30-06 Federal and Hornady

BDB

Reaction score
Hey guys. I know questions along these lines have been asked before but I did my research (searched prior posts) and am still a little unclear on a few things since I am mostly a deer hunter and have always used Rem Core-Lokt shells.

I am going on a bull elk hunt in Oct and plan to use my 30-06. I have been looking into some premium shells with well constructed bullets. The major advice I have seen here is if you want a little more energy from your trusty old 30-06 to go with something like a Federal High Energy loads or Hornady light mags.

Seeing as I am not well versed in the better quality controlled expansion bullet types I have been trying to figure out what to buy.

For Federal I am leaning towards the Premium Vital*Shock line which is geared for Large/Heavy game and is recommended by them for elk. Here are the options I was thinking about: 165 and 180 grain in the Nosler Partition and the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. The "Federal Ammo Expert" in their bullet selection quide says the TBBC in 180 for elk.

165 Nosler Partition Muzzle:2830 fps / 2935 ft-lb. 100Y:1.8" 200Y:zero 300Y:-7.9"
165 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Muzzle:3000 fps/3300 ft-lb. 100Y:1.6" 200Y:zero 300Y:-7.3
180 Nosler Partition Muzzle: 2880fps / 3315 ft-lb. 100Y:1.7" 200Y:zero 300Y:-7.2
180 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Muzzle:2880 fps / 3315 ft-lb. 100Y:1.8 200:zero 300Y:-7.9

I looked at the Hornady site but I really don't know anything about the construction of the bullets they had listed and they don't seem to have any type of recommneded shells that you can determine by use.

I have always liked Federal shells in my other guns and obviously I will try a few things to see which one gun likes the best. Currently I'm leaning towards the 180 grain TBBC. Any quick thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated as I am going to be ordering ammo soon so I can spend some quality time with smacking my shoulder up. For now I will just pump the 165 grain core-lokts down range for practice shots.

Thanks guys....

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey Steve,

My one and only experience was with these 180gr Nosler Partitions that I loaded myself. The more I read, the less convinced I am that the 180 gr bullet is necessary for elk, but they shoot really well from my Savage so I'm sticking with them.

Give me a call, and if you'd like to try some of these handloads out, or if you want to come over and try a recipe on my loading gear, I'd be glad to work it out with you.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I've been hand loading for the 06 for many years. And I've taken an elk or two.
I got away from the controlled expansion band wagon many years ago. For mule deer I went to the 165 Ballistic Tip due to the fact that Partitions were not putting the animal down as quickly as I wanted.

In my 7 mag I went from Partitions to Hornady 175 Interlocks. A friend of my has taken all of his elk with a 160 Speer Boattail.

I think that all the hype about bullet construction for North American big game basically filtered down from the poor performance of over the counter ammo in Africa. African game is much larger and tougher. Hence people started to design bullets for more penetration and larger wound chanels on African game.

I think you can take an elk with any factory loading. For the 06 I think 150 would be the minimum. 165 would be my choice. Shot placement is more important to me than picking the exact supposedly designed for big game bullet.

my last elk

DKScott

Banned
Reaction score
I don't handload, but I have used the Hornady Light Mags in 150gr and 165gr on antelope and mule deer. I am very impressed with them. They give near .300 WinMag ballistics with little increase in pressure or recoil. Recovered bullets were all intact and perfectly mushroomed. I didn't weigh them, but I suspect weight retention was very high. I believe the bullets are Interlocks

Supposedly, the powder and loading techniques are proprietary and cannot be duplicated by handloading.

widgnwhacker

Reaction score
I have used only Federal Premium 180gr Nosler Partition for hunting Elk. I have harvested a few elk here in Arizona with them and had no problems. Of course most of the shots were not much over 100yds. I hit a 6X6 Bull at just over 100yds in 1994 and knocked him off his feet. I think that shot placement is extremely important with such a big animal. Thats just my .02 worth but Im sticking to what works well for me

BDB

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. My first and only experience with elk was with a 165 Core-Lokt. 1 shot, 30 yard run, dead elk. Just trying to do my homework so I can be in the best position for my elk hunt come Oct.

Speck: Thanks for the offer, much appreciated but I think I'll just go with the over the counter ammo and not worry too much about playing with different hand loads. I am going to order a couple of different brands and see what the old girl likes to shoot best. I'll drop you a line when I am heading to Chabot, hopefully we can hook up for a little shooting again.

Steve

huntducks

Reaction score
Without batting an eye I would shoot 165gr core locks, I had a bullet comparison chart showing expansion it was 2 pages and I can't find page 2 or I would post it on JHO but the core locks where right there with the Noslers, many of the so call premium bullets did not expand enought and looked like FMJ. 165 or 180 for me what ever shot the best in your 06.

Tree Doc

Reaction score
You might consider the Federal Premium with the 165gr Sierra Gameking. Out of all the factory loads I have shot from my '06, that load is absolutely fantastic in MY gun. It is very accurate (1/2 moa with a trigger job and Hogue full bed stock) and it actually chronys right about where federal says it should (that's not normal). The Gameking is a very good bullet....not as explosive as a Ballistic Tip....not as solid as a Partition.

bighorn67

Reaction score
I use PMC Gold with the 168 gr Barnes XLC bullet. Barnes has come out with a new X bullet that is supposed to be awesome. All Barnes bullets are solid copper, so there is no lead core to separate. Give those a look. The link is below.

Dave

barnes

COHunter

Reaction score
I use Federal "High Energy" 180grain Nosler Partitions and love em'.

Last years deer went down so fast I didn't even get to see it happen. I wanted a load that would do everything for here in CO from Antelope to Bear.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I shoot the Hornady Light mag in 180gr BTSP. I shot the Federal High Energy with the 180gr. Nosler Partition and they just did not group well for me. The Hornady's give me consisitent <1" groups. I killed a 5pt bull at 328 yards. The bull was hit in the shoulder quartering to me a bit. The bullet travelled through the animal's vitals and lodged under the hide on the other side near the last rib. He ran downhill about 30 yards and fell. My buddy shot an elk with the same round at only 30 yards and it went down like it was hit with Thor's hammer. Bottom line is to buy a buch of boxes in 165 and 180 gr of both Federal and Hornady and see what shoot the best. Any of them will cleanly take elk if you do your part. I have also killed a pile of wild hogs with the same bullet and it has never let me down.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom