.300 too much gun for...

kinglongshanks

Reaction score
..Whitetail?  I want to buy a new toy, errr, rifle or Missour Whitetails.  Anyone have an opinion?
 I already have a 1968 Browning 30.06, but I would like to get a bolt action.  Toying with getting a .300.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
A 300 is a whole lot of gun for Whitetail.  Too much? Well, that's a hard call.  But considering I've killed a lot of them stone dead with a .243...  it's definitely overkill.  Use the right round so you don't destroy half the meat, and you can make it work if you really need to.  

Anyway, I'd stick with that -06.  Plenty of gun for any American game.  And even an 06 can make a mess of a whitetail.

horseshoer

Reaction score
Since 1990 I have guided close to 150 hunters
in Wyoming and probably half brought 300's
be it Weatherby or Winchester and not one of
them could shoot them worth a dime.  Way to
much pain for no gain...On the other hand the best
shooters were guys w/guns w/light recoil (ie .243,
257,.270) And I have never seen a gun destroy
so much carcass in my life. I personally shoot a
7mm-08 light recoil, 140 gr Nosler Partition easy
to shoot. I know how it is with toys(guns) but do
yourself a favor and shoot one. Like spectr said
that is a lot of gun

Have Good Time Shopping

wmidbrook

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with you.  When the number of shooters out at the range quadruples each year before deer season opens, I am just amazed at what I see.

90% have severe flinching problems and are hard pressed to get a 6" or better group at 100 yds.  Lots of the magnum shooters have a tough time even "hitting paper."

So, if you can eek out a 2" or better group consistently with an 30-06, I'd consider moving up to a magnum.  Otherwise, I'd consider the extra-range a magnum gives you unethical to use.

Lot's of people get a flinch again after using a magnum.  Also, somewhere just after 10 shots with magnum, a shooters accuracy starts to decline since the inner ear is affected by the vibrations.

Robb

Reaction score
Have to agree that for Whitetail, the 300 is too much gun.  No doubt there are many that use the Mag. guns to make up for lack of shooting ability as well.  (It kills me to see or hear of someone wounding an animal with a gun that they can't shoot!!!)

I hunt with two individuals that use Weatherby 300 Mags for elk.  These two have been hunting for more than 60 years between them, and without fail, are the finest shots in our hunting group year after year.  The ares that we hunt regularly call for 300+ yd. shots, and the 300 mags are a great gun for this purpose!

I personally hunt Weatherby 7mm and 270 mags.  Love the guns.  Holding groups at 100/200/300 yards is not a problem. (even after 10+ shots at a range) Shooting the 300 Weatherby mag...I admit, I don't like it.  They kick like crazy!

Just wanted to make the point that there is a purpose and, without a doubt, very high quality hunters that use the 300 mags...

Best of luck and be safe out there!!  (no matter what round you're shooting)  

kinglongshanks

Reaction score
Yea, you guys are right about being too much gun.  Maybe I'll look intro a 270.  Thanks!

Speckmisser

Reaction score
That's a much better call, King.  That 270 is an awesome round, especially for its size.  Much easier to shoot, too.

songdog

Reaction score
Just my two cents, but anyone who tells you that a .270 isn't enough gun for North American game has been reading too many magazines and not spending enough time hunting.  

I've seen more elk killed with a .270 Winchester than any other round not to mention whitetail and mule deer.  Even the big ugly pigs that we get around here seem to drop without a problem.  They can be tough to kill but most of the ones that require 3-4 shots seem to have been hit in the ham, then gut, then leg, etc.  You get the picture... it's about hitting what you're aiming at.

I've shot a friends .300 Weatherby and it's enough to make a grown man cry.  I'd gladly shoot my Ruger #1 in .375 H&H over his .300 Weatherby.  It's much more of a firm push than the sharp recoil you get from the overbored .300s and I have yet to find anything that I could drop with a .300 that the .375 wouldn't drop with equal or geater authority.

Off all the guns in my safe right now I'm realizing that I have nothing between the .270 and .375...  Just an opinion so take it for what it's worth.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
I've got a collection of rifles from .17 rem to a collectible 378 Wby which is unfired.  I take my .270 featherweight, 3006 rem 7600, 7mm mag savage, and my 300 Wby Mag, all for backup and for fun, when I travel for Colorado elk.  I only weigh 140 lbs. but have no problems with flinch with the 300 Wby on the bench.  But it is the heaviest rifle of all, in my arms, and the most difficult to swing fast on close moving game -- even in open country.  The slow handling, for me, of the 300 Wby. is why I use either the .270 or the 7 mag when hunting in California.  I don't use my .243 much because it is heavier than my .270 Featherweight (both are Model 70's).

300BOSS

Reaction score
Guys.  The 300 is a great choice for all around hunting in N America.  I've used it to shoot pig and blacktail in CA.  Meat damamge was no worse than a smaller calibar.  Bullet design and weight are the factors. Fast or controlled expansion. Light skin, fast.  Large game controlled.  My 300 consistently shoots .5 groups with the BOSS system. I shoot 150 gr Power point.  I will shoot 165 gr Failsafe when I go for ELK this year.  Hold your firearm properly and you should always be surprised when it goes off.  Your adrenaline will quell recoil in the field.  How many times are you going to shoot your firearm in the field anyways?  Use a good pad when you practice on the range.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Yeah, my buddy has a 300 Win Mag with Boss in the Model 70 Classic and nailed a nice elk with it in Colorado last year -- one shot right through the center of the heart, so clean it was just a dime size tunnel.  He hit it with a quartering shot from behind, right behind the shoulder, and didn't waste a shred of meat.

kinglongshanks

Reaction score
My co-worker has told me that the .06 tears away too much meat, I find that hard to beleive!  He shoots 30-30 or a 243, and thats fine.  I've been Deer hunting for close to 30 years, and I've never seen my 30.06 destroy too much meat.  In my opinon, its better to have too much gun than too light of one.   However nothing beats a well placed shot no matter what one shoots!!:yackin:

davered1

Reaction score
kinglongshanks

Give some thought to a 25-06 before you buy anything.My buddy just bought a remington in 25-06 and it shoots like a dream,it shoots under a 1/2" group at 100(i am not joking) and he can shoot out to 400 without holding over the back.

IT is DEADLY

davered1

(Edited by davered1 at 4:51 pm on Sep. 21, 2001)

Drayton

Reaction score
I too had to answer this same question this year and decided on the 30.06.  
My hunting buddy, who is a Weatherby junkie, brought his arsenal to the range when I first shot my new 06. Let me tell ya, what a nice shooting cartridge the 30.06 is after punishing my shoulder with a Weatherby 300 and 378mag!

For the fun of it...I like the 378 mag since it was fitted with a muzzle break, nice tight groups but you need to really concentrate.

If I were to buy another toy (gun), my choice would be a 270.

As for my 30.06..."this looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship"

Corndog

Reaction score
Love my .270.  Don't even need to make it a Magnum.  Shoots flat as a dream and doesn't kick near as much as a 30-06.

Bullet selection and shot placement are the keys.  

kinglongshanks

Reaction score
davered1,
 There are 3 hunters in our hunting camp that have 25.06, and they just love 'em!  They like to go up to Wyoming and shoot Antalope with their beloved 25.06.  I'll give it some thought between the .270 and 25.06.  

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom