300 Remington Ultra Mag

Reuben

Reaction score
Not to brag or anything, but i am sooooo excited! I just ordered my riflle today. I have to wait the 10 day waiting period and then its off to the range. I went ahead and bought a 300 Remington Ultra Mag with the synthetic grey wood stock and the Stainless Steel Barrel. After hours of researching any and all caiber and ballistics data i realized there is no right answer. It's all about what you want to shoot and are interested in shooting at the time of your purchase. I have shot a 30-06 all my life and had excellent results with it. I just fell in love with this caliber, its ballistics, and the versatility this caliber offers with larger big game animals like Elk, Black Bear, Brown Bear, Carribou, Moose and long shots on sheep. I have some plans to eventually take this gun on a few Alaskan trips (nothing even close to being planned yet) in the future, and i just wanted to get started by getting this gun. I cant quite afford the Leupold yet, but I've got time.

pbrdog

Reaction score
You forgot to mention pig, but it'll drop them too. Good huntin'.
pbrdog

Cda55

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a fine rifle coming.

DanD

Reaction score
Congrats Reuben, now what Leupold are you looking to put on that baby?

Reuben

Reaction score
Originally posted by DanD@Jun 14 2004, 08:25 PM
Congrats Reuben, now what Leupold are you looking to put on that baby?
Yeah i do feel obligated to put a sweet looking Leupold on that gun. I've never purchased a new rifle before and i am all geeked up about it. Man, i cant think about anything but this gun. Anyway, I was at the gun shop back home in Albuquerque this past weekend and i held both a silver and a matt Leupold to the gun. Both colors look real nice, but i think i am going with a silver Leupold. I was going to put a VX-II on this gun. However, right now i am not sure b/c i was looking at some sites on the net last night and for about $57 more dollars i can get a VX-III with a 2.5-8 x 40mm objective. Right now i am trying to debate in my mind whether a 4-12 X 40mm VX-II (@399 bucks) is a better option or should i go with the a 2-8 X 40mm VX-III (@456 bucks). There are just too many options, and they are all expensive. They are sweet scopes though. This gun just wouldn't look right with the 50 dollar K-mart Bushnells i have always used (without any problems i should add).

Who has the best prices on Leupold scopes?
Who has the best prices on ammo? (The "Cheaper than dirt" site seems to be the best i've seen so far)

Thanks guys, Reuben

DanD

Reaction score
Rueben,

I would look for a bit more scope than 2-8, the minimum I would look at would be 3-9 and just go up from there. I most cases you will never bring the scope down below 4-5 power even for a 50 yard shot. That 4-12 would be real nice sitting on top of that gun.

Have you checked prices at Natchezes or Midway? Both very reputable places.

Good luck,

Cahunter

Reaction score
I have a bushnell elite 4200 and love it, it better then the leupold that I have used for about 50 dollars less. congradulations on the rifle sounds like a winner.

Reuben

Reaction score
Originally posted by DanD@Jun 15 2004, 10:32 AM
I most cases you will never bring the scope down below 4-5 power even for a 50 yard shot. That 4-12 would be real nice sitting on top of that gun.
DanD, thanks. I agree that we should at least have the 3 power b/c i have never taken my scope off the 4 power when hunting. I usually always have the scope on 4 power during the entire hunt, including the shot.

The 4-12 X40mm in silver is the one i am leaning towards. I just got to figure if i want to spend on the VX-III or the VX-II. I probably cant go wrong either way.

Thanks for the sites and i'll check them out.

Reuben

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cahunter@Jun 15 2004, 11:19 AM
I have a bushnell elite 4200 and love it, it better then the leupold that I have used for about 50 dollars less. congradulations on the rifle sounds like a winner.
I thought about going with a high end scope from another brand. (ie.. Bushnell). I have always had low end Bushnell's on our rifles growing up. They have been in all kinds of weather and in all types of lighting situations. To be honest they have performed perfectly. They averaged in price from 30-60 bucks. A truely great product for the price. Since their low end scopes are so good, i figure their high dollar models must be excellent also.

However, i think i am going with the Leupold for this rifle. Perhaps i am giving in to peer preasure, trying to keep up with the Jones's, or just falling victim to advertising and name brand. Whichever it is, i think i am going with the Leupold.

harleydavidone

Reaction score
You might want to consider a muzzle brake on that dude if you are going to do much shooting!! It will knock the snot out of you!!!!!! I have had the 300 ultra mag for 3 years now and the break for 2, it really makes a nice shooting gun. My buddy bought one last year and after shooting one box of shells thru it he sent it out to be done also!!! It seems like it was under $200 and worth every penny....
I also have a Leupold 3.5x10x50 on it, and if I was to do it over I would of went with the 40mm.

Dave in LB

Reaction score
Vari X III with the new Boone and Crocket reticle would be a nice match. I thin it comes in 2.5-10 X 40. Check out bearbasin.com for prices they are rarely beat.

