• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

30-06 rim bite trouble ????

KTKT70

Went to the range today and had some trouble. The brass did not eject and has a bite mark on the rim. I alone shot 3 times for fear of makeing the trouble worse. This is a older woodsmaster auto 30-06. Check out the brass and tell me what you think?? Thank you

KTKT70

The one still has the chunk. Not sure we're the other 2 chunks went. Kind of worried about this. Gun was on paper out the gate but not working just right yet.

KTKT70

Ok. I was wondering that. It was just some cheap test ammo. I have a whole box of custom loads to test. Just was not sure if I was doing damage to the gun. I shot 3 total shots and than packed it up.

what about the primer backing out? Same trouble as the bite??

Last edited:

Brnsvllyjohn

Years ago I owned 3 different Remington autos. I had a little trouble with extraction on one of the 30-06 guns when the chamber got a little "sticky". They must be kept very clean to function well. On the other hand I never had any pull the end off of the case like that. As others said try some different ammo and also clean the chamber. Those guns work well with good ammo and if you keep them clean.

Jake F

I'm not an expert by any means but we have a Remington pump 30-06 that is a B!T** to eject the brass if the casings are too long. We have to make extra sure we trim the cases for that gun. We reload all our own stuff. So we can shoot the same exact bullets out of 4 different 30-06's all others being bolt actions but with that gun being the only one this happens to. I'm wander if this is your problem. Cheep brass really stretches. So that's just my .02

Last edited:

Jake F

I am going to send your pic to my uncle who has been reloading for 40ish years. I'll let you know his thoughts.

Mr. Luckypants

Not the brass. I would guess it's the bullet type you are shooting. My guess it's a heavier longer bearing surface bullet and your rifle's rifling can't handle it. Try shooting ammo in the 150grn and see what happens.

KTKT70

Thanks for all the help. I just want to make sure I am not going to do damage to the gun. It is a older hand me down family gun. I hand it broke down and some new parts put on. But maybe it still needs a good cleaning and than try to shoot the custom loads. I stopped firing after the first few test shots. Was on paper from the start but called it a day after 3 rounds.

KTKT70

Got 7 different custom rounds I never even got to try out yet. Looks like more range time. Oh no. Don't twist my arm.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jake F

Lol nice! Hate going to the range! Lol. Have you personally shot this gun before? Any problems then? I just find it a little odd that factory bullets are doing that. I haven't heard from my uncle yet. He's on Alaska time... (Trying to get all yard stuff done before the freeze). Lol

quaildeath

Not that I am a huge reloader, but check your over all length (oal) too. That's a pretty big ding in the rim.

Jake F

Hi all I spoke to my uncle and he was saying that he thinks that the gun is ejecting the bullet before the bullet is finished it's firing process. Head space is what he said he would check first. Goes along with what's been said on the overall cartridge length. With the high pressures it's swelling the case up so it's hard to pull out which accounts for the chunk out of the rim. He echos my thoughts that his is odd from factory loads. His thoughts on why it's odd is that factory loads are not typically even coming close on head space. And usually factories and not very hot. He just is just basing this off of the picture. He said to see if it's a head space issue put a cartridge in the chamber and close it. Then take the cartridge out and see if there is scratches on the edges of the bullet. If it's engaging the riflings it should leave marks.

Jake F

He also noted that auto loaders have a different charge min and max when hand loading as compared to bolts and pump and such rifles. Just an FYI.

Mr. Luckypants

The proper way to check for head space is go/no go gauge. The other way (cheaper) is to put a piece of scotch tape on the base of the round and close the action. It shouldn't close as it's about .004" of an inch thicker. I do this with my go gauge when I chamber a new barrel. However, with brass it will give some so it might not be super accurate. I would close the action slowly or slower than usual and it shouldn't close. Of course do this at the range. :)

If it doesn't close then you're good to go. Checking for rifle marks on the bullet isn't an accurate way to check as a lot of folks shoot with the bullet "jammed" but you shouldn't see rifle markings on factory ammo though. So use a permanent marker (black) and paint the bullet and close the action. If it's touching the rifling then your head space is tight.

I doubt it's a head space issue though. My guess is it's a long bearing surface bullet. It makes sense since the dwell time when fired is much longer creating much more pressure. I would shoot 150grn factory ammo after you check your head space. :)

Last edited:

Jake F

Yes gage it if you have one. Was only trying to give a quick not scientific way to see. Like I said I'm not an expert by any stretch. I only load using my uncle's data. So easy a caveman can do it. (Me.... Redneck hillbilly).

JustGuy

Banned
Did you guys notice on one brass the primer protruding too far? executive pressure?
Also, they all sitting not uniform.
Take some regular store bought ammo first, it might resolve your problem.
Also, clean the chamber well.

KTKT70

It is factory. Sorry. Should have said this to start. I have custom loads ready to go. But I wanted to get on paper with the cheap stuff. I stopped shooting after a had the trouble 3 times. Was not sure if I was going to hurt the gun.

Attachments

Last edited:

JustGuy

Banned
Looks like a gun problem, very valuable advise here.
I'd start from cleaning the sh..t out of the chamber, make sure it is not stuck after the shot.
It looks like the casing is stuck inside the chamber and the extractor rips off the rim. Easy to check.

Head-spacing is also not out of the question.

Top Bottom