30-30 or 45-70?

BrittGSP818

Reaction score
Looking to get my first lever action. I will mostly be using it for pigs and deer but would also like to have a nice backpacking rifle for larger game as well. Would a 45-70 be versitial enough to take deer and pigs without blowing half the animal apart? I will be using the rifle for pigs and deer 99% of the time. Is it worth getting a much larger caliber for the very few times I MAY go for elk or moose down the line? With the new lever evolution ammo I thinking the 30-30 is very versitial as well. Any suggestions and advice is appreciated.

inchr48

Reaction score
Do you currently have a bolt action deer gun? If you already have a .270 or 30 cal. bolt action, I'd go for the 45-70. If you don't, the 30-30 is a good choice.

We can only use pistol rounds for center-fire rifle hunting in IN (Whitetails), so my lever gun is a 44 Mag. It is deer poison.

Really it's a coin toss for you, handle the different guns and see which one chooses you. Let us know.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
The Browning BLR is chambered in most common bolt-gun cartridges. It's not a bad choice either. As to the 30-30 vs. 45/70, both have killed a lot of game. The 30-30 is a bit flatter shooting but the 45/70 will do fine without too much meat damage. It all depends on the bullet used and where you hit it. I personally like the 45/70 for hogs 'cause it's WAY more authoritative than the .30 caliber. However; I use a Sharps which presents a different set of challenges than the lever gun.

BrittGSP818

Reaction score
I already have a 30-06 and a scoped sks, so my bolt action and semi auto needs for deer/pig are taken care of. I am looking for a more compact gun that I can lug through the brush. Although the Brownings are nice, they are a bit more than what I want to pay for for what I want to use this gun for. I also want to keep it with iron sights so I dont plan on taking game furher than 150 yards.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I selected the 45-70 Govt for numerous reasons. As a bear defense there is nothing better (which is why I selected it). You can buy all kinds of ammo for it and that's kinda nice. From buffalo rounds to deer ammo, there's a load for everything. Lots of ammo available too. Buffalo Bore makes some great stuff. I recently picked up a Rio Grande cuz it is light enough for packing in BC. Under 6lbs. Kicks like a mule but will drop anything I need it to.

BrittGSP818

Reaction score
I selected the 45-70 Govt for numerous reasons. As a bear defense there is nothing better (which is why I selected it). You can buy all kinds of ammo for it and that's kinda nice. From buffalo rounds to deer ammo, there's a load for everything. Lots of ammo available too. Buffalo Bore makes some great stuff. I recently picked up a Rio Grande cuz it is light enough for packing in BC. Under 6lbs. Kicks like a mule but will drop anything I need it to.

Sounds like what I am looking for. I was afraid that the 45-70 would be too much gun for deer and smaller pigs. But the versatility of the ammo available seems like this might be the caliber for me. Thanks for the help everyone!

myfriendis410

Reaction score
A 30-30 will be lighter in a lever gun, so you may want to factor that in. The Rossi is a pretty well made gun but there have been complaints about variable quality. I'm not a big fan of the new Marlin (Remlin) as the fit and finish has degraded considerably. If I were looking for a good lever gun I would haunt the auction sites and look for a good used one and bid on it.

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
A 30-30 will be lighter in a lever gun, so you may want to factor that in. The Rossi is a pretty well made gun but there have been complaints about variable quality. I'm not a big fan of the new Marlin (Remlin) as the fit and finish has degraded considerably. If I were looking for a good lever gun I would haunt the auction sites and look for a good used one and bid on it.
He's right and I was concerned about my Rossi however, the fit and finish was fine. I was pleasantly surprised and was prepared to incure gun smithing fees. Wasn't necessary.

bsanders8181

Reaction score
My brother has a Marlin in 30-30 and one in 45-70ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375513788.716139.jpg
This is the 45-70, shoots great. It's slower than a lot of the bolt calibers so I doubt meat damage would be an issue
I got a '94 from him in 30-30 and I like it but have yet to hunt with it
I have no doubts it will do what I ask for anything in CA

myfriendis410

Reaction score
The one I want to get is the Marlin 895 Cowboy. A fellow club member bought one a few years ago (before they were discontinued) and I shot it a bit. It has a 26" octagon barrel and a full under-barrel magazine. It has a really classic look to it. He has told me it's mine if I want to buy it but money is a bit tight right now. Maybe someday.......

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
I scoured the Earth for a trapper, seeking the smallest cowboy rifle I could. No luck. The Rossi was very affordable, kinda surprised how well built.

TheGDog

Reaction score
The .30-30 should be just fine. I had some of the same concerns about whether a .30-30 is enough for Bear. For our Black Bears it is fine.

There are plenty of videos showing people taking Black Bears and even Bull Moose with .30-30's.

Black Bear
[video=youtube;1g4xILwfY60]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g4xILwfY60[/video]
Moose
[video=youtube;6xZsgwPlLM0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xZsgwPlLM0[/video]

In Kalifornia you have to get Copper-only ammo anyway... so just get the Buffalo Bore Heavy Load. (Or some other manufacturers version) It uses the Barnes TSX bullet. It is pricey though. $47 for 20 rounds and $16 shipping. But most of the time you can just buy the cheapo regular stuff for your practicing.

Holy Krap... the 45-70 Heavy Load Lead-Free is $77.66 per 20... Eek!

Hog slayer

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with either gun. I own both and they will both kill a hog and deer no problem at all. Even though I favor my Marlin 45/70. The cost in the ammo will probably be more for the 45/70 but a fun gun to shoot. Quite more recoil that the 30/30 so that is something you should consider. About the meat damage. I shot a hog with the 45/70 using a Barnes bullet 300 grain. The bullet broke 5 ribs and exited through the sternum leaving a thumb size hole. Very little meat damage, if any compared to my 300 Mag. Good luck on your choice.

Top Bottom