3 legged coyote pics

songdog

Reaction score
Guess who's neighbor got a scanner for Christmas?  If these posts start getting irritating, just let me know and I'll stop but I thought I'd throw a few pics out there that might be interesting.

A while ago there was a thread talking about three legged coyotes.  I've shot two.  The first came in at a full run and we never even knew that it was missing a hind leg until we walked over to pick him up.  Shot him with a Winchester M70 Featherweight in .22-250.  He looked plenty healthy to us.

The second actually had the full leg there but it was withered (can't tell that well from the pic but it was the right rear leg).  You could tell from the pad that it never hit the ground.  Shot this one with a Ruger M77/22H .22 Hornet.  He also seemed plenty fat and healthy.

I don't know of any trapping in the area that these came from (same area) so I doubt that was the case.  As best I could tell, neither came from an injury.  They were both clean (no infection or scar tissue).

See something new every time you walk up to one of these...

andrew

Reaction score
Those are some weird coyotes with only three legs. That Featherweight is a real fine looking rifle. I just bought one in .270win and my next rifle will be a Featherweight in either 22-250 or .243win. Any suggestion on scope choices(I'm pretty partial to Leupold)?

songdog

Reaction score
Andrew,

At the time that Featherweight had a Zeiss 3-9x.  Awesome scope but a bit pricey.  The scope got moved to a rifle that I shoot a bit more than the Featherweight.  Right now it sports a 3-9x Vari X-II which works quite well.

Can't go wrong with Leupold.

B

BDOG

Hmmm! I see that the tripods are more common than I thought.I popped one a few years back that walked on three.The front leG looked like he tangled with a car.He was healthy but looked like he was in a lot of pain.That was until  he collided with a 60 grain hollow point.Then he felt fine.BDOG

songdog

Reaction score
I was just looking out my window a few minutes ago and a three legged coyote trotted by.  I live on the edge of the Nat'l Forest and there's a dirt fire road down about 100 yards below my house.  I see coyotes there moving up and down the road quite often.  This is the first time I've actually noticed that one only had three legs.  The other two were dead before I noticed.  He had a funny gait but it looked like he'd been doing it for a while and it didn't slow him up too much.  

I'm going to get out there and try and call him in.  Shouldn't be too hard given the fact that he's probably looking for any free meal he can get in on.

Dakota

Reaction score
My hunting partner whacked one while we were pheasant hunting in MT last year.  I kicked him out of some heavy brush and he ran right into my partner.  Neither of us realized he was minus a rear leg until we took a closer look.  He was healthy and sprinted just fine on three legs.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom