30, 40 50mm optics Question

OPAH

Reaction score
Does a larger objective lens pull in more light?
Reason I am ready for a new scope, looking at a nice Leupold

Leupold VX-1 3-9x50 Rifle Scope, Duplex Reticle, Matte Black
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 customer reviews

| 6 answered questions

[HR][/HR][TABLE="class: a-lineitem, width: 392"]
[TR]
[TD="class: a-color-secondary a-size-base a-text-right a-nowrap, align: right"]Price:[/TD]
[TD="class: a-span12"][COLOR=#B12704 !important]$289.98[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]​
[TABLE="class: a-lineitem, width: 392"][TR][TD="class: a-span12"] Free Shipping for Prime Members
[COLOR=#111111 !important][/COLOR][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/COLOR]​

OPAH

Reaction score
I really like my old Bushnell but yes it is old and not what it use to be.
The 50 mm really pulled in the light new but why not now, was it just me
and not the big lens?
I have a hunting Partner with one of those to die for scopes with a 30mm and it
has not problem pulling in light at dusk

Revo2811

Reaction score
I really like my old Bushnell but yes it is old and not what it use to be.
The 50 mm really pulled in the light new but why not now, was it just me
and not the big lens?
I have a hunting Partner with one of those to die for scopes with a 30mm and it
has not problem pulling in light at dusk
Go with this - love this scope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

Reaction score
OPAH... take the measure in mm's of the objective end of the scope... and divide that by the Magnification. This will give you the measurement of the "Exit Pupil" of the scope to your eye.

Average healthy young adult, their Pupil can open up to 5mm. So any Exit Pupil measurement less than that is depriving your eye of the *possible* amount of light it can take in.

For example, my 1-3x20mm scope on the lever action... when it's at 1x...has an Exit Pupil of 20mm's. Simple enough. Way bigger and way more light than my eye could ever actually take in and make use of, as a result..for that scope...on that magnification... you can see what you're pointing at even until way into last light, presuming it's close enough to see. Likewise.. that same scope, when on 3x Magnification would be providing an Exit Pupil of 6.66mm, which is still nice and bright.

Now... let's what we get with a 3-9x50mm shall we?

50mm / 9x = 5.55mm Exit Pupil, so that's still darn good.
40mm / 9x = 4.44mm Exit Pupil, so as you can see that's just starting to be diminishing returns.

Anyhoo... you want at least the 5mm that your eye can take in, and having even more than that is better.
And a 30mm tube in-between gives you 5 for mm's of width for more light to travel thru it to the eye-piece.

I had this same dilemma recently. On a stand for predators in last light, the 2-7x32mm Crossfire II scope I had on my AR really was fading out quickly. Near to end of light about the highest magnification I could crank it up to and still see clear-ish around my decoy 100yds away was like 4x, tops. That sucker got dark too quick at last light.

So I just recently switched it out for a 3-9x50mm Crossfire II. I have a 3-9x40mm on my .17 HMR... so when I was at home the next day after experiencing that low-light problem with the smaller one... I waited until the same time of day and then took out that .17 HMR rifle and observed various targets I could view out my backyard in order to do a visual comparison. It was definitely better with the 40mm. And the weight wasn't much more for the 50mm in that model so I just said EFF it, my eyes ain't gettin' any better and went with that 50.

OPAH

Reaction score
Very interesting Gdog, I will keep this in mind. So a 10X with a 50mm objective gives me a 5mm exit pupil.
OK

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Opah in any given brand the larger the objective the better the light gathering ability. Some brands have better coatings and better glass so brand X in 40 might be brighter than brand Y in 50. Stick to a brand you are comfortable with and go with a 50 or 44 if you want more light. I own Leopold for the most part but I hear great things about Vortex as well as some others. You need to make sure your scope mounts can handle a 50 and if you get taller rings will it make the gun uncomfortable for you to shoot. The 44 might be a great compromise. Most of my scopes are 40.

Last edited:

OPAH

Reaction score
shooting with a 50mm on raised loops already love it fits me.
Thank you John and Revo. hey Revo you going to be around Sunday?
Going to be hanging out at Joes places for a bit Sunday, Maybe I can take a look at your Scope ?

Revo2811

Reaction score
shooting with a 50mm on raised loops already love it fits me.
Thank you John and Revo. hey Revo you going to be around Sunday?
Going to be hanging out at Joes places for a bit Sunday, Maybe I can take a look at your Scope ?
Sorry OPAH I’ll be going out fri-Sunday not sure what time I’ll be back Sunday
But any other time for sure- I’ll be taking my 7mm with me for a hunt(pig)

OPAH

Reaction score
So May friend how did the pig hunt go ?

Revo2811

Reaction score
We saw lots of signs in some water spots that we found. But didn’t see no piggies

Revo2811

Reaction score
I’ll be home this wknd if you want to check it out

OPAH

Reaction score
I'll be out with Joe at the refuge.
What did it run you, not a rich man by any means but I must have something outstanding to great in low light,

OPAH

Reaction score
I think I just feel in Love !!

Vortex Optics

Vortex Optics Crossfire II 3-12x56 AO Hog Hunter, Second Focal Plane Riflescope - V-Brite Illuminated Reticle (MOA)

4.7 out of 5 stars 79 customer reviews

• The 3-12x56 Adjustable Objective Hog Hunter Crossfire II riflescope excels when hunting in the lowest light. The V-Brite reticle and over-sized objective allow hunters to take shots from heavy cover with the utmost confidence in tough light conditions .
  • The adjustable objective provides image focus and parallax removal to the shooter while anti-reflective, fully multi-coated lenses provide bright and clear views.
  • With long eye relief and an ultra-forgiving eye box, you'll be able to quickly get a sight picture and acquire your target. The fast focus eyepiece allows quick and easy reticle focusing.
  • Capped reset turrets are finger adjustable with MOA clicks that can be reset to zero after sighting in.
  • A single piece tube constructed from aircraft grade aluminum ensures strength and shockproof performance. O-ring sealed and nitrogen purged, the Crossfire II delivers waterproof and fogproof performance.

New (25) from $299.00 Done Deal Bought it, it will be here it two days

Report incorrect product information.

Last edited:

Revo2811

Reaction score
I paid like 500.00
You can check out the Binos too
I have the new diamondbacks 12x50

Top Bottom