Reuben

Reaction score
Originally posted by harleydavidone@Jun 15 2004, 12:33 PM
I also have a Leupold 3.5x10x50 on it, and if I was to do it over I would of went with the 40mm.
Thats good to know. When you have all those options, you start thinking......well if 9 power is good, 12 power must be better, and thus 20 power must be perfect....and if a 40mm objective is good, a 50mm must be better..... and on and on...
Thanks for the advice.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Just speaking from personal experience and preference... in other words, my

Remember, you get what you paid for, and this is free.

Anyway, if this scope is primarily for big game hunting (and it is, according to your post) I wouldn't bother with higher than 10X. I'd also stick with a 40mm objective over the 50. Even with good glass, when you crank up over 10X, you're going to start seeing every shake and shiver. Once you get past 12X, you won't be able to maximize the scope without a solid bipod or other rest. Also, once you pass about 10X, you start dealing with parallax, which is just another thing to remember to adjust.

At 9X, you can see any big game animal quite well enough to place a clean killing shot at any ethical range. If you're not shooting prairie dogs at 400 yards, there's no real need for 12-power or higher, and you'll be handicapping yourself with weight and stability issues if you go bigger.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
When you have all those options, you start thinking......well if 9 power is good, 12 power must be better, and thus 20 power must be perfect....and if a 40mm objective is good, a 50mm must be better..... and on and on...[/b]
I fell into the same school of thought, and ended up with a 4-16x50 on my 30-06. Everything I ever shot with it was at 3 power. I could barely keep a sight picture at 16X, due to shaking, heat mirage, and narrow field of view. It weighed a ton, and added bulk to my rifle and the payoff was simply non-existent. I finally got smart, and switched to a VX-II 3-9x40 and never looked back. The scope is lighter, and it functions wonderfully. If I can't find the target at 9x, then I'm too far away or the target is gone.

I also found that with quality glass, that 40mm was every bit as bright as the 50 under normal hunting conditions. Since I don't hunt before or after legal time, that added light-gathering simply isn't relevant.

So there ya go.

GoneHuntin

Reaction score
Congrats on the new rifle Reuben. That 4-12 sounds like a good way to go. I went with the 50mm but not really necessary. I would say the vari-x III is a great scope. My father and I have 3 at the moment. I cann't really help you on the ammo as I load my own.

East Sloper

Reaction score
Reuben
I went through the same process as Speck with going from a 3x9x40 to a 6x18x50 then to a 4.5x14x40 and finally a 3x9x44. Got rid of them along the way with the exception of the 4.5x14x40 which I am going back to. I have shot the gun best with the 4.5x14x40 and have the most confidence with it. My two cents...

If you are looking at Leupolds be sure you know what you are getting. They were unchanged for years and they were redesigned last/this year, so get the new technology rather than the old technology at the new technology price...

As far as ammo goes I would try the 180g Scirocco. Its a great performer on elk in the .300 RUM.
Good Luck

Reuben

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I really appreciate all the inputs and feed back about your experiences. It sure helps me and others not make some of the same mistakes and helps us get through the learning curve.

I had another question for all of you. It looks like i have two options with the Leupold scope mounts. I can buy either the single long one piece mount or the two piece mounts. I have not completely researched this out, but i have put in a good effort attempting to read the Leupold catalog and talking to a salesman at Turners here in socal. As of yet, i have not figured out much. I understand the two piece gives you a little more room to manipulate the action. I have also heard the one piece is a little more "bomber" or sturdy.

What are all of your feelings on the available options?

Thanks

harleydavidone

Reaction score
I went with the two piece because it looks better and it is easier to get the fingers into the action. I have never had a strength issue with them.

Reuben

Reaction score
Originally posted by harleydavidone@Jun 17 2004, 06:09 AM
I went with the two piece because it looks better
The salesman at the store really pushed the one piece mounts, but i had sort of been thinking that two piece looked a little sportier. (or looked cool.....and i may not bag anything but i want that beast to look good while I lug it around)

Reuben

Reaction score
I couldn't stand it any longer. I called Bear Basin and ordered my Scope. I ordered the VX-III, 3-10 X40mm, in Silver, with two piece base mounts. I did not really have the money, but what was i going to do next week when i pick up the rifle and can only stare at it b/c it has no scope. I thought about picking up the Leupold mounts and rings and then just putting a inexpensive Bushnell on the gun until i could afford the Luepold. However, i was going to spend 50-60 bucks and i thought, "i might as well just put the 50-60 bucks into the scope now and that will make up the difference in price between the VX-II and the VX-III."

It's all a bunch of excuses, i wanted that VX-III really bad and so i just charged it. I'll have to deal with my wife in a few weeks, but that will be easier than just starring at my new rifle that i cant shoot b/c i have no scope. Man, i have such a bad shooting/firearms jones right now.

Top Bottom