300 Remington Ultra Mag for Elk

Finally drew a great Elk tag this year and I am going to be breaking out the 300 Remington Ultra Mag, the rifle that I specifically bought for Elk hunting. Any one else use this caliber on Elk ? Were you happy with the performance ?

freezer

What are your expectations for this cartridge and rifle? 30 cal is a good caliber for elk ad the 300 Ultra mag is capible of droping an elk. How familiar are you with the cartridge, rifle and scope.

freezer

That's one rifle I would not want to shoot! It pushes a 180 gr bullet at 3250fps and a 200 gr at 3100 fps. It will work very well on elk even at 300 yards. I'd just hate to ptatice with it and ammo can't be cheap. Oh and I'd were both plugs and muffs!

Aught-SixGuy

At 300 even? Lmao a 300 RUM if pushing a 185 grain Berger VLD will kill an elk at 1200 yards, if the shooter and his equipment are up to the task. And I second Land Cruiser's remark. Get a muzzle brake indeed. Just for comparison's sake, I kill elk with a .30-06 :)

hks95134

Banned
That's one rifle I would not want to shoot! It pushes a 180 gr bullet at 3250fps and a 200 gr at 3100 fps. It will work very well on elk even at 300 yards. I'd just hate to ptatice with it and ammo can't be cheap. Oh and I'd were both plugs and muffs!
Everyone has their own threshold of pain in rifles.

For me, the 300's are all ok whereas the 338's are too painful.

I love my 300 RUM. I came back to it from a 338 which I sold off.

hks95134

Banned
I shoot my 300 RUM an average of twice a year, once at the range just before the season, and once during the season. Maybe 10 rounds max per year.

The magnum rifles are NOT the kind of rifles to learn how to shoot with.

For learning, a 308 is infinitely better. For practicing, a 308 is also infinitely better. For everything else with a scoped hunting rifle, the 300 RUM is better.

JTA6498

I have no personal experience with the ultra mag but my brother in law used to shoot a 300 Remington short action ultra mag and it performed horribly. He used it on an elk hunt this last December and the bullets never expanded. At +\- 100 yrds both shots were straight pass throughs. The elk eventually went down but two shots in the vitals and he still ran a couple 100 yards.

motor-vater

I have one and have used it 2 times hunting. Once on a pig and once on a buffalo. Both times with a copper barnes bullet. Funny at close range it was cruel. I punched about 7 shots into a buffalo at about 75 yards. Bullets clean through with out doing enough damge to drop it.. Bad shooting I guess. But the pig at about 200 yards got distroyed with one shot. I mean blown the eff up... Kinda gross, ruined alot of meat. Moral of the storey is experament with rounds to find the right one. I would hate to waste any elk meat...

freezer

IMHO most folk should shoot at large game past 300 yards. The rifle and cartridge may be capible if it but....
Long distance range are few and far between and shots farther than 300 yards take pratice.

Aught-SixGuy

I have no personal experience with the ultra mag but my brother in law used to shoot a 300 Remington short action ultra mag and it performed horribly. He used it on an elk hunt this last December and the bullets never expanded. At +\- 100 yrds both shots were straight pass throughs. The elk eventually went down but two shots in the vitals and he still ran a couple 100 yards.
With what bullets?

Aught-SixGuy

IMHO most folk should shoot at large game past 300 yards. The rifle and cartridge may be capible if it but....
Long distance range are few and far between and shots farther than 300 yards take pratice.
I have had more opportunities at game over 300 yards than under. That's why I shoot LR. I practice all the way out to 800 yards because my rifle and hand loads will kill an elk that far. If you're really wanting to see something, check this out:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18
.243 dropping a cow at 688 yards with a 105 grain bullet.

Aught-SixGuy

These types of things definitely bring out the opinionated ones lol. Nothing wrong with an opinion, and I promise you won't offend me. My thought is that the .300 RUM is a fine elk gun, I find it to be too much for me but that's just me. And a 688 yard elk kill with a .243 is a damned fine shot. Most guys tend not to like the long range game, and that's cool. I enjoy the hell out of it.

hks95134

Banned
I am waiting for someone to chime-in and say that they think a 5.56x45mm can take out an elk, just like they think it can take out a deer.

No takers yet.

A 243 is not quite as bad as a 5.56 on big game like an elk, but I suppose you can kill almost anything (except brown bears) with almost everything.

There is plenty of literature on the 270 for elk, and very little on anything smaller than this.

So I am willing to stipulate that either the 270 or 30-06 or 300's are all great elk rifles.

mike_cook82

As JTA stated above, I put my first round into the elk and should have put him down right there. It didnt and he walked it off like nothing had happened. Even the second round didn't have the same effect that my 7MM remington mag had a couple of years ago. I consulted a friend of mine who shoots long distance for a living, and he said the problem is the all copper bullets with the ballistic teflon tip. His explanation was that those tips dont cause the bullet to expand unless they hit bone. And they are simply moving too fast at the point of impact for that tip to work at all. My second shot had went between the ribs and right through his lungs and never expanded and there wasnt the tell tale "blood meat" that you typically see with a wound like that. I couldnt find any all copper bullets without the ballistic tip. His suggestion was to get hollowpoints and hand load. Finding the ammo for that hunt was a pain in the ass. If I had to do it again, I would have stuck with my trusty 7mm with the Barnes TSX hollowpoints.

And as for using a 5.56 for deer, when I lived in Florida and it was still legal to use a 5.56, I took quite a few deer with my AR-15 and I've seen numerous friends do the same. It's all in shot placement.

mike_cook82

I was using customs cartridges from midway USA. The bullets were Nosler E-tips and the cartidges were Hornady. Great flat shooting bullet. That ballistic tip is terrible

Top Bottom