have a pos. and neg. side.  the relay is acting like a switch to touch the 2 wires together that are coming out of the camera.                

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
ummm, not to be contrary homer... but , The wires from the camera DO in fact carry current. In the case of the owl pf it is about 3.5 volts but I am not sure what the current is.
If you are wiring through a set of relay contacts (refered to as "dry contacts) polarity will not make a difference. But if you are wiring through any kind of semi conductor device such as an Opto Isolator or the doides used in the RS lcd counter then polarity will make a difference.
Remember, you short pins 5 & 6 together (positive) and 4 is the common (negatice).
Hope this helps

TmKarren

Reaction score
Hi WSHUNTER.  If it's a owl pf.  You want to connect the two you soldered close together at the top of the camera .  The single on on the bottom is the common.  On the male Jack  I just solder a wire jumping those two together and running to the PIR.  Then the common to the Pir.  I hope this helps.  On the 3.5mm female I solder the Common to the one on the side.  The other two to the ones on the end.  When you get this all together.  Just touch the two wires together that would normally go to the PIR.  It should take a picture.  I can draw you up something if you need more help!

(Edited by TmKarren at 4:57 am on Mar. 22, 2002)

WSHUNTER

Reaction score
THIS IS WSHUNTER IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT CAN ADD TO TMKARREN'S INFO ON THE 3.5 MM JACKS?

homer

Reaction score
shrtcirkt, I stand corrected. I did'nt know that, I guess there would have to be some kind of current to make the shutter activate.  Thanks Homer.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom